Where We Stand, My Take on Our Offense

brianod

I would make that trade in .00001 seconds flat. However I think there is just about zero chance that Tampa would take it. Why would any team want Brian Roberts no matter how much salary you eat? JJ they may have an interest in but for that team he is a rather expensive piece lol ...my guess is they would want someone less costly.

I do wish they would take that though cause Shields would be an awesome acquisition and Zobrist would fill a role nicely

I was listening to Madden talk about the O's on XM and it was very clear how highly regarded Hardy. For the quality he brings at that position compared to what they currently have, his 7 M is a bargain. And they desperately need aothe power bat at 1B/DH, so Davis would be a welcome addition, and very cheap. Raberts would be a throwoin ti give them an option at 2B, to replace Zobrist, and if we ate enough of his contract they could be interested. The main problem I see is trading within the division. But boy could we use Sheilds and Zobrist.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was listening to Madden talk about the O's on XM and it was very clear how highly regarded Hardy. For the quality he brings at that position compared to what they currently have, his 7 M is a bargain. And they desperately need aothe power bat at 1B/DH, so Davis would be a welcome addition, and very cheap. Raberts would be a throwoin ti give them an option at 2B, to replace Zobrist, and if we ate enough of his contract they could be interested. The main problem I see is trading within the division. But boy could we use Sheilds and Zobrist.

I am guessing they would want either Schoop or Flaherty rather than Roberts but for me that's still a deal I make in an instant. A rotation of Shields, Hammel, Chen, Tillman and Gonzo would be pretty nice IMO. Still leaves you lots of options if either Tillman or Gonzo regressed or struggled for some reason (though I really dont see that happening)

I am guessing they would want either Schoop or Flaherty rather than Roberts but for me that's still a deal I make in an instant. A rotation of Shields, Hammel, Chen, Tillman and Gonzo would be pretty nice IMO. Still leaves you lots of options if either Tillman or Gonzo regressed or struggled for some reason (though I really dont see that happening)
TB desperately needs offense. In getting Hardy and Davis they not only get 50 HR+ they get and upgrade at SS defensively at a very reasonable cost. If they want that, they'll take Roberts and cash and be happy. He could prove a welcome addition as well. They can afford to give up Sheilds at 9M with their SP, and they can use Brignac or Rodrigez at 2B, if Roberts is a bust. But your probably right. It makes more sense for them to trade Shields to TEX for Andrus.

TB desperately needs offense. In getting Hardy and Davis they not only get 50 HR+ they get and upgrade at SS defensively at a very reasonable cost. If they want that, they'll take Roberts and cash and be happy. He could prove a welcome addition as well. They can afford to give up Sheilds at 9M with their SP, and they can use Brignac or Rodrigez at 2B, if Roberts is a bust. But your probably right. It makes more sense for them to trade Shields to TEX for Andrus.

Which is why I was thinking that if its Schoop or Flaherty they may be more willing to take our deal.

Now if Tex wants Shields bad enough they can give up Andrus and unfortunately enough prospects to make it nearly impossible for us to match with the guys we would be willing to move.

I would do cartwheels if some variation of that deal netted us Shields and Zobrist though....be a very happy day in Oriole Land IMO

Which is why I was thinking that if its Schoop or Flaherty they may be more willing to take our deal.

Now if Tex wants Shields bad enough they can give up Andrus and unfortunately enough prospects to make it nearly impossible for us to match with the guys we would be willing to move.

I would do cartwheels if some variation of that deal netted us Shields and Zobrist though....be a very happy day in Oriole Land IMO

I don't think TEX would giveaup much more than Andrus. TB would be getting a lot more from the O's. But if they don't take Roberts, I don't do the deal. I need to move him to play Zobrist at 2B. Other wise it is costing me too much to give them both Davis and Hardy.I don't mind giving up Schoop but I don't want to eat Roberts contract. Davis is the juicy morsel I am dangling, he is a 30 HR guy who costs next to nothing.

I don't think TEX would giveaup much more than Andrus. TB would be getting a lot more from the O's. But if they don't take Roberts, I don't do the deal. I need to move him to play Zobrist at 2B. Other wise it is costing me too much to give them both Davis and Hardy.I don't mind giving up Schoop but I don't want to eat Roberts contract. Davis is the juicy morsel I am dangling, he is a 30 HR guy who costs next to nothing.

Man that would be sweet. Add: Shields, Zobrist, Napoli, McLouth, Reynolds and another LF/OF (wink wink lol) and lets bring back Kojii cause I love that dude :)

Lose: Davis, Flaherty or Roberts, JJ, Ayala? (replace him with Kojii)

Ok so in this scenario Gordo you got Manny at SS I assume, Zobrist at 2nd, Reynolds back at 1B, Napoli can DH, 2nd C, and some 1B if needed

Who is playing 3B though?

Why not trade Davis, Roberts(eat a big chunk of his salary) and Hardy to TB for Zobrist and Shields. Move Manny to SS play Zobrist at 2B and Flaherty/Andino at 3B? Sign Napoli and DH him with Betemit. Also let him back up Wieters.

No thanks. That would weaken our offense when we should be looking to add to it. It would also weaken our defense

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Brian Roberts is high up on many team's offseason wishlists whether we eat a lot of his contract or not.

He wouldn't be worth anything in a trade, given his contract he's a negative value regardless of how much contract we'd eat (unless we at it all). He's only worth something to the O's because we are already paying him.

He wouldn't be worth anything in a trade, given his contract he's a negative value regardless of how much contract we'd eat (unless we at it all). He's only worth something to the O's because we are already paying him.
I don't think you understand the trade. Roberts is a slary dump TB has to take in order to get Davis. Davis is power hitting 1B/DH who is still pre arb. Hardy at 7M is great value and 2M less than Shields. I'd throw in Arrieta, if that would help them take on some of Roberts money. And it is not out of the realm of possibility he could provide some value to TB. Zobrist is an ecellent fielding 2B(much better than Andino) with the second best OBP of all ML 2B. Shields is a true TOR. Idon't think there would be much of a fall off defensively at SS from JJ to Manny intitially, and given his offensive potential, it could prove a big upgrade. I think Andino/Flaherty could be OK at 3B, but you could pick up someone like Keppinger as a stop gap. Offensively we would be upgrading at 2B in a big way, possibly at SS, and signing Napoli, we would upgrading at BuC and RHDH. If anything, given the improvement on OBP, it is an overall offesive upgrade IMO.

I do like the Idea of Trading Chris Davis. He had a good year. He would garner intrest from other teams. Raw power is scarce sorce post steriod era. He does have Value And J.J. Hardy... I don't know if his value is as high after the year he just had. I feel like it might be more worth it keep him.

Are the Rays actually willing to trade in division like that though? Because, the Idea of Sending both them over to Tampa for Zobrist and such would be something im on board with. But dont the Rays think VERY highley of Zobrist?

But in Any case. I think DD should be throwing Davis's name out there and see who show intrest.

Targeting Shields and Zobrist makes a ton of sense. Just don't see Tampa Bay taking on Davis and Hardy as the main pieces. Tampa Bay is as cheap as they come. They aren't going to take Hardy's 7M contract and eat Robert's 10M. I see them going for younger, cheaper players. Davis could be part of it.
When you consider epaid Pena 7.25 M and Scott 6M, Hardy and what he brings is a steal, IMO. Also they will be losing Shields' 9M, plus not having to pay the 1.5 buyout, and Upton's 7M. I don't expect them to take on all of Roberts 10M, or even half. And I said I would throw in Arrieta if they are willing to eat some of that 10 M. Hardy is a big defensive up grade over Zobrist at at SS. and still gives them some pop at that position. They have been playing Brignac and Roderigez at 2B anyway, so adding Roberts to the mix there could only help.

And Davis could give them better numbers than Pena and Scott combined did last year, for 500K.

Just curious, but isn't Roberts a 10 and 5 guy? It could be difficult to trade him.
I seriously doubt Roberts would nix a trade, the O's are going the extra mile with him and Roberts is not that kind of guy. I think Roberts just wants a chance to see if he can still play. If he beomes convinced he can't, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired, letting the O's off the hook for the rest of his salary.

Archived