Where We Stand, My Take on Our Offense

brianod

I seriously doubt Roberts would nix a trade, the O's are going the extra mile with him and Roberts is not that kind of guy. I think Roberts just wants a chance to see if he can still play. If he beomes convinced he can't, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired, letting the O's off the hook for the rest of his salary.

The question is: would Roberts even want to continue to play baseball if he were traded? I think he's working hard at coming back because he loves the team and the city. If the Orioles were to actually trade him, he might just give it up altogether.

You think he'd be willing and eager to just run off and play for... San Francisco, if they wanted him?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question is: would Roberts even want to continue to play baseball if he were traded? I think he's working hard at coming back because he loves the team and the city. If the Orioles were to actually trade him, he might just give it up altogether.

You think he'd be willing and eager to just run off and play for... San Francisco, if they wanted him?

In a word, yes. I think he wants to play, and if the O's felt they had better options and could trade him, he would accept the trade in order to have the best chance to play.

We don't need Zobrist and Shields. Apparently, those advocating this trade haven't had enough of losing 3-2 and 3-1 playoff games. Zobrist is just a guy. Not a stud by any means. Shields is awesome but targeting a starter given our offense against playoff pitching is a prescription for disaster. You are going to give Hardy and Davis away for this? That's 52 home runs from an offense that couldn't score in the playoffs. Good luck with that.

We don't need Zobrist and Shields. Apparently, those advocating this trade haven't had enough of losing 3-2 and 3-1 playoff games. Zobrist is just a guy. Not a stud by any means.

Yeah, just a guy with an "average" 6.5 WAR the past 4 seasons. Who needs that.

Yeah, just a guy with an "average" 6.5 WAR the past 4 seasons. Who needs that.

You are right. After checking the stats, Zobrist is better than I thought. However, my point remains that we shouldn't trade offense for pitching. Our pitching is our strength. We have starter depth galore, a great bullpen and potential aces in Britton, Bundy and Gausman. We couldn't score runs when we needed to and trading for Shields won't help the situation.

You are right. After checking the stats, Zobrist is better than I thought. However, my point remains that we shouldn't trade offense for pitching. Our pitching is our strength. We have starter depth galore, a great bullpen and potential aces in Britton, Bundy and Gausman. We couldn't score runs when we needed to and trading for Shields won't help the situation.

Well, I agree I'd rather look to trade for an impact bat than an impact pitcher. I do like Shields though.

Zobrist is an excellent player. Plus defense at many positions, and you can put him almost anywhere on the field (he can't pitch or catch that we know of). .800+ OPS, very good OBP with almost as many BBs as Ks, and a solid base stealer.

McLouth's outstanding do-it-all performance in the playoffs is basically what Zobrist does 150+ games a year.

He is literally everything this team needs.

Zobrist is an excellent player. Plus defense at many positions, and you can put him almost anywhere on the field (he can't pitch or catch that we know of). .800+ OPS, very good OBP with almost as many BBs as Ks, and a solid base stealer.

McLouth's outstanding do-it-all performance in the playoffs is basically what Zobrist does 150+ games a year.

He is literally everything this team needs.

That may all be true, but Tampa isn't looking to trade offense, they have excess pitching, much like us. We both should be looking to trade pitching for an impact bat imo

Archived