The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strop and Arrieta are no longer around to kick. :)

If Roberts were traded, there would always be someone else to kick.

In fact, if the Orioles were to win 3 consecutive World Series from 2013-2015, there would even be someone to kick then.

It's been going on almost everywhere since the beginning of mankind, and it isn't going to stop in the 21st Century at the OH. ;)

In fact, if the Orioles were to win 3 consecutive World Series from 2013-2015, there would even be someone to kick then.

It's been going on almost everywhere since the beginning of mankind, and it isn't going to stop in the 21st Century at the OH. ;)

Nice one, and the Post of the day! :wedge:

I have more of a problem with McLouth playing against a lefty than Roberts. But I guess Reimold is pretty inadequate in the field, so they don't want him out there and would rather have a better glove/.675 OPS in McLouth.

But really, if you don't play Reimold against a lefty what situation is he on the roster for? His continued employment befuddles me. Much moreso than Roberts.

Good point. I can understand excessive faith in Roberts, but with Reimold... not starting him against a lefty seems to indicate he understands Reimold isn't good, so that's got to raise the question - why is he on the roster?

What he is doing is extremely selfish. He's taking at bats away from players that could actually help this team win. If he cared about the team, he would realize he's done as a player and walk away. What he is doing is forcing Buck to juggle his entire roster to accommodate him. He's not acting for the good of the team, he's acting for the good of Brian Roberts. The guy wants to keep playing baseball, that's why he keeps coming back. You can't blame him, it beats a real job, but he's not some sort of selfless saint that cares only about the good of the team.

Actually, there is some truth to that. Brob missed a significant amount of time yet played four games then pronounced himself ready? You would think a selfless player would give himself at least of week or two of minor league games where he could have truly evaluated whether he got the rust off instead of coming back up to the big leagues and forcing Buck to play him again. I don't think Roberts is some total me-first kind of guy, but I do think it was a bit selfish to pronounce himself ready for the big leagues without a significant rehab.

Remember, this is a guy who said the second base job was his this spring. He didn't say he had to earn it (although he did play well), he just assumed it was his job. There has always been a bit of a presumption with Brian Roberts and although I'm sure he wants to win as badly as anyone, I do think he'd rather do his rehab in a major league uniform than a minor league one because hey, who wouldn't rather be in the big leagues? Who cares if you don't have enough arm strength to throw out a slow runner in the shift and who cares if you are going to put up a sub .500 OPS?

I'm not going to demonize Roberts because I think he's probably impatient due to all his lost time, but I'm certainly not going to canonize him either. The Orioles have to share a bit of the blame here because they allowed Roberts to make the call.

The Yankees on the other hand are handling Derek Jeter's rehab a bit differently. Despite the fact Jeter wants to return to the big leagues, this is what Girardi had to say.

"He's ready when he's ready," Girardi said. 'You have to see how he's moving around, how he's responding physically to playing every day. You have to build him up. He has to be able to play more than five innings once every three days. We'll go through this this week and make sure and we'll make an evaluation."

So Derek Jeter, who is a much better player than Brian Roberts overall, and who has played a lot more baseball over the last three years needs a week or so to get back but Roberts was ready after 15 PA in which he put up a .641 OPS at Norfolk?

Let's remember here that Roberts has put up a .214/.261/.298/.558 line in 288 PA since the 2011 season started.

Roberts was once a great player who was on some bad teams, but now he appears to be a bad player on a good team.

The selfless player would have ensured he was ready to come back and be a productive player with the Orioles IMHO.

You mean a guy who has gotten paid 40 million over the past 4 years and has produced nothing other than a distraction wouldnt' be kicked anywhere else? This place may criticize players unjustly at times but come on Roberts would be critized on every teams boards in the league.

Well I agree with this.... but I don't blame Roberts.

Buck & DD let this situation happen, and they are letting it fester.

BRob is not one of the 25 best Orioles and he shouldn't be taking AB's away from Reimold at DH.

It's like the O's starting Jay Payton 20 games in September in his last games in the majors instead of evaluating new talent

except now the O's are competative and the stakes much higher for giving playing time to a washed up veteran.

Actually, there is some truth to that. Brob missed a significant amount of time yet played four games then pronounced himself ready? You would think a selfless player would give himself at least of week or two of minor league games where he could have truly evaluated whether he got the rust off instead of coming back up to the big leagues and forcing Buck to play him again. I don't think Roberts is some total me-first kind of guy, but I do think it was a bit selfish to pronounce himself ready for the big leagues without a significant rehab.

Remember, this is a guy who said the second base job was his this spring. He didn't say he had to earn it (although he did play well), he just assumed it was his job. There has always been a bit of a presumption with Brian Roberts and although I'm sure he wants to win as badly as anyone, I do think he'd rather do his rehab in a major league uniform than a minor league one because hey, who wouldn't rather be in the big leagues? Who cares if you don't have enough arm strength to throw out a slow runner in the shift and who cares if you are going to put up a sub .500 OPS?

I'm not going to demonize Roberts because I think he's probably impatient due to all his lost time, but I'm certainly not going to canonize him either. The Orioles have to share a bit of the blame here because they allowed Roberts to make the call.

The Yankees on the other hand are handling Derek Jeter's rehab a bit differently. Despite the fact Jeter wants to return to the big leagues, this is what Girardi had to say.

"He's ready when he's ready," Girardi said. 'You have to see how he?s moving around, how he?s responding physically to playing every day. You have to build him up. He has to be able to play more than five innings once every three days. We'll go through this this week and make sure and we'll make an evaluation."

So Derek Jeter, who is a much better player than Brian Roberts overall, and who has played a lot more baseball over the last three years needs a week or so to get back but Roberts was ready after 15 PA in which he put up a .641 OPS at Norfolk?

Let's remember here that Roberts has put up a .214/.261/.298/.558 line in 288 PA since the 2011 season started.

Roberts was once a great player who was on some bad teams, but now he appears to be a bad player on a good team.

The selfless player would have ensured he was ready to come back and be a productive player with the Orioles IMHO.

I believe he was told the job was his, he didn't just decide it was. Buck is on record saying that 2B was Roberts job as soon as he was cleared to play.

I believe he was told the job was his, he didn't just decide it was. Buck is on record saying that 2B was Roberts job as soon as he was cleared to play.

The first interview I saw with Roberts this spring they ask him if he was competing for a job and he said, "No, the job was his." See, even if I was told the job was mine, if I had missed as much time as Roberts, I would have said something along the lines of, "Well, you know, everyone is out here competing for playing time. I've missed a lot of times over the last few years and I'm here to prove I'm the best player for the job."

I'm sure Buck knew that with a $10 million owed to him that Brian was going to get first crack at the job. That's just the way the game is now adays. Think about this for a second, If Brian Roberts was a free agent, do you think the Orioles would have signed him after posting a sub .700 OPS in four games in Triple-A after putting up a .214/.261/.298/.558 line in 288 PA since the 2011 season started to be there everyday second baseman/ RH DH? No, he's playing because they are paying him a lot of money and they are going to see what he can do for them. It's a sunk cost, but because of Brian Roberts history, he's going to get a significant amount of time to prove he can or can't play anymore. Back when the Orioles stunk this was fine, but competing teams really should not be trying out a guy like Roberts at the major league level.

Regardless, a selfless player would have gone down on rehab and ensured he was ready to be a productive player for the Orioles before asking to be activated.

Archived