Joe Girardi: In favor of replay, for calls that go against Yankees

skanar

ESPN New York juxtaposes Girardi's comments on the blown Mauer double call in 2009 and the blown Infante at second call last night:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/46491/girardis-evoloution-on-replay

2009: "...it would break the rhythm of the game...where would you stop?"

2012: "...in this day and age, there's just too much at stake. And the technology is available."

Well if they trained the Umps properly, like they used to, these calls against the Yankees wouldn't happen in the first place.

The insolence of these umps. Don't they know their place? Don't they know these are the New York Yankees? Don't 27 World Series titles mean anything anymore? Don't they realize how many YES subscribers aren't getting the content they paid for?

See, now, that juxtaposition would work better if in 2009 he was for replay and in 2012 he was against it after benefiting from some bad calls, or perhaps if those statements had been made in the same year. But really, three years is plenty of time for someone's opinion on a subject to change. Far be it from me to defend the Yankees on an Orioles board, but this isn't really any egregious flip-flopping.

Smoltz was on Mike & Mike today, and I think he has the right idea. You're not going to go from what MLB has right now to the NFL's replay system overnight. He was advocating making any play which directly results in a run to be reviewable, which I can agree with as the next step. Have an umpire or two in a video booth during the entire game, assisting the on-field personnel. As Smoltz said, the arguments when a manager comes onto the field after a close call take longer than a review would anyway. I think it can be implemented without significantly lengthening the game.

I think it can be implemented without significantly lengthening the game.

I don't.

And I think Nate hit the pole. It really is pandora's box. Just make the umpires accountable by reviewing missed plays and putting an umpire scoring system in place.

I don't.

And I think Nate hit the pole. It really is pandora's box. Just make the umpires accountable by reviewing missed plays and putting an umpire scoring system in place.

If they already have an ump or two in the booth watching video, relaying down missed calls shouldn't take longer than when a manager comes out to argue. If the umps on the field have to go to the booth every time, then I agree it would take too long.

To be fair to Girardi, a lot of people's views on this subject are evolving, including mine. I'm much more in favor or replay than I used to be, and I'd also support electronic calling of balls and strikes at this point, based on all the terrible umpiring I'm seeing on a daily basis.

However, I should point out that I thought the umps did a good job in the Yankees-Orioles series. They actually rung up Jeter on strikes several times, and were generally fair to both sides and pretty accurate on the ball-strike calls.

To be fair to Girardi, a lot of people's views on this subject are evolving, including mine. I'm much more in favor or replay than I used to be, and I'd also support electronic calling of balls and strikes at this point, based on all the terrible umpiring I'm seeing on a daily basis.

However, I should point out that I thought the umps did a good job in the Yankees-Orioles series. They actually rung up Jeter on strikes several times, and were generally fair to both sides and pretty accurate on the ball-strike calls.

MLB claims they haven't set stuff up like this because it's not in every ball park. Frankly, I'm split on the issue of replay, but I think there could be one extra camera ump who can make decisions on egregious miscalls. Let the close calls stay to the umpires decision so it won't take 5 mins of reviewing, but things like what happened to Cano wouldn't take more than a 10 second review to know the call was wrong.

Archived