Mariners still alive in Bedard hunt

JTrea81

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Weaver a #3/4 right now? Career numbers:

06 - 123 IP, 2.56 ERA

07 - 161 IP, 3.91 ERA

Did have an injury last year, but nothing too concerning.

This is basically a young pitcher that is already a #2 starter and his peripherals match his performance.

Put him in Safeco or Pac Bell Park and he is a #1 starter.[/QUOTE]

I worry what would happen if he was in the ALEast. Hopefully, not what happened to his brother. I agree that he is a #2.

Do you folks really believe the Angels will part with Weaver AND others in order to nab Bedard? Weaver, at this stage of his career, has performed better than Bedard at a similar stage. He has been near dominating as a rookie.

I think a dose of reality is in order here.

Do you folks really believe the Angels will part with Weaver AND others in order to nab Bedard? Weaver, at this stage of his career, has performed better than Bedard at a similar stage. He has been near dominating as a rookie.

True true. SG proposed 2 of Kotchman, Kendrick, Wood plus Adenhart. They keep Weaver. Personally, I think Kendrick, Wood, Adenhart would clearly become the best offer trumping that of the Reds and Mets.

True true. SG proposed 2 of Kotchman, Kendrick, Wood plus Adenhart. They keep Weaver. Personally, I think Kendrick, Wood, Adenhart would clearly become the best offer trumping that of the Reds and Mets.

The Angels won't do that either. Kendrick is not chopped liver. Perhaps we could land him, but not with those three packaged with him.

Just look at his last season. He did not dominate in 2007. He was good, but not as good as he was in 2006. Bedard is an upgrade, and maybe they want to play keep away from the Mariners and Rangers, who are both pursuing him...

I would think Wood, Kotchman and Adenhart would be a good return if the Angels were intersted...Doubt they are though.
No way would I make that trade. Wood and Adenhart are very solid prospects, but neither are safe bets. Wood's stock has slipped the past two years, and Adenhart is still very far away from the minors. Kotchman is no better than Matt Murton, IMO.

I'd rather trade him for just Jones and Clement or Bailey/Cueto and Votto.

If its Kendrick instead of Kotchman, then its a very good package, better than what I think the Mariners or Reds will give up.

I would think Wood, Kotchman and Adenhart would be a good return if the Angels were intersted...Doubt they are though.

I don't think Kotchman would be on the table as Morales hasn't shown to be anything special and I don't think they'd move Kendrick to 1st.

Weaver, Wood, Adenhart and Willits is a good trade and one I think we would make. However, ultimately I think he winds up with the Mariners as Jones, Clement, Tillman/Butler and Chen is a better offer.

It isn't as if he's pitching in a tough pitcher's park.

Based on a quick glance at his stats it appears he is an almost extreme flyball pitcher (had he had enough IP to qualify, his 47% flyball rate in 2007 would have been fourth highest in MLB). His home field helps him tremendously in that it reduces RHB home runs by 9% and LHB home runs by 21% over the last three seasons (compared to 8 and 9 for Seattle). His career H/R splits support this. In fact, his career road FIP ERA is a half run higher than his home FIP ERA (the difference would be even greater if not for his really low home BB-Rate).

By the way, I'm not disagreeing that he's a darn good pitcher - because he obviously is. I'm just not convinced he'd put up "#2 starter" numbers pitching half his games in OPACY and in the AL East.

True. I didn't realize how pitcher friendly Anaheim was....and I didn't realize Pac Bell was renamed AT&T.

However, his first year is skewing his numbers heavily. He was much better at home his rookie year. But his 07 splits:

Away - 80.1 IP, 86 H, 8 HR, 23 BB, 56 K

Home - 80.2 IP, 92 H, 9 HR, 22 BB, 59 K

BUT, I think it would be common sense that when you pitch in a pitcher's park, there are fly balls given up that would have become HRs in another park. So even though his splits show an even line, his home numbers probably should be a little worse than his home line indicates.

So I probably move him to a #2/3 starter, maybe a bit more towards the #3 side in the AL East. But a starter like Weaver, considering age and price, still has value that isn't much more less than Bedard's.

Just look at his last season. He did not dominate in 2007. He was good, but not as good as he was in 2006. Bedard is an upgrade, and maybe they want to play keep away from the Mariners and Rangers, who are both pursuing him...

I don't agree that Bedard is an great upgrade. Weaver is better now than Bedard was at the same age. Weaver has proven top-notch MLB stats (his ERA+ was still a 117 or so last year) and will be 25 this year with four years 'til free agency while Bedard took until he was 27 to post a similar output. Bedard has two years left.

The Angels would be fools to deal Weaver straight-up for Bedard, if only because of Weaver's value between now and free agency.

There's no way I'd want to make him a DH. Truthfully, if we can acquire him, I'd like to see us move Hernandez, and let the kid catch for us.

Even though Wieters is a great prospect, there are no guarantees, and it wouldn't hurt for us to have two very good young catchers! :D

For that matter, let Hernandez play first. Doesn't he play first base for the Winter Leagues?

Just a hypothetical...in 2010 when a similar player to Bedard is on the block, what would the 2010 O's trade offer be for the pitcher?

This should take into consideration that the 2010 O's are now on the cusp of being competitive, but need one more top of the rotation starting pitcher. Wieters (C and cleanup), Rowell (3B and hitting 5th), Reimold (4th OF), Snyder (1B), Liz (closer), Erbe (#4), Spoone(#5), Patton (swingman), and Arrieta (bullpen) are now producing and the O's have continued to draft well. The 2006 and 2007 draft were a success and the two Tylers (Henson, SS, and Kolodny, 3B) are now 2 of our top 3 prospects in our system. Remember you can't use 2009 draft picks in the trade, so the #4 pick in 2008 (our top prospect) can be in the trade package. Also remember we've acquired, a young CF who is starting and hitting 2nd, young SS who has lived up to his potential, and a pitcher (bust) for Bedard.

So who do you trade? Rowell? Spoone? Top prospect?

Archived