Who's your 4th bench guy?

El Gordo

Teagarden

Casilla

Reimold/Betemit

Valencia

Casilla may start some games but over the season I see him as a backup and late inning defensive replacement. He probably does not hit enough to hold a starting spot. Roberts or if Roberts is hurt or not productive, Flaherty are the starters at 2B.

A lot depends on Reimold's health. If healthy he probably starts in left vs lefthanded pitching and at DH vs righthanded pitching. His combination of power and speed will beat out Betemit for playing time. However, Betemit will see a lot of time at DH because of Reimold's health.

Valencia is the righthanded hitter off the bench who DHs vs lefty.

That is my guess.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to note, as terrible as Ryan Flaherty looked at the beginning of the year, his HRs/PA corresponds to 21 HRs over the course of a full season. I fully expect him to be a 20 HR hitter one day.

He'll start the year in Norfolk most likely, but I think he's capable of putting up a .225/.305/.425 season even this year. That may not sound good, but consider that it's above the .701 OPS that second basemen in the majors logged last year, and miles above the .596 OPS that our second baseman combined for last year.

I'm looking forward to hearing good things about him while he's in Norfolk.

McLouth after they sign Bourn. ;)

Relax, just checking to see who's awake.

Of course I was joking with this, but maybe not too far off? Seems more than a few people think Reimold displaces McLouth as everyday LFer and that would put McLouth on the bench as fourth OFer.

Still need one more. Just caught that.

Something to note, as terrible as Ryan Flaherty looked at the beginning of the year, his HRs/PA corresponds to 21 HRs over the course of a full season. I fully expect him to be a 20 HR hitter one day.

He'll start the year in Norfolk most likely, but I think he's capable of putting up a .225/.305/.425 season even this year. That may not sound good, but consider that it's above the .701 OPS that second basemen in the majors logged last year, and miles above the .596 OPS that our second baseman combined for last year.

I'm looking forward to hearing good things about him while he's in Norfolk.

I hope you're right, but between AAA and the majors he has almost 400 PAs of a .270 OBP. And he turns 27 in July. He's going to have to improve at a late stage in his career to stick.

I don't see any trades coming. After Exposito who do you bump from the 40 man next? I find that a tough choice, which I suppose is a good sign.

To me, Luis Martinez could easily be discarded off the 40-man roster. He's basically an Exposito clone. I don't think either one of them would be claimed, and if they are, you can shake a tree and find a couple more of them to stash in Norfolk.

Also don't forget that T.J. McFarland (the Rule 5 pick) is unlikely to make the team, so he'll be sent back from whence he came and clear another 40-man spot.

I hope you're right, but between AAA and the majors he has almost 400 PAs of a .270 OBP. And he turns 27 in July. He's going to have to improve at a late stage in his career to stick.

For sure. His performance in the second half was extremely encouraging to me though.

July 1st - End of Regular season in Baltimore: .250/.301/.529

Rehab stint in Norfolk: .289/.341/.526

Playoffs: .273/.273/.545

All small samples sizes, but I'm encouraged by it, and his improvement at the plate was definitely noticeable without even looking at the improved statistics. And like Buck says, if you can play defense, then you'll be able to get enough ABs to improve and learn in the majors. He was very good defensively at 2B, and capable at every other position he was thrust into.

To me, Luis Martinez could easily be discarded off the 40-man roster. He's basically an Exposito clone. I don't think either one of them would be claimed, and if they are, you can shake a tree and find a couple more of them to stash in Norfolk.

Also don't forget that T.J. McFarland (the Rule 5 pick) is unlikely to make the team, so he'll be sent back from whence he came and clear another 40-man spot.

I think McFarland has a decent chance to stay. He looks like the same level of development level as Flaherty was last year. Patton and McFarland could be the lefties in the pen with Matusz fighting for a rotation spot or going to the minor until an injury hits. It all depends on what McFarland shows in ST.

The Rule 5 draft is one of the ways DD upgrades the talent in the O's organization.

For sure. His performance in the second half was extremely encouraging to me though.

July 1st - End of Regular season in Baltimore: .250/.301/.529

Rehab stint in Norfolk: .289/.341/.526

Playoffs: .273/.273/.545

All small samples sizes, but I'm encouraged by it, and his improvement at the plate was definitely noticeable without even looking at the improved statistics. And like Buck says, if you can play defense, then you'll be able to get enough ABs to improve and learn in the majors. He was very good defensively at 2B, and capable at every other position he was thrust into.

And when he went to AAA he did well. I think he shows he is ready for the majors in ST and the only thing that gets him sent to AAA is that Roberts and Casilla get first shot and have no options.

I think McFarland has a decent chance to stay. He looks like the same level of development level as Flaherty was last year. Patton and McFarland could be the lefties in the pen with Matusz fighting for a rotation spot or going to the minor until an injury hits. It all depends on what McFarland shows in ST.

The Rule 5 draft is one of the ways DD upgrades the talent in the O's organization.

I think if Matusz can take the #5 spot then McFarland would be the other lefty in the pen.

Unless Matusz is traded or has a terrible ST and McFarland is lights out I don't see them sending Matusz down. He was too good out of the pen to move to make room for a rule 5.

I think if Matusz can take the #5 spot then McFarland would be the other lefty in the pen.

Unless Matusz is traded or has a terrible ST and McFarland is lights out I don't see them sending Matusz down. He was too good out of the pen to move to make room for a rule 5.

Lefty Patton will be in the pen.

Britton, Matusz, Steve Johnson, Jurrjens could all have good springs and still be optioned to AAA. Thats the idea. Don't have a drop off when help in needed in the rotation. And make other teams value what the O's have at AAA so they offer a good bat. I think Buck will be giving his "just because you are going to AAA doesn't mean you are not part of our team this year" speak at the end of ST.

Lefty Patton will be in the pen.

Britton, Matusz, Steve Johnson, Jurrjens could all have good springs and still be optioned to AAA. Thats the idea. Don't have a drop off when help in needed in the rotation. And make other teams value what the O's have at AAA so they offer a good bat. I think Buck will be giving his "just because you are going to AAA doesn't mean you are not part of our team this year" speak at the end of ST.

Buck wants more than one lefty in the pen. He won't send Matusz down just to carry McFarland unless Matusz is really struggling.

If McFarland shows well in ST, DD and Buck will not want to send him back.
Maybe not but they also want to win and I doubt that a rule 5 guy is going to convince them to send down Matusz. McFarland is one of many options. They sign Saunders, or Martusz could get the #5 slot, or Britton, even outside chance Wadda does. Someone gets injured. None of these guys pitch well. In some circumtances, if McFarland pitches well, he stays, in others he goes no matter how well he pitches.

If McFarland shows well in ST, DD and Buck will not want to send him back.

I hope that he's a typical Rule 5er, shows middling stuff in the spring and is sent back. I thought it was quite damaging to try to play with a 24-man roster for most of last year. If a Rule 5er isn't ready to step in and perform a regular role on the roster I don't want him on a team with visions of contention.

I hope that he's a typical Rule 5er, shows middling stuff in the spring and is sent back. I thought it was quite damaging to try to play with a 24-man roster for most of last year. If a Rule 5er isn't ready to step in and perform a regular role on the roster I don't want him on a team with visions of contention.

It will be interesting to see what McFarland's role would be. He may be taking Kevin Gregg's spot on the roster.

Archived