Schmuck brought up Hosmer and Smoak as potential 1B targets

ChaosLex

It sounded like it was more his opinion than the front office's though, hence why I'm not linking to the article here.

That said, if it's true that Britton's name is being thrown around a lot by other teams, is he the kind player that you'd include in a deal for either Smoak or Hosmer? Just curious.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't buy Smoak's hot streak to end the season, he has done it before.

I would rather have Davis or Reynolds at first.

I'd rather take a shot at Smoak developing than re-signing Reynolds. I suppose that puts Davis back at DH or LF/DH with Reimold/Betemit etc.

I'd rather take a shot at Smoak developing than re-signing Reynolds. I suppose that puts Davis back at DH or LF/DH with Reimold/Betemit etc.

I don't get this. Smoak has not shown he can hit (and get on base) in the majors like Reynolds has, and Reynolds is the better defender at first. Is this just a "grass is greener" thing? I'd much rather just tender Reynolds and either keep Britton or trade him for a better piece.

He has had over 1400 PA and has a 683 OPS at first base. I don't think you can develop from that to "nugget".

Ehh, that's what most of us said about Davis (including me) and Smoak has a reputation as having much better plate discipline. Not to mention that's a pretty harsh hitting environment in SEA. If our scouts see some potential in Smoak, I'd definitely consider this move over paying Reynolds 8-9 mil.

I don't get this. Smoak has not shown he can hit (and get on base) in the majors like Reynolds has, and Reynolds is the better defender at first. Is this just a "grass is greener" thing? I'd much rather just tender Reynolds and either keep Britton or trade him for a better piece.

Well, I'd rather deal somoen like Arrieta than Britton, but yeah I'd rather have a better upside guy like Smoak than resigning Reynolds (who is likely to be only medicore anyways for 8 mil). I think some of you guys are discounting how brutal of an environment SEA is to hit in and how much it can affect a hitter. I woudn't be at all surprising to see Smaok put up similar numbers to what Reynolds gave last year with better future progression.

Well, I'd rather deal somoen like Arrieta than Britton, but yeah I'd rather have a better upside guy like Smoak than resigning Reynolds (who is likely to be only medicore anyways for 8 mil). I think some of you guys are discounting how brutal of an environment SEA is to hit in and how much it can affect a hitter. I woudn't be at all surprising to see Smaok put up similar numbers to what Reynolds gave last year with better future progression.

715 OPS on the road for his career. (That is with a 35 point advantage in BABIP on the road)

If the O's were coming off a 93 loss season and not a 93 win season I could see taking a flyer on him. If this team is a contender then he is too big a risk.

Archived