Harper's Ejection

Il BuonO

I was a little surprised there was no thread about this. Maybe it means people like Harper as little as I do. From the looks of things on the Nats thread there's not a lot of love lost there.

Dan Kolko had another view of what John Hirschbeck called "slamming" the bat by Harper. This was the last straw according to Hirschbeck. He also said he slammed his helmet and that he "had no other recourse."

http://m.masn.mobi/nationals_pastime/2013/05/more-on-harper-and-a-tough-matchup-ahead.html

You can clearly see on the video and as Kolko points out, Harper merely tossed his bat and helmet aside.

I don't know if there was any history between then but out certainly looked as if he wanted to throw him out.

Now to be clear, Harper does show him up at what is a questionable check swing call (Hirschbeck was the 3B umpire asked for help), but Hirschbeck's response was reactionary.

I'm no fan of Harper's but umpires are all too often throwing players out of games for any reaction at all.

Baseball made a major mistake when they rehired any of the fools that participated in the mass resignation ploy. They had a chance to bring in a full slate of Umps that lacked the sense of entitlement that the old guard had.

Anytime an Ump decides to escalate a situation with a player he should get suspended.

Baseball made a major mistake when they rehired any of the fools that participated in the mass resignation ploy. They had a chance to bring in a full slate of Umps that lacked the sense of entitlement that the old guard had.

Anytime an Ump decides to escalate a situation with a player he should get suspended.

Absolutely, being held hostage by guys who should be easily replaced sets a bad precedent. Should being the operative word there.

I saw the play and was surprised. I like Harper a lot. He plays hard. But he's emotional.

But in another incident, Prince Fielder argued a 3rd strike call quite emphatically; yet he wasn't tossed. (He also argued a called strike earlier in the game.)

The difference? Fielder has been around for a while and the HP ump in his game had all of 3 years experience.

Whereas Harper's been around for 2 years and Hirschbeck has almost 30 years experience. It's as if Hirschbeck wasn't going to be showed up by some kid.

However, Harper didn't "slam" down anything. He tossed his bat and his helmet. Hirschbeck could have just walked away but he wrongly assumed that the fans at the game paid their good money to see him umpire; not to see Harper play for less than an inning.

I saw the play and was surprised. I like Harper a lot. He plays hard. But he's emotional.

But in another incident, Prince Fielder argued a 3rd strike call quite emphatically; yet he wasn't tossed. (He also argued a called strike earlier in the game.)

The difference? Fielder has been around for a while and the HP ump in his game had all of 3 years experience.

Whereas Harper's been around for 2 years and Hirschbeck has almost 30 years experience. It's as if Hirschbeck wasn't going to be showed up by some kid.

However, Harper didn't "slam" down anything. He tossed his bat and his helmet. Hirschbeck could have just walked away but he wrongly assumed that the fans at the game paid their good money to see him umpire; not to see Harper play for less than an inning.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Hirschbeck wanted to throw Harper out. By my count, he indicated to Harper at least once (possibly twice, depending on what he was saying to the Gnats 3B coach) to move along, and then ejected him when Harper took an unnecessarily long time to move along, all the while staring at the umpire. I didn't see him slam anything down, but neither did I see an umpire who was out to get Harper.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Hirschbeck wanted to throw Harper out. By my count, he indicated to Harper at least once (possibly twice, depending on what he was saying to the Gnats 3B coach) to move along, and then ejected him when Harper took an unnecessarily long time to move along, all the while staring at the umpire. I didn't see him slam anything down, but neither did I see an umpire who was out to get Harper.

Why would an Ump have any reason to move TOWARD home plate? Hirschbeck was being the aggressor. He escalated the situation.

Where should Harper have moved? He was the third out, and as is customary he stayed on the field waiting for somebody to bring him his hat and glove.

I'm surprised that nobody here has connected this incident to Hirschbeck's run in with Orioles' second baseman Roberto Alomar back in '96. In both incidents Hirschbeck ejected a star player early in the game. In both incidents he tossed them not because they had said anything to him about a questionable call, but because he didn't like their body language after the questionable call. In both incidents Davey Johnson was the manager of the star player who was ejected.

Between this and the Hallion ejection of David Price last week I think it might be time for another umpire purge. The boys in blue have evidently forgotten the lessons of the last purge, and need to be educated once again.

Archived