2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

Yet he was the 10th ranked 1B in range factor in MLB. And this was taken from ESPN.com

Was it range factor vs. other 1B's? Do you have the link?

Also, anyone saying his D at first wasn't that good... this is what happens when you become TOO wedded to advanced stats, especially defensive stats. Honestly just as bad as stat-hating dinosaurs. Watching Mark Reynolds play, it was clear that he was stopping balls hit to first, making saves of errant throws, etc. What weaknesses did those of you knocking his 1B defense see that would equate to him not being rated well there? Please don't just say "well the number says so."

Also, it's certainly not fair to knock him for the poor defense of replacements at third. Betemit playing poorly at third is the fault of the manager and GM, even if Reynolds wanted to play there. If you child wants to eat candy for every meal, who's fault is it when they have problems? Your kid or you?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't know how anyone gave him an A or B....I personally think it is way to high for a defensive first baseman. He K'd a ton and his power numbers were not there....If you take away one week of the season....8/31 to 9/6 he only hit 15 HR's the entire rest of the year

And we also might lose a few of those games and miss the playoffs...

I really don't know how anyone gave him an A or B....I personally think it is way to high for a defensive first baseman. He K'd a ton and his power numbers were not there....If you take away one week of the season....8/31 to 9/6 he only hit 15 HR's the entire rest of the year

His power numbers were down, but he also missed 20+ games with an oblique injury. How much did his power suffer from that? He also walks alot. I'm not letting one year of a power shortage ( And still hit 22 HR ) erase 37, 32, 44, 28. The man has power. It was a bad year, whatever the reason.

Was it range factor vs. other 1B's? Do you have the link?

Also, anyone saying his D at first wasn't that good... this is what happens when you become TOO wedded to advanced stats, especially defensive stats. Honestly just as bad as stat-hating dinosaurs. Watching Mark Reynolds play, it was clear that he was stopping balls hit to first, making saves of errant throws, etc. What weaknesses did those of you knocking his 1B defense see that would equate to him not being rated well there? Please don't just say "well the number says so."

Also, it's certainly not fair to knock him for the poor defense of replacements at third. Betemit playing poorly at third is the fault of the manager and GM, even if Reynolds wanted to play there. If you child wants to eat candy for every meal, who's fault is it when they have problems? Your kid or you?

I wasn't knocking his defense. I was actually supporting it.

Except, other first baseman do these things too. Most make them look easier than Reynolds does. I've long advocated that Reynolds has the skills to be an above average first baseman and would improve with more time and dedication at the postion. I think we saw that in the second half. That said, his is also the same board that has qualified Kevin Millar as an exceptional first baseman. I don't see Reynolds as being exceptional or elite, maybe above average.

Among other things, he does not impress me with exceptional range/reactions, throwing ability, or hands. He does impress me sometimes with his athletic ability and scooping balls. I'm not quite sure what to make of the toe stretch thing he does, but have no doubt translated into some nice plays. A nice big target at the postion always helps imo as well.

His power numbers were down, but he also missed 20+ games with an oblique injury. How much did his power suffer from that? He also walks alot. I'm not letting one year of a power shortage ( And still hit 22 HR ) erase 37, 32, 44, 28. The man has power. It was a bad year, whatever the reason.

Maybe it's just me but watching the Sherrif K time after time is a bit frustrating

And in a vacuum, that's fine. On this team, I think we need to change the mix a bit. I'm keeping Jones, Wieters and Davis over Reynolds, but I'm only getting rid of Reynolds if I can find the right replacement (e.g., Belt). It all depends on what DD does everywhere else this offseason (LF, 2B, 3B/SS, SP).

Except, other first baseman do these things too. Most make them look easier than Reynolds does. I've long advocated that Reynolds has the skills to be an above average first baseman and would improve with more time and dedication at the postion. I think we saw that in the second half. That said, his is also the same board that has qualified Kevin Millar as an exceptional first baseman. I don't see Reynolds as being exceptional or elite, maybe above average.

Among other things, he does not impress me with exceptional range/reactions, throwing ability, or hands. He does impress me sometimes with his athletic ability and scooping balls. I'm not quite sure what to make of the toe stretch thing he does, but have no doubt translated into some nice plays. A nice big target at the postion always helps imo as well.

Think this is a fair analysis. Reynolds is solid defensively at 1B. He does have a tendency to make the ordinary look a little bit more than that periodically. You could do better but do a whole lot worse at 1B. To be a viable 1B though long term, Reynolds has to have numbers offensively that are closer to 2011

Batting: I gave him a D for the entire 162 game year (not just based on games vs. NY). He was inconsistent, and had a lot trouble putting the bat on the ball when we needed to move a runner or two up.

Defense: I gave him a D for 3rd base and a B+ for 1st base.

Playoff's: I gave him a F. He had 3 hits and 1 RBI with 10 SO's in 22 AB's with a .376 OPS. While it's not his fault that the entire team was horrible, he is still a professional.

Believe it or not, I like Reynolds.. he came into 2012 with a great attitude, lost weight during the off-season and looked on paper to be better than 2011. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out as well. If Buck hadn't moved him to 1B early on, he may have been on the bench for a lot of the 2nd half. I do give him kudos for his play there, and for the 'complacent Reynolds' snapshot.

C, but I'd have given him a C- or a D+ if the option was there. Basically, he had a good month run with the bat and a crazy, often very good glove at first. But adding up the good with the bad he was essentially a replacement player earning $7M, so it's generous to give him even a passing grade. He had his lowest power marks in a full season, and he moved to a position with a higher offensive expectation.

I'm somewhat hopeful he'll rebound next year, turn in a positive year with the glove at first, and end up with an .800+ OPS. But I'm also fearful that he'll end up sub-replacement. I've defended him here a lot, but he's just not that good if he's going to be a first baseman who hits .220 with 23 homers. Of 20 MLB first basemen who played 100+ games at the position, Reynolds was 14th in OPS+.

He needs to come back at a reduced salary, and he needs to have a better 2013.

Archived