Keith Law is not impressed (in 2012, but he is in 2014)

Burg

I don't serve as the board policeman. Bump away.

I'm just messing around. Hopefully the picture made that apparent.

I enjoy reading Keith Law's stuff which makes this topic stick out to me. I also had this very same arguement over email with a coworker. Went on for over a week. I also found it to be a very unifying topic on the board. Everyone loves to hate a villain.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with Law's assessment but give credit to him for sticking to his guns. I just don't see how "flukes" occur over 162 games. Statistical oddities? Sure. But statistical oddities aren't going to get you 30 wins. Maybe 5 or 6? Based on run differential, weren't we basically a .500 team? That's what we thought was reasonable for this club. They got the benefit of some luck and probably some long overdue corrections... but, I see .500 ballclubs as good. .600 ballclubs are great. Were we great this season? By no stretch of the imagination. Were we good? Absolutely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I never pay attention to what Keith Law writes or says. My attitude is we've had a great regular season and the Orioles have provided us with thrilling stuff. But realistically I don't see how we can sustain it in the playoffs without three key starters and a bonifide TOR ace. Hope I'm wrong and I will be happy to eat crow but just don't see it happening.:cool:

The quote is from 2012.

Al with the thread necro.

I'll tell you who IS impressed.

Me, by Steve Pearce, above average defender at two positions worth a sample size and 4.8 WAR baseball player. In 99 games. (!)

Imagine if he had played him at first base over the course of the entire season and traded Davis away for the future.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9957&position=1B/OF

We're just not that good. Keith was right. I mean, three consecutive winning seasons, AL East Division Champs, two trips to the ALDS in three years, and the second best record in the AL couldn't possibly indicate anything besides "it's a fluke", right?

Right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFaF7w177SNxkfUUofRX1BNnFWUVmxbkIzX2nQFLd6rehxjX1SIFSfw7MYPA

Honestly? I don't see how this year's team sheds any light on an opinion from 2012.

Archived