Should Andy Etchebarren be in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame ???

OFFNY

Should Andy Etchebarren Be in the Orioles Hall-Of-Fame ???  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy Etchebarren Be in the Orioles Hall-Of-Fame ???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's pretty amazing that he was intentionally walked 12 times in 1966, a year in which he posted a .657 OPS. I know it was different times back then, but I would think pitchers would look forward to pitching to him. The dude couldn't hit.

In '66 catchers weren't expected to hit yet. It was before Fisk and Bench and other later ones.

I think it's pretty amazing that he was intentionally walked 12 times in 1966, a year in which he posted a .657 OPS. I know it was different times back then, but I would think pitchers would look forward to pitching to him. The dude couldn't hit.

There was no DH in 1966.

It's possible that Etchebarren was batting 8th in the lineup a lot, hitting right in front of the pitcher.

And if that was the case, intentionally walking the #8 batter (even if that #8 batter was not particularly daunting) would make sense in certain situations if it meant pitching to the pitcher instead.

There was no DH in 1966.

It's possible that Etchebarren was batting 8th in the lineup a lot, hitting right in front of the pitcher.

And if that was the case, intentionally walking the #8 batter (even if that #8 batter was not particularly daunting) would make sense in certain situations if it meant pitching to the pitcher instead.

I just looked it up.

Etchebarren started 118 games that season. He batted 8th in the lineup each and every time, without fail:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=etchean01&year=1966&t=b

I kind of agree. I'm an advocate for the induction of Randy Milligan, Joe Orsulak, Chito Martinez, Lowenstein, Roenicke, Sakata, Joe Nolan, Glenn Gulliver, Todd Cruz, Wayne Gross, Joe Nolan, Dave Skaggs, Don Stanhouse, Ross Grimsley, Mickey Tettleton, Stan Jefferson, Pete Stanicek, Ken Gerhart, Larry Sheets, Tim Hulett, Phil Bradley, Rich Schu, Bill Ripken, the hot girl Bill brought to 2131, Fred Ripken, Rene Gonzalez, R.C. Gonzalez, Texas Mike Smith, Mississippi Mike Smith, Craig Worthington, Bob Milacki, Mickey Weston, Kevin Hickey, and Jeff Ballard. And Steve Finley. And Dave Dellucci. And Dave Dellucci's hot sister I once saw at a Baysox game.

Really the criteria should be "do I smile when I think of this Oriole?"

I agree with the "smile" test for admission. Your list includes many, many players who don't make me smile, starting with Don Stanhouse who makes me kinda grouchy.

I count 43 modern Orioles who are in primarily as players:

1B: 4 (Gentile, May, Murray, Powell)

2B: 4 (Alomar, Dauer, Grich, Johnson)

SS: 4 (Aparicio, Belanger, Bordick, Ripken)

3B: 2 (DeCinces, Robinson)

C: 4 (Dempsey, Hendricks, Hoiles, Triandos)

LF: 3 (Buford, Surhoff, Woodling)

CF: 3 (Anderson, Blair, Bumbry)

RF: 2 (Robinson, Singleton)

DH: 1 (Baines)

SP: 10 (Barber, Boddicker, Brown, Cuellar, D. Martinez, Flanagan, McGregor, McNally, Mussina, Palmer, Pappas)

RP: 6 (Hall, Miller, T. Martinez, Olson, Watt, Wilhelm)

I have to admit, I had to look up Hal Brown. Never heard of him, though he went 62-48 with a 3.61 ERA in an Orioles uniform from 1955-62. Also, not sure why Jack Dunn III is in the Orioles' Hall of Fame, but none of the other "Old Orioles" are.

Some notable players who are eligible and not in yet: Palmeiro, Roenicke, Lowenstein, Devereaux, Snyder, Rettenmund.

Looking at that list I thought "What the heck, no Melvin Mora???" Then I saw it was old post so I looked it up and saw he was rightfully added last year along with Lowenstein and Roenicke. I am Ok with letting Etchebaren in.

I wonder what guys from the current team will make it:

Tillman,

Britton,

O'Day

Machado

Jones

Davis

Wieters,

Hardy

Schoop

"I’d rather cover 25 Albert Belles than one Scott Erickson..." - Kubatko

Yep and can the Orioles finally dump those Erickson-inspired black jerseys?

It's funny how people would point out how "consistent" Erickson was statistically, year after year. The reality was he was wildly inconsistent from one start to the next. They can put Andy in if they need to put in someone, as long as the leave out Erickson.

Looking at that list I thought "What the heck, no Melvin Mora???" Then I saw it was old post so I looked it up and saw he was rightfully added last year along with Lowenstein and Roenicke. I am Ok with letting Etchebaren in.

I wonder what guys from the current team will make it:

Tillman,

Britton,

O'Day

Machado

Jones

Davis

Wieters,

Hardy

Schoop

All of them.

Archived