Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. I look forward to seeing how he responds to the challenge. My view is that this is still sort of a "recovery" year and next season is when we'll really have to see how effective he is. His numbers at Delmarva were not overwhelming, but respectable, and next year will determine whether he can get back on the prospect map.

Cool. I look forward to seeing how he responds to the challenge. My view is that this is still sort of a "recovery" year and next season is when we'll really have to see how effective he is. His numbers at Delmarva were not overwhelming, but respectable, and next year will determine whether he can get back on the prospect map.

Right on about the still recovering. He will get stronger this year, but won't be at his full potential until next spring, IMHO. He had hoped to move up in June, but mid-July is not bad. Also, a change in scenery will help.

Right on about the still recovering. He will get stronger this year, but won't be at his full potential until next spring, IMHO. He had hoped to move up in June, but mid-July is not bad. Also, a change in scenery will help.

Is his shoulder sound?

By all indications, no problems... just needs to strengthen to the optimum.

Doc, what about his current performance could be improved by early next year as he moves further away from surgery?

If he is throwing 95, maybe there could be an expectation of even better velo, but that doesn't seem like it would help him too much.

Would it be with the effectiveness of off-speed pitches? Control?

Hopefully, it's the control as there are a lot of BBs right now.

Appreciate your insight, Doc.

Saw his Keys debut in person. God, what an awful game.

Hobgood hit 92 once on the Keys gun. Pitched at 89-90. I was pretty disappointed with his stuff. The numbers looked good, but the Keys were getting completely manhandled and the Red Sox seemed bored and wanted to hit the local Hardees by the time Matt was in.

The 'old' Tommy Hunter looks like a good comp.

Saw his Keys debut in person. God, what an awful game.

Hobgood hit 92 once on the Keys gun. Pitched at 89-90. I was pretty disappointed with his stuff. The numbers looked good, but the Keys were getting completely manhandled and the Red Sox seemed bored and wanted to hit the local Hardees by the time Matt was in.

The 'old' Tommy Hunter looks like a good comp.

I have to believe that Keys gun is very slow. I saw Wager pitch there and he was sitting 85-87, then someone here gave a great scouting report that had him sitting 89-92.

Too bad you were not impressed - would love to see a bounceback from a kid that has had a tough go of it.

The Fredrick gun is all over the place. I've sat in the scout seats for a few games there and tried to figure out if there was any kind of a pattern in matching up its readings with the ones on an actual gun but it was impossible. For the most part it was below actual readings, but then would occasionally flash a number well above.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived