Rosenthal reports that Bedard trade talks have slowed

ChaosLex

I'm torn. I don't know if I'd rather have Tillman or Triunfel as the 4th player. Both of them have tremendous upside.

My preference would be Triunfel just based on his potential, but I wouldn't be upset with either. I thought that I read from one of our insiders that AM had no interest in Triunfel at all. Am I wrong?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW Roch K this morning says the Mariners may be re-thinking the idea of giving up Jones:

The Mariners won’t be in the running for Erik Bedard if they don’t part with Adam Jones. And they’re not enamored with the idea.

It’s fair to say they’re having second and third thoughts about giving up a player projected to be a star. But I think it’s still more likely to happen than Cincinnati giving up Jay Bruce.

FWIW Roch K this morning says the Mariners may be re-thinking the idea of giving up Jones:

The Mariners won’t be in the running for Erik Bedard if they don’t part with Adam Jones. And they’re not enamored with the idea.

It’s fair to say they’re having second and third thoughts about giving up a player projected to be a star. But I think it’s still more likely to happen than Cincinnati giving up Jay Bruce.

This is one of two things.

1. The Mariners are playing hardball right back.

2. We're screwed.

I'd like to think that #1 and #2 go hand-in-hand. ;)

My preference would be Triunfel just based on his potential, but I wouldn't be upset with either. I thought that I read from one of our insiders that AM had no interest in Triunfel at all. Am I wrong?

Triunfel would be my choice as well he could be the best sense sliced bread but, Tillman would be cool.

I never heard anything negative Triunfel though

The O's have to make a deal for Bedard. If not this team will make very little improvement over the winter months thus defeating the contention that things will be changing. Other clubs must know this is a ploy by the O's to appear ready to keep Bedard.....but they know we have to trade him if we hope to make the team better. If nothing else gets done the fans will howl as the ticket prices rise in an empty stadium.

I don't recall anything from the insiders, but it wouldn't surprise me. MacPhail isn't playing for 2008, and he isn't playing for 2012. He is obviously looking to collect as much talent as possible that will come to a peak somewhere in between.

He probably figures that there will be other chances to pick up a quality SS for 2012 and beyond, and he's right.

Sounds like both the M's and O's are in a Mexican standoff. The both are advertising that they are OK just walking away, but the truth is I do not think either side really is OK with walking on the deal. I would think the Reds have been basically put on hold to see where the M's finally get to. But honestly if Votto, Cueto, Hamilton and a lower prospect are on the table from the Reds for Bedard I take that deal instantly. I even would be willing to add someone like Burress, Walker, Bradford to the deal.

Sounds like both the M's and O's are in a Mexican standoff. The both are advertising that they are OK just walking away, but the truth is I do not think either side really is OK with walking on the deal. I would think the Reds have been basically put on hold to see where the M's finally get to. But honestly if Votto, Cueto, Hamilton and a lower prospect are on the table from the Reds for Bedard I take that deal instantly. I even would be willing to add someone like Burress, Walker, Bradford to the deal.

The Reds fans that have posted on here do not believe Hamilton and Votto would both be dealt. It is one of the pitchers Cueto/Bailey and one of the hitters Hamilton/Votto and possibly a lesser 3rd prospect (Stubbs for ex).

That is still a good deal: Bailey, Votto, and Stubbs.

So is Jones, Morrow/Clement, Sherrill.

I am starting to like what Texas could put on the table if they are willing- Kinsler, Volquez, C Davis.

This story is true folks. The Bedard talks have slowed. And it is all based around who the 4th player is. But Jones and Clement and Morrow are on the table.

If those three are on the table together, and they're just arguing over the 4th piece, then MacPhail is a fool.

This story is true folks. The Bedard talks have slowed. And it is all based around who the 4th player is. But Jones and Clement and Morrow are on the table.

If those 3 are on table (3 for 1)- I would do it now.

Jones is MLB ready. Morrow and Clement are the top two prospects left on their farm which is a pretty decent system.

How could this not be enough?

I think a throw in from both sides would put it away.

Thanks for the info Peace!

All 3? Why are we playing hard over the 4th player then, thats a tremendous offer.

If MacPhail is confident this offer will stay on the table, holding out for a bit more isn't bad, but I think the risk of this offer going away is not worth the reward of getting Sherill or most likely someone less than him in return for Bedard.

Archived