Bryce Harper is wasting no time

Frobby

The Astros won't be nearly as lucky. Then again, they look to be going for at least three in a row.

They are currently tied with the Nationals for the best record in all of baseball, so they would have to fall a long way in order to 3-beat.

• 2 months later...

Here's Harper on his playing style:

“I think it’s just the way I play,” Harper said. “I go out there, I want to give 110 percent to these fans and for myself. I look at myself in the mirror and tell myself, ‘Hey, you gave it your all today. I went 0 for 4, it happens.’ A good day on the field means I’m going 110 percent, going hard, running everything out and doing things the right way. I’m not going to change that aspect at all.

Which reminded my of this quote from the 1982 Baseball Abstract about, of all people, Butch Hobson:

Butch always plays as if there were no game tomorrow. The problem with that is that there is a game tomorrow, and one the day after. I will never understand why baseball fans admire a player who runs into walls. Running into walls is a stupid waste of talent. Playing hard in baseball is so much admired that people make up lists of players who play hard, with the implication that this is a good to be sought after in its own right. The problem is that 80% of the people on those lists are dyed-in-the-doubleknit losers. And the ones who aren't losers are players like George Brett and Paul Molitor who spend a third of the season on the disabled list.

Archived