Where We Stand, My Take on Our Offense

brianod

In another thread, you accused me of not answering your question (which I feel I dd). I asked who you (not they) would guarantee the LF spot to.

I did answer your second question. :P

If his medicals are clean I would feel comfortable going forward with Reimold. Obviously if a reasonable trade or FA signing is there then you explore that. Given a choice between the teams current options (Reimold, Davis, McLouth, Avery and Hoes) I would go with a healthy Reimold.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who are doubting McLouth, he has said in a number of interviews that he went to Norfolk & worked down there with the staff & found a mechanical flaw & worked on it. Obviously, whatever he found he showed over 50+ games that he's been able to fix it and getting on track towards his prior all star abilities. I see absolutely no issue with going into next season as the primary LF vs right-handed pitchers & Reimold vs. lefties. Perhaps limiting Reimolds ab's at the start of the year may help preserve Reimold's health. With those two plus Jones & Markakis, that is a pretty solid outfield.

Reynolds would have been an easy buy-out candidate 3-4 months ago but if O's fans want someone with anywhere near his production, it's going to cost at least his $11 million or $12 million salary next year. Being comfortable at 1b going into spring training can only help.

No matter what anyone says, Roberts is going to get a shot at 2b based on his contract. Did you see BRob at the end of the season & playoffs. He was basically Buck's bench coach. He's going to be given every opportunity. I just say make it easier on him & put Markakis lead-off & either Hardy or McLouth in the two hole & bat Roberts ninth to take off pressure.

Obviously Hardy, Machado & Wieters are in their positions & I'm fine with Davis as the main DH with Betemit & Reimold to get some ab's, too.

I think signing McLouth is a no brainer, he won't cost that much in years and $$$, and worst case, you can replace him in LF with Davis or Reimold,, or a platoon of both and still have a good 4th OF in McLouth. Other wise the FA options are Hamilton, Bourn, Victorino or maybe Cody Ross.A lot more money for how much better production? Only Hamilton is a true MOO bat. Also you'd have to talk them into playing LF which would probably raise the price. Hardy and Davis to TB would look good to Madden. I wonder what we could get back for those two. Sheilds and who else? A trade like that would rearrange our offensve possibilities. Might be nice to sign Napoli as a DH/1B/back up C in that case.

I did answer your second question. :P

If his medicals are clean I would feel comfortable going forward with Reimold. Obviously if a reasonable trade or FA signing is there then you explore that. Given a choice between the teams current options (Reimold, Davis, McLouth, Avery and Hoes) I would go with a healthy Reimold.

Im glad your not running the show... Counting on Reimold to be anything other than the 4th OF or DH would be silly. Guy cant stay on the field.

Im glad your not running the show... Counting on Reimold to be anything other than the 4th OF or DH would be silly. Guy cant stay on the field.
IIRC he had a plantar fascia issue in the MiL. A bone spur that frayed his Achilles tendon in the MiL and ML, and this past year a neck injury that resulted from tumbling into the stands making a catch. How are these things related. If he is unjury prone it would have to be something like Nick Johnson or Segui, who seemed to have brittle bones, or Hamilton who playe recklessly, or Griffey who had chronic hamstring issues. Reimold's injuries do not stem from any one source. No reason to suppose that if he has fully recovered from the neck surgery he will injure himself again, any more than any other player IMO.

I think signing McLouth is a no brainer, he won't cost that much in years and $$$, and worst case, you can replace him in LF with Davis or Reimold,, or a platoon of both and still have a good 4th OF in McLouth. Other wise the FA options are Hamilton, Bourn, Victorino or maybe Cody Ross.A lot more money for how much better production? Only Hamilton is a true MOO bat. Also you'd have to talk them into playing LF which would probably raise the price. Hardy and Davis to TB would look good to Madden. I wonder what we could get back for those two. Sheilds and who else? A trade like that would rearrange our offensve possibilities. Might be nice to sign Napoli as a DH/1B/back up C in that case.

I'll ask you personally since its been ignored ... I dont see Nate taking a complimentary role (platoon or 4th OF). I think he will have options most notably with the smaller markets teams like Milwaukee, Kansas City, or some team like that at 3 years at $5 Million per.

I'll ask you personally since its been ignored ... I dont see Nate taking a complimentary role (platoon or 4th OF). I think he will have options most notably with the smaller markets teams like Milwaukee, Kansas City, or some team like that at 3 years at $5 Million per.

No way he gets a three year deal. I don't think he gets a two year deal. My guess is he gets a one year deal with an option.

I don't think any team is going to offer more than one year and 3M. He still has too prove he's back over the course of a full season. The O's will sign him to be the LF with Reimold as the 4th OF. But that doesn't mean things can't change if McLouth doesnt produce. Worst case is he is a 4th OF getting 1/3M.

C - Wieters, Teagarden - Matt is great defensively and great calling a game. His offense is underrated. He ended up sixth in homeruns and 5th in rbis for all catchers. The downside is that he is slow as molasses and hits into a lot of dps. I would leave the question on an extension open for another year, I don't believe what he did this year would justify a huge contract and I don't think his agent would allow him to sign a reasonable extension at this time. Despite Teagarden's propensity to get unbelievable, clutch hits, I think we should look to do better. Taylor hit .158 with a .226 obp. Nuff said.

1b - Mark Reynolds - Ironically, it's his defense that would make me want to resign him. He showed that when hot, he can carry a team. He also showed, when not, he's an offensive detriment. Along with a lot of his pals, his offense in the playoff run and the playoffs themselves was non existent. I'd shoot for two years, 15 million. If he wants much more, we can say bye bye without too much regret.

2b - Flaherty/Andino/Roberts/Quintanilla/Schoop - Roberts is done. I love Brian but depending on him for anything is a pipe dream. It's time to move on. We know what we have in Andino. He's an above average defensive player who can't hit righties but can hit lefties a little bit. Personally, I find Flaherty intriguing. His numbers for this year are horrible but he showed enough pop at the end to give himself a chance to win this job next year. Maybe I'm delusional but the thought of a 20-25 hr hitting lefty 2b at Camden Yards is enough to give him a chance to win the job in spring training. Quintanilla showed himself to be a stop gap. I'd thank him for his services and wish him well.

Most people look at 2b as our primary need but I think we can live with Flaherty/Andino and Schoop in AAA. Before we reach for someone else's 2b, let's let Flaherty show us what he can do.

SS - Hardy - I've read many posts about how we should attempt to trade him and move Manny to ss. The only problem with that is that we would then open up a terrible hole at 3b. JJ suffers because Buck asked too much from him. He should be hitting 7th or 8th. He led the team in hitting into dps (21) and had horrible obp. He needs to be moved out of the 2nd hole, even if we don't add offense in the offseason. He is a great defensive player at the most important defensive position in baseball. Keep him at SS but move him down.

3b - Machado - He would have more value at SS, assuming he could be above average defensively. However, right now, we have a great defensive SS and Manny has proven to be a great defensive 3B. His offense is still developing. I say keep him at 3B. Eventually, we will have to make a decision on whether his offense is good enough for 3b and whether we should move Hardy. For next year, I say leave him at 3B and give him an entire year at the plate. It may even take two years because he is so young but we can bide our time on this one.

LF - McLouth - Nate would be my starter going into spring training. He provides above average defense and above average base running. Those advocating making him into a 4th OF must realize that the genie is out of the bottle. We aren't putting it back in. If he doesn't start for us, he's not going to be happy being a back up. He has earned a starting spot and we should let him go into spring training as a starter.

CF - Jones - I'd rather see Adam as a 5th hitter with a stud #3 or #4 in front of him. He may not be able to handle being the best player and leader of the team. He may be better off being the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team. That being said, I'm glad we extended him and he's a stud in his prime. Not a perfect player but I don't see many perfect players out there.

RF - Nick - much more comfortable being a contributor then a team leader. Despite the success at leadoff, I don't think he's got the speed for that role. I would rather see McLouth leading off and Nick #2, moving Hardy deep down the lineup.

DH - Davis/Reimold/Betemit - Because of Nolan's lack of ability to stay on the field and his defensive struggles, I would use him as a right handed DH to go along with Chris Davis as the left handed DH. As of now, I would use Betemit as my bat off the bench against right handed pitching. Nolan's role could increase if McLouth returns to his recent norm or someone (inevitable) gets hurt.

Bottom line - We need another stud offensive player. Our offense totally disappeared against Tampa Bay (somewhat understandable) and the Yankees (not so much). The key here is that I believe we are good (or potentially good) at all positions and I would not target a position as much as I would an offensive player. Whoever the best offensive player available is, go get him. We have enough movable parts to adjust to the addition and no-one is so good that I would be worried about moving them or reducing their role.

I think this is a spot on analysis, but I would, since I agree with most everything you said.

My only question is, since like me you think most positions are pretty well set, where do fit in a 'stud offensive player'? I am having a problem figuring this out as well. I tend to think second base is the most logical answer, since I think it's our biggest weakness, but no obvious and easy answers present themselves there. Second baseman aren't generally 'stud offensive players', though I would be a happy with maybe less than a stud, and more just a high OBP guy with some speed and maybe a bit of power - but these guys don't grow on trees either.

I think this is a spot on analysis, but I would, since I agree with most everything you said.

My only question is, since like me you think most positions are pretty well set, where do fit in a 'stud offensive player'? I am having a problem figuring this out as well. I tend to think second base is the most logical answer, since I think it's our biggest weakness, but no obvious and easy answers present themselves there. Second baseman aren't generally 'stud offensive players', though I would be a happy with maybe less than a stud, and more just a high OBP guy with some speed and maybe a bit of power - but these guys don't grow on trees either.

Hamilton for DH/4th OF :P

Pretty good assessment, but I think a lot of people have Jones really over-rated. He showed nothing in the ALDS, of course nobody else did either. They looked Listless. Mclouth was the best O player in the ALDS, IMHO.

Does anyone else find it odd that Jones is "over-rated" still? He hit horridly in the last 6 games of the season yes its awful that this slump happens in the postseason but could it be that he had back soreness from carrying the team on his back offensively the other 162 games of the year? I mean the guy didnt even really have a slump throughout the regular season. Yes, he had the HR drought, but even then he hit .300+ It blows my mind that you can call him overrated after the kind of season that he had. His offensive stats have gone up relatively every year... Just a thought

As shown from the lack of home runs in the playoffs (not just by us either, better pitching), I'm not sure a team built on "HR or bust" can win a World Series without really good pitching (which we may be on our way to).

I think we need to improve OBP a good bit and should continue to focus on that going forward. I'm not sure logistically who we drop in order to find that, but I think we should focus on it. If Nick can stay healthy all year next year and Nate the Great as well, then that will be a nice internal boost.

Projections are obviously imperfect and subject to change, but at the very least next year we are looking at an average offense, above average defense, and average pitching. With young, very talented impact players in Machado, Jones, Wieters, and Davis on offense and Britton, Matusz, Arrieta, Bundy, and Gausman as stater. Plenty of improvement could be had to where we threaten 90 wins once again next year. It's good to be an O's fan!

Archived