A Plea to end the Gary Glitter "Hey, You Suck!" chant

Mr Snuffleupagus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the "just stop playing it" argument, I can't speak completely intelligently about the music programming at Camden Yards, but I ran in to a recurring problem during my time being the primary tech at TU, specifically in Unitas Stadium and the soon to be gone arena. The person in charge of the programming changed quite bit during my time there, and was even shared by as many as a dozen people (myself included), until a very specific issue came up (nobody screening team warmup music that was played during times the gates were open). Then, it was given to the marketing department, and even though there was more stability, it still changed hands several more times before I left my employment there. When it came to canned music, I was pretty much beholden to the whims of the person in charge. Think about how music taste is so widely diverse. Now combine that taste with a marketing outlook to the task. There were a couple times when, even though I didn't really want to have it programmed, Rock and Roll Part 2 was programmed in. The short time the Baltimore Bayhawks called Unitas home was that way, too. RNR p.2 was the goal music.

Anyway, just figured I'd share a perspective that sometimes it's not as cut and dry as "they should stop playing it" based on my experiences in the booth of, at least, NCAA sporting events.

So, during little league games, we should all chant "Hey! You Suck!" to little Tommy batting 9th after he strikes out? I generally agree about not sheltering children to much, but there has to be a line. right?

Maybe the crowd at OPACY should start utilizing the Hey Batta' Batta', Swiiiiing Batta' chant while mixing in a few "Pitchers's got a big butt" harmonies. And of course end each game with a 2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate: Ray's!

Just saying, Little League is not the Major Leagues.

Maybe the crowd at OPACY should start utilizing the Hey Batta' Batta', Swiiiiing Batta' chant while mixing in a few "Pitchers's got a big butt" harmonies. And of course end each game with a 2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate: Ray's!

Just saying, Little League is not the Major Leagues.

Personally, I think that would be awesome. :D

Nothing wrong with that.

Like how the Yankees play that whistle-thingy every time an opposing batter strikes out?

I have no problem with the chant, but as a UMD alum I am a bit biased.

I actually like that....just not when the O's are playing there. :o

What if we change it out with "Tex you suck" even when we're not playing NY? I mean, that would kick all kinds of arse!!!!! :D

Da da dada da da,,,,TEX...YOU SUCK!

More like"Tex....Thank You!!" He did us a huge favor by signing with the Yankees. I imagine that might sting just a little more. I wouldn't want him thinking that we are anything but thrilled we dodged that bullet.

I've never cared for the "Hey, You Suck" chant at all. It brings nothing good to the table. People do it at Redskins games when they're doing well, too, and often it ends up being a motivating device for the other team. The machinations in baseball are a little different, but either way, why not enjoy your team's success without being an ass? As for this particular chant, when it happens during Orioles games I'm watching on TV, it's usually clearly audible. If I'm at a game and it happens, I abstain.

Full disclosure: there's a slightly different angle on this that I'm torn on. From my boiled-blood days of 1996, I have a soft spot in my heart for the "Yankees Suck" chant. At OD 2009 we definitely got that one going at certain points...at least under the overhang where sometimes stuff happens that you don't see on TV. When I hear the "Let's Go O's" chant during a home game versus the Yankees, I'm always wondering, "Where's the 'Yankees Suck' chant?"

The Seven Nation Army chant needs to stay at M&T; to me, it's an unnecessary carryover.

Nothing wrong with that.

Like how the Yankees play that whistle-thingy every time an opposing batter strikes out?

I have no problem with the chant, but as a UMD alum I am a bit biased.

I'm all for individuals yelling obscenities and saying awful things about the opposing pitchers mother. I just think that as an organization, encouraging the entire crowd to say "you suck!" is classless. I have a feeling if you asked the players or Buck they might say the same thing. Honestly, I didn't want this thread to be a rant, it all just seems a little low brow to me.

So, during little league games, we should all chant "Hey! You Suck!" to little Tommy batting 9th after he strikes out? I generally agree about not sheltering children to much, but there has to be a line. right?

Yelling at children is going too far. IMO

No...you shouldn't do that at Little League games.

However, I think it would be awesome if they did that at the National Spelling Bee after a contestant misspells a word. I mean...it's gotta beat that annoying bell.

I can see both sides of the argument on this one. Personally I don't care either way, but I understand why some do. I say we reserve it only for Yankee and Red Sox games. As much crap as those arrogant fan bases have given us, a little "you suck" to them isn't a big deal in my book.

Why lower yourself to their standards?

Archived