Keith Law is not impressed (in 2012, but he is in 2014)

Burg

Honestly? I don't see how this year's team sheds any light on an opinion from 2012.

The team was good in 2012. The organization was revitalized and set on a course that has established continued winning through 2014 at a level not seen by any Baltimore team since 1997. "Nuff Said.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Copy. Like I said, really odd thread bump. "Look at our 2014 season! That'll teach you for criticizing us in 2012!"

The team has been consistently good since then. Many folks including Keith felt 2012 was just luck. As it turned out the Red Sox 2013 season was.

Well. Law doesn't have anything to lose by saying that. If the O's lose in the ALDS he will say "hey look, I was right." If they lose in the ALCS he says "they were the best of a weak division but clearly were not the class of the AL." If they lose in the WS he says "best of the bunch in a weak AL this year. Clearly the best teams were in the NL."

The only way he can't spin it is if they win the WS.

The team has been consistently good since then. Many folks including Keith felt 2012 was just luck. As it turned out the Red Sox 2013 season was.

But the way the Sox were winning wasn't not sustainable. The years those players had one could maybe argue wasn't, and they would have ended up being right. But a team built on average starting pitching and an insane one-run record, if you had to put your life on the line and bet whether they would win 90 games again, you probably would have said "no."

Well. Law doesn't have anything to lose by saying that. If the O's lose in the ALDS he will say "hey look, I was right." If they lose in the ALDS he says "they were the best of a weak division but clearly were not the class of the AL." If they lose in the WS he says "best of the bunch in a weak AL this year. Clearly the best teams were in the NL."

The only way he can't spin it is if they win the WS.

I heard Law today on the radio and he basically indicated the O's are his team in the AL this year. And ironically enough, not for any metrics reason. He said, "there is just something about them going into the playoffs."

I heard Law today on the radio and he basically indicated the O's are his team in the AL this year. And ironically enough' date=' not for any metrics reason. He said, "there is just something about them going into the playoffs."[/quote']

I'm glad he has seen the light.

‎Fair point all around. I do think people confused "ability to repeat ridiculously good record in one-run and extra-inning games" with "ability to be good again." as it turns out, we haven't done the former (although we are still quite good in those situations) but we have certainly done the latter, in spades.

The team was good in 2012. The organization was revitalized and set on a course that has established continued winning through 2014 at a level not seen by any Baltimore team since 1997. "Nuff Said.

The fact that the team is good this year does not disprove the fact that 2012 was a year of crazy, improbable wins. This year's team is, IMO, much better than the team was in 2012.

It's not like we have the same team we had in 2012, and they have continued to perform at the same level ever since. The sample size for the 2012 team hasn't gotten any bigger. The team has changed and gotten better than it was in 2012, and thus we have continued to win. It doesn't really tell us any more about the 2012 team than we knew back then.

And I really think people need to get over Law's comments about the Orioles being lucky or a fluke, or whatever he said. It's not some deadly insult that demands satisfaction. But that's just me.

The fact that the team is good this year does not disprove the fact that 2012 was a year of crazy, improbable wins. This year's team is, IMO, much better than the team was in 2012.

It's not like we have the same team we had in 2012, and they have continued to perform at the same level ever since. The sample size for the 2012 team hasn't gotten any bigger. The team has changed and gotten better than it was in 2012, and thus we have continued to win. It doesn't really tell us any more about the 2012 team than we knew back then.

And I really think people need to get over Law's comments about the Orioles being lucky or a fluke, or whatever he said. It's not some deadly insult that demands satisfaction. But that's just me.

The team that won in 2012 continued to sustainable win, despite all predictions, in it's 2013 incarnation and of course the glorious 2014 version.

Specifically, I was not talking laundry, I was talking a sustainable winning model with the sustainable feeder system.

I'm with you, from 2012 to now DD and Buck have found ways to win, simple as that. This season seems to be of the more conventional variety but I think the excellent defense has been the constant.

Archived