2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An easy B for me, and was really close to an A.

I really, really, really believe that if we would have kept Davis or Betemit at 1B, and cut Reynolds like 90% of fans wanted to do in May, that this team would have missed the playoffs. His defense at first base was tremendous, and saved so many errors that would have turned into runs.

He obviously had a down year at the plate, but I put him in the same category as Wieters to be honest. Let's remember that Reynolds had the 3rd best OBP on the team this year. If he would have had a better average with a couple more homeruns, I would have given him an A for this year. His down year on offense is not going to make me bring his grade all the way down to a C with the defense that he played.

Yeah but as good as his defense was in the second half, it was moreso bad in the first half. I feel like giving him an A (or even a B+) for the season would be like forgetting or discrediting his first 3 months of the season.

Well said Moose...C+ for me. Terrible 3B defense negated by brilliant 1B defense...good to know he'll start out fully at 1B next year. It will be interesting to see his regiment this offseason (if he'll put some weight from what he lost at last season's beginning)...wonder if he lost some power from the weight loss. He can be heavier at first. Hope he is back at a reasonable price (2 year, $15 million range)...

Good point. I really think we should try to get a 2 or 3 year deal for Reynolds this year. We don't really have anyone in the minors that is close to taking over the 1B job anytime soon.

Yeah but as good as his defense was in the second half, it was moreso bad in the first half. I feel like giving him an A (or even a B+) for the season would be like forgetting or discrediting his first 3 months of the season.

Reynolds only started 15 games at 3B. That is not enough to drop his grade a full grade down for 15 bad games. He so much made up for that with his 1B play.

Yep, good point too Canon...I hope we all haven't forgotten after this brilliant season that the farm system is still a bit lacking in position players...Hope I am saying this right. - I am still incredibly proud of this year's team, but it really can't erase 14 bad years (due to a large portion of a poor farm system).

I gave Reynolds a D. His OBP was up a little and I was happy about that, and his defense at 1B was very good. But, his power numbers were way down, and that is a huge part of what Reynolds brings to the table. Put it this way, if I thought Reynolds would have the exact same season in 2013 that he had in 2012, I'd look for another 1B. But I believe he'll be better next year.

I gave Reynolds a D. His OBP was up a little and I was happy about that, and his defense at 1B was very good. But, his power numbers were way down, and that is a huge part of what Reynolds brings to the table. Put it this way, if I thought Reynolds would have the exact same season in 2013 that he had in 2012, I'd look for another 1B. But I believe he'll be better next year.

Holy crap Frobby.

Same here, but I gave him a C-. The only reason he got that high is that his Superman streak carried us against the MFY. Some people who are voting A or B have lost their damn minds.

Same here, but I gave him a C-. The only reason he got that high is that his Superman streak carried us against the MFY. Some people who are voting A or B have lost their damn minds.

Do you think we would have been as good with Chris Davis or Wilson Betemit playing first base the rest of the season?

Do you think we would have been as good with Chris Davis or Wilson Betemit playing first base the rest of the season?

No, and that a big reason why he got a C- from me instead of a D or F. Take that run against Bos and NY out and see what his numbers look like. He was terrible all season at the plate.

No, and that a big reason why he got a C- from me instead of a D or F. Take that run against Bos and NY out and see what his numbers look like. He was terrible all season at the plate.

Anything worse then a C, in my opinion, means that they hurt the team more then they helped the team.

I think this team was better with Reynolds on it.

I gave him a B. OPS and Defense.

You gave him a B based partially on defense? You do remember the havoc he caused at third right? Thank goodness Machado was capable of coming up and taking the position over.

I gave him a D, his inability to hold down third should have been disastrous and honestly his bat isn't very impressive at first.

Seems like a great guy tho.

C. He just has too many holes in his swing without enough HRs to get a B. Defense at 1B helps him avoid a D. Terrible defense at 3B, but I guess I am willing to weight his defense at 1B a little more because that is where he ended up the year and will likely play next year. Plus it is not his fault that he was played at a position that he has no business playing.

C. He just has too many holes in his swing without enough HRs to get a B. Defense at 1B helps him avoid a D. Terrible defense at 3B, but I guess I am willing to weight his defense at 1B a little more because that is where he ended up the year and will likely play next year. Plus it is not his fault that he was played at a position that he has no business playing.
Manager Buck Showalter sounds confident that Reynolds will prove to be a better defender this year, although we haven't seen it happen in the first two games.

"It was a real focus for him," Showalter said. "I talked to him in the offseason and it was something he really wanted to do. We had some options to go in different directions but Mark worked hard all spring with (coach) DeMarlo (Hale) and Bobby Dickerson and (Mike) Bordick.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/04/mark-reynolds-talks-about-his-defense.html

Pretty sure Reynolds lobbied hard to stay at third base after his performance in the '11 season.

Archived