Rosenthal reports that Bedard trade talks have slowed

ChaosLex

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we shouldn't give him away for nothing. I really hope we can trade him if we get rid of Brob too. That would be the only way we could get the correct amount of young talent to successfully rebuild and move forward.

If we still have Bedard going into the season, I don't think the offseason could be a success. I hope we can get the right package soon.

Well, we waited until LAD signed a pitcher. Seattle signed a starter. We don't want to deal him in our division. The D-backs traded for a starter. I don't see why anyone would be surprised that we aren't getting tremendous offers. The demand has gone down, and we've eliminated 2 teams with potentially nice offers.

I think its a smart move if he's not seeing what he wants offered. The M's and Reds need to believe that we dont HAVE to trade him, we WANT to trade him.

We are going to suck with Bedard, but he will have crazy value at the trade deadline. These teams are trying to win, and they need to feel some pressure.

I think its a smart move if he's not seeing what he wants offered. The M's and Reds need to believe that we dont HAVE to trade him, we WANT to trade him.

We are going to suck with Bedard, but he will have crazy value at the trade deadline. These teams are trying to win, and they need to feel some pressure.

I know these points have been repeated ad naseaum, but there is almost no chance we get more for Bedard at the deadline than we would now.

The only way he gains value between now and then is if he is pitching at a Cy Young level, which is certainly possible, I'd say that has a 33% chance of happening. But there is a 33% chance he pitches just very well, in which case his overall value is down since we're trading 1 1/2 years instead of 2. And there is about a 33% chance he pitches averagely or gets injured. And even if he is pitching well or dominantly, we won't be able to get back as much because teams won't be able to offer pieces off of their major league roster (like Jones, Kemp, LaRoche, Clement, Votto, or Cueto) in return for him.

Good news.

The skeptic in me is doubtful that Bedard will actually be traded, but if Rosenthal is reporting that talks have slowed, then I have little doubt a deal will be completed soon.

How so?

I don't know much about Rosenthal other than the fact he used to write for the Baltimore Sun. Is he often wrong?

I know these points have been repeated ad naseaum, but there is almost no chance we get more for Bedard at the deadline than we would now.

The only way he gains value between now and then is if he is pitching at a Cy Young level, which is certainly possible, I'd say that has a 33% chance of happening. But there is a 33% chance he pitches just very well, in which case his overall value is down since we're trading 1 1/2 years instead of 2. And there is about a 33% chance he pitches averagely or gets injured. And even if he is pitching well or dominantly, we won't be able to get back as much because teams won't be able to offer pieces off of their major league roster (like Jones, Kemp, LaRoche, Clement, Votto, or Cueto) in return for him.

The team that could really step up at the deadline, IMO, is the Angels.

I think they are going to be in the hunt, and looking for a way to improve. One of these days they are going to pull the trigger on a deal.

Bedard will be, by far the most valuable player available at the deadline. He'll be a guy who every team in baseball can afford for the remainder of his contract.

I dont think its neccessarilly a bad thing for teams to have a better idea of exactly how close they are to contending. Being a pitcher away from a possible WS win will make a GM crazy.

How so?

I don't know much about Rosenthal other than the fact he used to write for the Baltimore Sun. Is he often wrong?

Eh, it wasn't a knock on Rosenthal, who I guess is as reliable as the next guy. I just tend to not believe much of what I read in the sports media regarding "sources".

The report may very well be true, or it may not be, or it may be that MacPhail is leaking this stuff to let other teams know that we're not going to settle for less-than-prime offers. Who knows.

Hey I know I am new to this........ and I may be a little dumb here, but why trade our no.1 starter at all. I know there has been statements made that Bedard dosen't want to be here after 2009. But do we REALLY know that for sure. Has anyone in the "hang out" talked to him. I say we wait and see what happens from the FO and see what Spring Trianing brings us. I have faith as an O's fan that things will get better.

Once again Rosenthal is trying to plant the idea that MacPhail doesn't have full autonomy:

It remains to be seen whether Orioles owner Peter Angelos would endorse trading Bedard and second baseman Brian Roberts when both are two years away from free agency.

I wish he'd stop that... :rolleyes:

How so?

I'm pretty sure Rosenthal reported that trade talks between the O's and Astros for Tejada had broken off and were nowhere near a deal about 3 hours before a deal was made.

Its not that Rosenthal is "wrong", but that AM and others leak misleading info to Rosenthal or his "sources" in order to make things appear different than they might really be.

Once again Rosenthal is trying to plant the idea that MacPhail doesn't have full autonomy:

It remains to be seen whether Orioles owner Peter Angelos would endorse trading Bedard and second baseman Brian Roberts when both are two years away from free agency.

I wish he'd stop that... :rolleyes:

He will once it's proven that he has complete autonomy. I can't see why people are surprised that PA isn't given the benefit of the doubt. Maybe AM does have total control, but PA doesn't have the best history in the eyes of many. If AM ends up being allowed to rebuild the team fully, and PA doesn't interfere with potential trades, then he'll start to get some credit. Until then, all these guys will uses PA's past as their basis for judgement.

I understand AM needs the right package to make a move, and it would be a bad idea to move Bedard for a bad batch of prospects...but if Bedard isn't gone by Opening Day, then there is no reason to move Roberts, and there was no reason to move Miggy....why? Because then you are not rebuilding, all you did was trade one guy (mind you we now have no shortstop)...I think AM has waited too long with Bedard, a market that was at one time what 11 teams have now dwindled to two...I also think waiting till the deadline is a foolish idea...we have no idea if Bedard's year was a flash in the pan or if it was the real deal. What if he gets hurt? What if he gets plunked with a ball or something...you are taking a HUGE risk by waiting. We learned that Miggy's value dropped a lot in less than 18 months...are we going to go down the same road again? All that said, I am giving AM till Opening Day, but I am getting mighty worried once we get into January that teams are going to start saying "we are going with what we got."

Another thought...imagine the only other thing we do is pick up a closer...do you really want to see the team the way it is take the field opening day? We thought last year was bad? I think the phrase we need to start learning is "You ain't seen nothing yet."

Trying to be positive guys...really I am!!!

Archived