Mariners still alive in Bedard hunt

JTrea81

How about this?

Bedard, Reimold, and Hoey for Martinez, Gomez, Pelfry, Humber, and another prospect. This will give the Mets a starter and reliever they can plug into their lineup immediately. It also give them a "replacement" for one of their lost outfielders for depth in the minors.

I don't like Gomez. I would be ok with Bedard for Martinez, Pelfry, and Humber.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like that package if Jones and Clement are on the board for Seattle. To me, Jones and Clement together are probably worth more than the sum of the Angels deal.

I agree, to be of equal value Weaver as well as Adenhart and Wood have to be in the deal. Jones is a better prospect than Wood, but that would be offset by the addition of Weaver. Since Willits has no place to play he would be included as well. The Angels could do an offer of Weaver, Adenhart, Wood and Willits that would be pretty nice. We'd be stacked in the young pitching department and fill both SS and CF at the same time.

Guthrie

Loewen

Weaver

Adenhart

Cabrera

Patton

Olson

Albers

Penn

Liz

Arrieta

Spoone

Bascom

Beato

Erbe

Look at all that pitching talent...

I would not discount the KC Royals. This young GM of the Royals has been acting fairly aggressive. They hace David DeJesus and Mark Teahen available. If they start making available guys like Billy Butler, Luke Hochevar, etc. they could make a run at Bedard.

I would love to see us making a deal with KC. I think they have a lot of young talent and would be a good fit for us, but I don't see them giving up guys like Teahen and/or DeJesus for two seasons of Bedard.

I do wonder, however, if KC might be a place that Bedard would sign long term? If they have a bevy of young talent that's competitive and make a late-season playoff run this year, he could see them as a contender for the next 5 years, and could agree to a long term deal with them. They probably have money available to lock him up for a while.

So...I guess it could be a possibility, but I also wonder if the "midwest" team is Cleveland?

I would not discount the KC Royals. This young GM of the Royals has been acting fairly aggressive. They hace David DeJesus and Mark Teahen available. If they start making available guys like Billy Butler, Luke Hochevar, etc. they could make a run at Bedard.

The Royals are not one piece away from contending though. I just don't understand why people keep saying that the Royals would be a good landing spot for Bedard. First of all, I'm not even sure that they have enough good young talent that they would be willing to part with to make the trade. Why would they go through the crazy long rebuilding process that they have gone through just to get rid of their best prospects for two years of Bedard. I just don't think they are close enough to the pennant race to make that kind of move. Maybe in July if things are looking differently, they might change their tune, but I doubt it.

You want Weaver Wood Willits and Adenhardt but you think AM is asking too much by wanting more than Cueto, Votto, and a so so prospect from the Reds or Jones Clement and a so so prospect from the M's?

Votto and Cueto > Wood and Adenhart

Weaver and Wood = Jones, Adenhart = Clement and Willits is the throw-in.

I agree, to be of equal value Weaver as well as Adenhart and Wood have to be in the deal. Jones is a better prospect than Wood, but that would be offset by the addition of Weaver. Since Willits has no place to play he would be included as well. The Angels could do an offer of Weaver, Adenhart, Wood and Willits that would be pretty nice. We'd be stacked in the young pitching department and fill both SS and CF at the same time.

Guthrie

Loewen

Weaver

Adenhart

Cabrera

Patton

Olson

Albers

Penn

Liz

Arrieta

Spoone

Bascom

Beato

Erbe

Look at all that pitching talent...

Add DHernandez to that list!!:D

I think you have to ask yourself if the upgrade and additional $ cost to go from Weaver to Bedard is worth Adenhart, Wood and Willits.

Votto and Cueto > Wood and Adenhart

Weaver and Wood = Jones, Adenhart = Clement and Willits is the throw-in.

Weaver is a 25 y/o starter that is under control for 4 more years and put up top of the rotation numbers in his first two years to go along with excellent K, BB, and command rates. Durability a concern? Yes. But his value is only a little less than Bedard at this point.

Weaver is a 25 y/o starter that is under control for 4 more years and put up top of the rotation numbers in his first two years to go along with excellent K, BB, and command rates. Durability a concern? Yes. But his value is only a little less than Bedard at this point.

I agree. Here we go again with everybody making trade proposals that are unrealistic. Then when they don't happen, they start in on ragging AM for not getting it done. If the Angels would part with Adenhart, Wood and Willits.. I would be surprised. I would also be very tempted to take it. If the Mariners were offering Jones, Clement and Sherrill. I would be very tempted.

The point is we will not get Jones, Balentein, Triunfel, Clement and Morrow. Lets get real.

Adenhart, Wood, Willits and Figgins for Bedard and Mora. That would do it for me. IMO, that is better than the Reds, Mariners...Any deal I have heard of. There you have your middle infielders, your CFer and a local top pitching prospect. Figgins can play 2b and lead off. BRob+ could then be traded for Murton, Marmol, Gallagher and Eric Patterson. We'd be set.

Figgins could be fliped w/ Brob so we can PIE.

I think you have to ask yourself if the upgrade and additional $ cost to go from Weaver to Bedard is worth Adenhart, Wood and Willits.

Bedard is a #1 starter which is better than Weaver who is more like a #3-#4 right now, and with an aging core of Hunter, Vlad and Matthews the Angels are in a win-now mode. The addition of Bedard to go along with Lackey, Escobar and Garland would basically seal the division for them and you can bet they want to be back in the playoffs while they still have Vlad. Bedard, Lackey and Escobar is also a nasty threesome to have to face in the playoffs. Right now Aybar is slotted to be the starting SS so Wood, Adenhart and Willits are all spare parts.

8000 posts and still counting...

Bedard is a #1 starter which is better than Weaver who is more like a #3-#4 right now, and with an aging core of Hunter, Vlad and Matthews the Angels are in a win-now mode. The addition of Bedard to go along with Lackey, Escobar and Garland would basically seal the division for them and you can bet they want to be back in the playoffs while they still have Vlad. Bedard, Lackey and Escobar is also a nasty threesome to have to face in the playoffs. Right now Aybar is slotted to be the starting SS so Wood, Adenhart and Willits are all spare parts.

JT, I think you answered whether the LAA could use Bedard - which about every team in MLB could. And you note the LAA are in a win now mode - as are at least a third of the teams in MLB.

But you don't really answer the question of whether it is worth adding around $5M-$8M in salary in exchanging EB for Weaver and kicking in Wood, Adenhart and Willits- specifically. And where you see spare parts, I see quality, necessary reserves for a team to compete.

Why is Weaver a #3/4 right now? Career numbers:

06 - 123 IP, 2.56 ERA

07 - 161 IP, 3.91 ERA

Did have an injury last year, but nothing too concerning.

This is basically a young pitcher that is already a #2 starter and his peripherals match his performance.

Put him in Safeco or Pac Bell Park and he is a #1 starter.

Archived