Who's your 4th bench guy?

El Gordo

Assuming Roberts has a healthy ST, and Betemit is DH against RHP, then you have a bench of: Casilla UTIF, Teagarden BuC, Reimold RH DH/LF, and ??? Whose this guy and why? Pearce, Flaherty, Valencia, Ishikawa, Jackson, Robinson, other? Who has options and who doesn't? My pick would be Robinson for his speed and defense.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming Roberts has a healthy ST, and Betemit is DH against RHP, then you have a bench of: Casilla UTIF, Teagarden BuC, Reimold RH DH/LF, and ??? Whose this guy and why? Pearce, Flaherty, Valencia, Ishikawa, Jackson, Robinson, other? Who has options and who doesn't? My pick would be Robinson for his speed and defense.

I suspect Flaherty, due to his power potential, might be the UTIF not Casilla but the competition is sure to fierce in ST. I don't enough about these guys to make a prediction.

I suspect Flaherty, due to his power potential, might be the UTIF not Casilla but the competition is sure to fierce in ST. I don't enough about these guys to make a prediction.

My assumption is that Casilla is the Oriole starting second baseman.

Pearce is off the 40 man roster. As is Jackson and Ishikawa. So by default, I would assume Valencia, who has options. Or Robinson who does not.

I don't think Roberts can play the field to Buck's standard. He stated that would be a benchmark.

This is being obtuse though, the opening post pretty clearly assumes that Roberts is the starting second baseman, and asks for opinions based on that premise. I wouldn't be surprised if that was not the case, but it is irrelevant, per the question being asked.

This is being obtuse though, the opening post pretty clearly assumes that Roberts is the starting second baseman, and asks for opinions based on that premise. I wouldn't be surprised if that was not the case, but it is irrelevant, per the question being asked.

Oh. Yeah, I just don't see that even if he has a good spring. But sure. I cheated.

Great question. You could make a case for any of the six you mentioned. Assuming your premise of Roberts being healthy, I think they'll pick Valencia (positional flexibilty). However, I'd like to see Pearce or Ishikawa for a little extra pop. Also, options do matter so we need to take those into account.

Here are the six candidates with option status:

Valencia - 1 option left

Flaherty - 3 options left

Ishikawa - 1 option left (not currently on 40-man roster)

Pearce - 0 options left (not currently on 40-man roster)

Robinson - 0 options left

Jackson - need approval to send to minors (not currently on 40-man roster)

I do agree though, I did not answer the question. I just get the feeling that Buck won't sacrifice a week this year to see what BRob has. No matter the pricetag.

I won't say that I'm happy about it, but out of those names listed, I would say Valencia gets the fourth spot. I know Roch has mentioned several times that the O's would likely go with a platoon of Betemit and Valencia as the team's starting DH if a middle of the order bat wasn't obtained before the beginning of the year.

I don't see Flaherty and Casilla both making the roster if Roberts is healthy. Casilla would likely be the backup middle infielder while Flaherty goes to Norfolk.

Of course, a lot can happen during Spring Training...

Archived