The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first interview I saw with Roberts this spring they ask him if he was competing for a job and he said, "No, the job was his." See, even if I was told the job was mine, if I had missed as much time as Roberts, I would have said something along the lines of, "Well, you know, everyone is out here competing for playing time. I've missed a lot of times over the last few years and I'm here to prove I'm the best player for the job."

I'm sure Buck knew that with a $10 million owed to him that Brian was going to get first crack at the job. That's just the way the game is now adays. Think about this for a second, If Brian Roberts was a free agent, do you think the Orioles would have signed him after posting a sub .700 OPS in four games in Triple-A after putting up a .214/.261/.298/.558 line in 288 PA since the 2011 season started to be there everyday second baseman/ RH DH? No, he's playing because they are paying him a lot of money and they are going to see what he can do for them. It's a sunk cost, but because of Brian Roberts history, he's going to get a significant amount of time to prove he can or can't play anymore. Back when the Orioles stunk this was fine, but competing teams really should not be trying out a guy like Roberts at the major league level.

Regardless, a selfless player would have gone down on rehab and ensured he was ready to be a productive player for the Orioles before asking to be activated.

I would have hoped that because of his history (stunk/injured for 4 years) and his advanced age he would have been told that he would have to prove himself at AAA before getting a shot.

I thought this kind of pandering to veterans was a thing of the past.

The Red Sox wouldn't have done this

The Ravens don't do this... take a look at all the cuts from their SB roster.

Championship players don't placate players who are way past their prime and no longer productive.

And Jones, never forget Jones.

Yeah I realized my mistake but didn't want to prove it to eveyone by showing an edit. Can't forget PA, Buck, DD, the bullpen, starters and DH's. If I missed someone, I appologize in advance for omitting you from the list.

How do YOU know he's done as a player?

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

I think that should do it. Need more? How about we talk about the "glory years.....of the late 2000's, like that has one shred of relevance to what is going on NOW. The past means nothing, especially in professional sports. It is "what have you done for me lately, not 5 years ago. And Roberts hasn't done anything lately except be an albatross and false hope for this fanbase.

It isn't 2009 anymore, it is 4 years later. The Brob who was an asset to the team in many ways is now a liability in more ways, and also put a red hot 26 year old on the bench. If there were no other better options hey let the man play for all I care, but when you put a .840 OPS bat on the bench for no good baseball reason we have an issue in a lot of fans minds.

If you can't see how that is a problem, or need any more evidence than the last 4 YEARS I don't know what to tell you.

Look at the history of 35 year old infielders and see what you find. Now add in the fact that he hasn't played regular baseball for 4 years and what do you have? You don't have a guy who is going to be better than what Flaherty was doing currently, period.

If Flaherty cools down, starts struggling you make the move. It is purely insanity to think throwing a guy who couldn't even see straight not that long ago back out there when EVERY single game is important as we fight for the playoffs. Not only that, but he hasn't been better than Flaherty since 2-0-0-9!! Meanwhile, Flaherty is hitting his prime performance years and maybe....just MAYBE he is finally rounding into at least an average option at the plate.

If Roberts continues to troll along like he is now there is no way Buck can keep running him out there. Maybe Buck is fooling us all, knowing this was what was going to happen but just trying to get it out of the way now, and after he struggles he doesn't have to "explain himself" to the vets in the clubhouse. (like he apparently feels he has to, for some odd reason).

The first interview I saw with Roberts this spring they ask him if he was competing for a job and he said, "No, the job was his." See, even if I was told the job was mine, if I had missed as much time as Roberts, I would have said something along the lines of, "Well, you know, everyone is out here competing for playing time. I've missed a lot of times over the last few years and I'm here to prove I'm the best player for the job."

I'm sure Buck knew that with a $10 million owed to him that Brian was going to get first crack at the job. That's just the way the game is now adays. Think about this for a second, If Brian Roberts was a free agent, do you think the Orioles would have signed him after posting a sub .700 OPS in four games in Triple-A after putting up a .214/.261/.298/.558 line in 288 PA since the 2011 season started to be there everyday second baseman/ RH DH? No, he's playing because they are paying him a lot of money and they are going to see what he can do for them. It's a sunk cost, but because of Brian Roberts history, he's going to get a significant amount of time to prove he can or can't play anymore. Back when the Orioles stunk this was fine, but competing teams really should not be trying out a guy like Roberts at the major league level.

Regardless, a selfless player would have gone down on rehab and ensured he was ready to be a productive player for the Orioles before asking to be activated.

Great post Tony. Spot on.

If Roberts were traded, there would always be someone else to kick.

In fact, if the Orioles were to win 3 consecutive World Series from 2013-2015, there would even be someone to kick then.

It's been going on almost everywhere since the beginning of mankind, and it isn't going to stop in the 21st Century at the OH. ;)

You mean a guy who has gotten paid 40 million over the past 4 years and has produced nothing other than a distraction wouldnt' be kicked anywhere else? This place may criticize players unjustly at times but come on Roberts would be critized on every teams boards in the league.

Yes. That's what I mean.

With or without Brian Roberts' chronic injuries and $10 Million per year salary over the past 4 years, "this place" would be no different than any other place in terms of finding someone to kick around, whether the Orioles were 69-93, 93-69, or winning 3 consecutive World Series.

Yes. That's what I mean.

With or without Brian Roberts' chronic injuries and $10 Million per year salary over the past 4 years, "this place" would be no different than any other place in terms of finding someone to kick around, whether the Orioles were 69-93, 93-69, or winning 3 consecutive World Series.

Some people are only happy when they have something to beotch, moan and complain about!

I just don't understand why the full rehab assignments weren't used with Reimold and Roberts. What am I missing? There's no reason to rush this the way we did, unless I just don't understand the rehab process.

???

Reimold voluntarily stayed down longer then the rehab period.

As for Roberts...

I just don't understand why the full rehab assignments weren't used with Reimold and Roberts. What am I missing? There's no reason to rush this the way we did, unless I just don't understand the rehab process.

Guess, Roberts had missed most of the last few years is on last year of his contract. Probably wanted to get back with the team as long as he could for one last season and a run at the playoffs. This is his last chance to go there with the O's.

Archived