So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

You know exactly what we're saying here: Roberts is the starter for the time being. His history with the team and his spring performance dictate that. But there are still long odds of him being a good player (I know, I know, he doesn't have to be - last year then won 93 with Andino and some other bums, so they could win 110 with Don Knotts playing second) and pushing the O's forward.

I'll repeat: There are no other reasonable options now. They sink or swim with Brian Roberts at second to start the year.

I don't get what your issue is. I have said virtually the same thing. I haven't indicated that Roberts will be a "good" player, just better than what we have, for the moment. I am amused that so many this winter thought he wouldn't make it through ST. Perhaps you were one of them?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know exactly what we're saying here: Roberts is the starter for the time being. His history with the team and his spring performance dictate that. But there are still long odds of him being a good player (I know, I know, he doesn't have to be - last year then won 93 with Andino and some other bums, so they could win 110 with Don Knotts playing second) and pushing the O's forward.

I'll repeat: There are no other reasonable options now. They sink or swim with Brian Roberts at second to start the year.

Don Knotts would be more entertaining.

"And Knotts goes down on a questionable strike three."

215652d1184272282-worst-fashion-mishaps-preachfurly2.jpg

I don't get what your issue is. I have said virtually the same thing. I haven't indicated that Roberts will be a "good" player, just better than what we have, for the moment. I am amused that so many this winter thought he wouldn't make it through ST. Perhaps you were one of them?

Yes, I am surprised that he made it (or has made it so far) through spring training unscathed.

Yes, I am surprised that he made it (or has made it so far) through spring training unscathed.
I am not as suprrised. My feeling was that we should give him a shot, we could have something to gain. I certainly wasn't ready to write him off as done and I didn't expect him to retire for the good of the team. In those feelings I felt I was in the distinct minority. But it appears now I was mistaken and in fact shared the majority opinion?

I am not as suprrised. My feeling was that we should give him a shot, we could have something to gain. I certainly wasn't ready to write him off as done and I didn't expect him to retire for the good of the team. In those feelings I felt I was in the distinct minority. But it appears now I was mistaken and in fact shared the majority opinion?

I don't think anyone was saying he shouldn't get a shot...

Last year I was saying just release him and hopefully someone gives him 2 million and takes some of the hit off the payroll. At this point this spring I have changed my opinion to just play it out for a bit. He looks healthy and hopefully something clicks for him. He may just well be in a slump and turn it back around, so I am not going to be too critical of the ground ball routine outs or pop ups just quite yet. I hate watching it, but know that any player could go through something like this.

Last year I was saying just release him and hopefully someone gives him 2 million and takes some of the hit off the payroll.

The problem with this is there was never a scenario where something like a $2m offset could even have happened. Another team would have offset the veteran minimum, and no more. There was never a possibility of it playing out any other way, so giving him a shot always made the most practical sense.

My biggest problem with this entire thread is the creation of this fictional group of people who just hated Roberts and wanted him gone no matter what. I don't think that group has more than 2-4 members. My second biggest problem is the fact that people keep talking about our lack of alternatives as if Flaherty just doesn't exist. I'd be surprised if Flaherty wouldn't outperform Roberts if each were given 81 games at 2B this year.

That being said, I'm encouraged by this spring and obviously hoping that my performance expectations for Roberts were woefully low.

If it makes you feel better there are places that make custom T-shirts where you could have screenprinted "I believed in Brian Roberts' comeback before it was cool and it got me beat up after 6th period typing. But now I'm King of the World."

The problem with this is there was never a scenario where something like a $2m offset could even have happened. Another team would have offset the veteran minimum, and no more.

Exactly, why would Roberts sign for anything more than the minimum from another team? It makes no difference to him, he makes the $10 million regardless.

It comes down to whether Roberts is better than the player that would replace him at the MLB minimum.

Archived