Matt Wieters wants to stay in Baltimore!!!

oldbird

That probably isn't much (if any) more than he'd get going year to year. WHy would Wieters sign that deal??

Stotle ....do you really think Wieters is a $16.5 million per year player? I think you could better spend that kind of money. When Wieters can't catch anymore the Orioles would regret having the contract for a DH/1B will a marginal bat and no speed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters can think for himself.

Jered Weaver did

Tony, you know better then this.

Ultimately Boras works for the player not the other way around. If a Boras client wants to sign an extension (Varitek) he will and if he wants to give a hometown discount (Weaver) he will.

Wieters signed with Boras out of college, which was a great idea to maximize his initial earnings. His situation now is a lot different. Sure Boras will suggest he go in another direction but Wieters has the final say.

Sorry, but you guys are being a bit naive about the way contracts work and the players behind them. Do you think Wieters doesn't know what Weaver cost himself? Here's hardball's take:

"It seems hard to argue that Weaver isn?t as good as Greinke and there?s certainly an argument to be made that he?s better. And yet Greinke will be getting $147 million over the next six seasons while Weaver will be paid $70 million over the next four seasons. If healthy Weaver will close some of that gap with his next contract that covers Season 6 and Season 7, but it sure looks like he cost himself at least $40-$50 million by not testing free agency."

Sure, is it within the realm of possibility that Wieters could love Baltimore so much that he's willing to go against his super agents advice like Weaver, sure. It's also within the realm of possibility that Brian Roberts comes back and is the player he once was. Neither though are very likely.

Players pick Boros ultimately for one reason, he makes them richer then they would be with other agents. Sure, he has nice facilities to work out in and his staff treats players great, but at the end of the day, it's all about money with him. He could care less that Matt Wieters likes Baltimore. He will recommend free agency and only if Wieters is willing to give up on that possible huge free agency payout will he sign an extension with the Orioles over Boros' certain objection.

I believe Wieters is being sincere when he says he wants to stay in Baltimore, but as long as remains a Boros guy, I remain skeptical that he will accept any kind of extension unless the Orioles pay him an unprecedented amount of money for a player in his situation.

Sorry, but you guys are very naive about the way contracts work and the players behind them. Do you think Wieters doesn't know what Weaver cost himself? Here's hardball's take:

"It seems hard to argue that Weaver isn?t as good as Greinke and there?s certainly an argument to be made that he?s better. And yet Greinke will be getting $147 million over the next six seasons while Weaver will be paid $70 million over the next four seasons. If healthy Weaver will close some of that gap with his next contract that covers Season 6 and Season 7, but it sure looks like he cost himself at least $40-$50 million by not testing free agency."

Sure, is it within the realm of possibility that Wieters could love Baltimore so much that he's willing to go against his super agents advice like Weaver, sure. It's also within the realm of possibility that Brian Roberts comes back and is the player he once was. Neither though are very likely.

Players pick Boros ultimately for one reason, he makes them richer then they would be with other agents. Sure, he has nice facilities to work out in and his staff treats players great, but at the end of the day, it's all about money with him. He could care less that Matt Wieters likes Baltimore. He will recommend free agency and only if Wieters is willing to give up on that possible huge free agency payout will he sign an extension with the Orioles over Boros' certain objection.

I believe Wieters is being sincere when he says he wants to stay in Baltimore, but as long as remains a Boros guy, I remain skeptical that he will accept any kind of extension unless the Orioles pay him an unprecedented amount of money for a player in his situation.

You may very well be right and Wieters main goal is to maximize his earnings. Very possible.

However not all Boras clients feel that way. There is at least a possibility that Wieters swims against the current, like Varitek and Weaver did, and extends.

I certainly think the odds of an extension are much higher then when he made his debut.

That would be around what I'd expect him to get on the free market this year. Since we're buying out some arbitration years, I'd say 5/65 is reasonable. $25 mil over the 3 arbitration years and $40 mil over the 2 FA years. That's a deal that involves both sides taking on some risk.

While I agree that it's a fair deal, I can't see a reason why Wieters/Boras would take this deal. This would take him through 2017, where he would then be entering his age 32 season. Save a serious uptick in numbers, which is possible, his bat doesn't translate that well to 1B. He's going to need to get a 5 or 6 year deal when he hits FA just before turning 30.

Those two years that we get him for $40/million might cost him $50 million. Granted, you stated that both sides would be taking risk. I just think that the risk is far higher for him. As long as he doesn't fall completely flat on his face, as you know, he's making the $25 million easily in the arbitration. So, say he does break down somewhat over the next few years, I have to think that a team is going to offer him at worst 5/$60 (so he would be playing an additional 3 years for 20 million). If he even does 90% of what he did last year, solid numbers for a catcher with great defense, he's getting a 5/$100 million contract from someone (who knows what salaries will be in three years, but they aren't going to be reduced).

My point is that those two years that we'd be giving him $20/million a year are too important to him given where he would be in his prime.

Someone else mentioned an opt-out, which Boras likes for his clients. I think that you have to at least give him a 6th year player's option and perhaps a guaranteed 6 years with a player's option to make it worth his while. We can't just use Weaver as a reference, he might like southern CA more than Matt likes Baltimore.

Wieters can think for himself.

Jered Weaver did

You may very well be right and Wieters main goal is to maximize his earnings. Very possible.

However not all Boras clients feel that way. There is at least a possibility that Wieters swims against the current, like Varitek and Weaver did, and extends.

I certainly think the odds of an extension are much higher then when he made his debut.

As a fan of the team, I hope you are right. But Wieters went down to the last minute on his negotiations originally, has not given in for a compromise during his first arbitration hearing and besides his comments about wanting to the stay with the team, has never given any indication he's not all business when it comes down to the business of making as much money as he can. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just saying I don't see any indicators that suggests he's going to sign a long term extension at anything that would be considered team friendly.

As a fan of the team, I hope you are right. But Wieters went down to the last minute on his negotiations originally, has not given in for a compromise during his first arbitration hearing and besides his comments about wanting to the stay with the team, has never given any indication he's not all business when it comes down to the business of making as much money as he can. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just saying I don't see any indicators that suggests he's going to sign a long term extension at anything that would be considered team friendly.

I am not expecting any sort of a discount and a scenario where Wieters would accept a market value contract and the O's balk at giving it to him is a possibility.

Stotle ....do you really think Wieters is a $16.5 million per year player? I think you could better spend that kind of money. When Wieters can't catch anymore the Orioles would regret having the contract for a DH/1B will a marginal bat and no speed.

Then don't extend him.

Well, it isn't much (if any) less than he would get going year to year, either, is it? He has stated that he would like to stay with the Orioles and this would give him long-term security. I think there is a lot to be said for long-term security, especially for a catcher. I don't think extensions are only signed when the player thinks he is being offered a lot more than he figures to get by going year to year. Look at Longoria.

Long term security is an 8-10 year deal, not two market or sub-market years of FA being bought out.

Then don't extend him.

Exactly, while I don't agree with throwing money around aimlessly, you're not always going to get maximum return on your investment. It's the nature of the business. We can be the Rays, or we can take some risks with contracts. More times than not, money is wasted on FA contracts/extensions. At the end of the day, running a MLB franchise is still a profitable business.

Exactly, while I don't agree with throwing money around aimlessly, you're not always going to get maximum return on your investment. It's the nature of the business. We can be the Rays, or we can take some risks with contracts. More times than not, money is wasted on FA contracts/extensions. At the end of the day, running a MLB franchise is still a profitable business.

If they are not going to extend him then they need to start looking for a replacement. If it isn't homegrown then expect similar costs or a substantial downgrade in talent.

What would you offer if you're BAL?

It's like crazy pills -- I think I just went through this like three days ago in another thread. :)

I don't know, I guess I'd have to decide if I wanted to extend him first. But something that makes sense could be worked out. Probably something like:

13 - $4.5 MM

14 - $8.5 MM

15 - $12.5 MM

16 - $16 MM

17 - $16 MM

18 - $18 MM (team option w/$8 MM buyout)

Not sure what combination of bonus $, option management, no trade, etc. would come into play. That's 5/65 guaranteed and I'd allow it to climb to 6/80 or so without much issue. Good chance he is worth that deal, with an opportunity to surpass that value.

I'd also be scrambling to trade for a young catcher were I the O's. There is nothing enticing at the college level in this draft class, so if you want a replacement for some time between 2014-2016, you have to jump on it immediately, I'd think.

I don't think this is the huge news that the OP is making it out to be. With three years to go on his contract, of course Wieters is going to say he wants to stay in Baltimore, and I'm sure he sincerely means it. But he's still going to want to get paid what he believes he's worth, so if the O's want to keep him, he's not going to give them a hometown discount. With Boras as his agent, you can be sure of that.

Archived