Team era when Wieters is not behind the plate is under 3.00

joedogg9999

I'd venture to bet that ca oriole and the man el gordo have never strapped on cleats in their delicate lives after reading this thread!

LOL. Yeah my baseball career fizzled out in Babe Ruth I'm afraid. My "delicate life" consisted of 24 years in the military.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, but that was clearly the context that I was talking about. It's what people often cite as evidence and what I was refuting.

That's fine. I respect that and it certainly gives you some level of expertise imo. I'm receptive to input and analysis from guys who have played baseball at the upper levels. I just don't care for the "you obviously never played the game" strawman.

I'm not antagonizing here, but my first post read:

"If a catcher calls a game that veers from the accepted understanding between manager-pitcher-catcher prior to a game, and it fails, the catcher takes heat in the clubhouse, or the manager's office."

And that's all I meant. I'm sorry if I came off as elitist. I could hit a fastball without a problem. But I couldn't hit the outside slider. I was done before I began.

I'm not antagonizing here, but my first post read:

"If a catcher calls a game that veers from the accepted understanding between manager-pitcher-catcher prior to a game, and it fails, the catcher takes heat in the clubhouse, or the manager's office."

And that's all I meant. I'm sorry if I came off as elitist. I could hit a fastball without a problem. But I couldn't hit the outside slider. I was done before I began.

Fair enough, but I think if you read my post it was pretty clear that I was talking abut public comments (i.e. that posters here cite as evidence). None of us have any real idea what goes on behind the scenes.

As far as pitch calling and/or pitcher handling I'm not sure how anyone can disprove he's good or bad at it, but I have no reason to think he's particularly proficient or even above average at it (an opinion that's often espoused on here). Basing that belief off Buck's and the pitcher's comments seems fairly ridiculous. Do any managers/pitchers criticize their catcher for this?

Anyways, lets forget it and move on.

Since it sounds like you were a catcher yourself, what's your opinion about Wieter's pitch framing abilities?

So, they've caught a total of 11 games, and Wieters 56. You think 6 games for Snyder and 5 for Teagarden are a sufficient sample? Of course you do, your agenda is obvious, and ridiculous.

Is it sufficient? Absolutely not.

But is it at least a little curious? Yeah, it is. I wonder what it was last year, that might help shed some light as well.

Is it sufficient? Absolutely not.

But is it at least a little curious? Yeah, it is. I wonder what it was last year, that might help shed some light as well.

His cera is below team era for both 2011 (4.57/4.89) and 2012 (3.80/3.90)

Wieters is not a good game caller.

Ok, based on...?

I find statements like these about as interesting as watching women's tennis. Not a good game caller? What's this based on? Another one of my favorites is, "He takes a bad route to flyballs." Really? Cause you can see the flyball on TV and track it better from your couch than the outfielder can.

I'll watch women's college basketball, actually. And softball.

Well, I don't watch any (though if I had to choose one, it'd probably be women's tennis, honestly ;)), and I don't like the Olympics. (But--full-disclosure--I love the series Girls and my list of favorite female authors and musicians is too long to give.)

And thusly, my mission of absurd-ifying this thread such that no one would even dare pose an even more absurd conspiracy theory on Matt Wieters ruining the Orioles has been thoroughly accomplished.

But I still contend that you are a dastardly human being, Moose. ;)

Archived