2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

Reynolds' play was all over the place this year so I believe his overall grade should come out to a C. Brutal start to the year both offensively and defensively had some people hoping for his release. The move to first base really helped his value defensively but he really only had that white-hot streak in late August/early to mid-September that saved his offensive season. The Orioles can't bring him back for $11 million, but I wouldn't be against giving him a two-year $13 million contract.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anything worse then a C, in my opinion, means that they hurt the team more then they helped the team.

I think this team was better with Reynolds on it.

Just because he was our best option last year doen't mean he deserves a spot this year if we can find someone that is better then him. I a gree with Frobby he was a liability offensively and in order to compete we need to upgrade at several positions and 1B is one of them....

Reynolds' play was all over the place this year so I believe his overall grade should come out to a C. Brutal start to the year both offensively and defensively had some people hoping for his release. The move to first base really helped his value defensively but he really only had that white-hot streak in late August/early to mid-September that saved his offensive season. The Orioles can't bring him back for $11 million, but I wouldn't be against giving him a two-year $13 million contract.

Agreed. I gave him a C for many of the same reasons. He was struggling so much offensively that I suggested a first base platoon of Betemit and Davis in late July/early August. I give reynolds credit for grinding it out after his poor start. ( particularly defensively..) Also, he did suffer an oblique injury that probably hampered his offensive production. I agree with Tony as to reynolds' price range. I'd like the orioles to retain him, but they should not overpay by any means.

That white-hot streak was fairly critical to the playoff run. That said, I go back and forth on that $11 million, but it is a lot to pay in 'hopes' his offense becomes more consistent. I do think with his overall limited service time at first, his defense could even improve more next year, with full spring training, etc.

-Don

His WAR was -.1, so..............

Jake Arrieta had a better fwar then Miguel Gonzalez. I don't care what sabermetrics says.

You gave him a B based partially on defense? You do remember the havoc he caused at third right? Thank goodness Machado was capable of coming up and taking the position over.

I gave him a D, his inability to hold down third should have been disastrous and honestly his bat isn't very impressive at first.

Seems like a great guy tho.

He played 15 games at 3rd. Not half a season.

His WAR was -.1, so..............
Just because he was our best option last year doen't mean he deserves a spot this year if we can find someone that is better then him. I a gree with Frobby he was a liability offensively and in order to compete we need to upgrade at several positions and 1B is one of them....

Who is available that makes sense that we can get that is better then him?

Jake Arrieta had a better fwar then Miguel Gonzalez. I don't care what sabermetrics says.

And his inability there caused the O's to have to start their DH at third. You don't consider Betemit getting 69 starts at third a problem? The O's also had Tolleson, Andino and Flaherty start at third at varies points in the season. Of the whole group only Machado was actually good over there.

Reynolds inability to master third this season left the position in turmoil until Machado was promoted.

There's a huge difference between fangraphs P WAR and BBR WAR. Second, his OPS was around .750, for a 1B who was so poor at his original position that a DH had to step in for him over there. Now, thankfully he seems good at 1B, so if his offense comes back to where it was last year he will be serviceable at 1B. If it doesn't, then his defense won't come close to making up for his offense.

I gave him a C. I based my grade on this.

Power- D

Defense -B ( A at 1B, E at 3B )

Clubhouse and team effect- A

Calling out the Umps - A+++++++++++++ ;)

That said, I really think a combination of things hurt his offense (especially his power numbers). I'm not sure he fully recovered from his early season oblique injury, as his bat looked sluggish for much of the year. I also think his poor defense at 3B, carried over to the plate. I'm also not so sure he was healthy (arm) the last few weeks of 2012. I think his play at 1B, deserves more time, since I think the power shortage was due to just a bad year and possibly injuries.

I'd have no problems with the Orioles giving Mark a 2/16 contract with a third year option.

Who is available that makes sense that we can get that is better then him?

He's probably our best option on the FA market but if I were the O's I would look to upgrade though a trade and I think a 2 year deal could be a mistake......I may still be dwelling on the terrible AB's (10K's) he had this postseason but when did teams start commiting multiple years to defensive 1B men?

He's probably our best option on the FA market but if I were the O's I would look to upgrade though a trade and I think a 2 year deal could be a mistake......I may still be dwelling on the terrible AB's (10K's) he had this postseason but when did teams start commiting multiple years to defensive 1B men?

Wieters, Jones, and basically the whole team had horrible post seasons. And Reynolds is more than a defensive 1B. One down year doesn't wipe out the multiple 30 and 40 HR seasons.

And his inability there caused the O's to have to start their DH at third. You don't consider Betemit getting 69 starts at third a problem? The O's also had Tolleson, Andino and Flaherty start at third at varies points in the season. Of the whole group only Machado was actually good over there.

Reynolds inability to master third this season left the position in turmoil until Machado was promoted.

And your blaming that on Reynolds? Seriously? Because he couldn't play third but playe the position that they moved him to masterfully?

If Buck for some reason moved Hardy off of short next year, and Manny made 20 errors, would you be mad at Hardy for Manny's errors?

I know that's a different situation, completely different, but to be mad at Mark for someone elses mistakes while he was excelling at a different position is an odd reason to give someone a bad grade.

Who you trading for?

That white-hot streak was fairly critical to the playoff run. That said, I go back and forth on that $11 million, but it is a lot to pay in 'hopes' his offense becomes more consistent. I do think with his overall limited service time at first, his defense could even improve more next year, with full spring training, etc.

-Don

It sure was, but Reynolds going back into his funk was a part of the reason for the Orioles playoff hitting demise as well and that in a nutshell is Mark Reynolds.

Who you trading for?

Ike Davis (could get at moderate trade price?)

Eric Hosmer (at right price, idk if KC is ready to give up on him yet)

Kendrys Morales (could get at cheap in a trade?)

Brandon Belt (same goes for him as Hosmer)

Mike Napoli (FA, will be expensive)

Archived