We shouldn't take Jim Johnson for granted

Frobby

Yeah, closers are overpaid and overrated. Yeah, Jim Johnson doesn't strike out as many guys as a lot of closers.

Here's what I know: when Jim Johnson comes into a game, he's all business. He's now converted 29 saves in a row in the regular season. Whatever ailed him in Games 1 and 3 of the playoffs last year, he's totally forgotten about it.

As a fan who has endured many lousy closers in the last 15 years, I'm damned glad to have JJ. I have utter peace of mind when he comes into a game. That's worth it's weight in gold.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been on the "trade JJ at his highest value" road for a while now.

For the first time in a while, tonight I began to question that conviction. JJ really is pretty high up on list of most valuable assets to the team.

JJ is one of the anchors of the team, no doubt and moving Manny over would create a major hole at 3rd that Norfolk isn't ready to fill anyway. However, JJ needs to crawl north of the Mendoza line again...I mean they're already carrying Flahrety.

Matusz postgame interview: Hunter: Brian, what are you thinking when you see Jim Johnson come on in the ninth.

Matusz: I think I'm about to see a save. (or something to that effect)

Why do they rarely interview Jim Johnson? Does he dislike interviews?

JJ is one of the anchors of the team, no doubt and moving Manny over would create a major hole at 3rd that Norfolk isn't ready to fill anyway. However, JJ needs to crawl north of the Mendoza line again...I mean they're already carrying Flahrety.

Pretty sure if we traded Hardy, a 3B would be part of the deal....

Closers are absolutely overrated and overpaid - unless they save 51 games to lead the league, help your team post the best record in 1 run games in history - all in a tight playoff race no less, plays a major role in your team winning 100!?! straight games when leading after 7 innings, and so far in the new season pitches to an ERA of 0.00 while leading the league in saves. In that instance, the closer is underrated and underpaid.

Johnson has been ridiculous - and if his strikeout rate this year is for real - look out - because as preposterous as it might seem if he sustains that K rate with his groundball stuff - he will be even better than he was last year.

In this context, "JJ" = "Jim Johnson".... not Hardy ;)

I absolutely loved how Joe Angel called the final strike of the game today, so evocative of how Johnson records his saves.

(Paraphrasing here): "And the Blue Jays are down to their last strike. [din of crowd slowly builds] The fans are coming to their feet now - the announced attendance is 13,272, but they sound like 25 thousand right now and they want a strike-out. You'll be able to tell here if it's a strike just by how the crowd reacts. He's coming to set... and the pitch... [pop of the catcher's mitt and immediately the crowd explodes in applause and cheers met while Joe Angel sits back silently for a few moments] ... and there it is! A swing and a miss!"

Just absolutely all-business, nothing flashy, just results.

JJ is incredible. Dude just gets it done. And I love how he's still under the radar. Most saves in the league since 9/7/11.

He's like the Don of the pitching staff.

His last pitch tonight was so ....in filthy. 92, on the black, bat swings right over where the ball was for about 59 feet. Disgusting.

Archived