Time to Switch into Seller Mode

webbrick2010

While it is not a certainty by any stretch that the O's make the playoffs this year, and there is no certainty that a big move (addition) would put us over the hump and make us WS contenders, it's a near certainty that we miss the playoffs if we go into sell mode.

My new theory is that posts like these come from not knowing how to handle the uncertainty that comes with being a contending ball club. While we watch the games we're on the edges of our seats, every win causes elation while every loss causes a pit in the stomach. We didn't have that same pit in the stomach when this team was dreadful and out of the race before the break in years gone by, there was certainty and hope that we could build for 2, 3, 4, maybe 5 years down the road.

Really good point. I'm 21. For us guys in our 20s this is our first experience with a contending team.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really good point. I'm 21. For us guys in our 20s this is our first experience with a contending team.

I was a young kid during the 1996 and 1997 seasons, fell in love with the O's and never looked back. Some tough years in there, but I can certainly feel the difference following the club these past couple seasons.

While it is not a certainty by any stretch that the O's make the playoffs this year, and there is no certainty that a big move (addition) would put us over the hump and make us WS contenders, it's a near certainty that we miss the playoffs if we go into sell mode.

I feel to a certainty that Lee gets us there.

I would consider trading Hammel if we can get something we need more, like a DH bat. Also I think Matusz and Johnson, if not traded this winter, will be looked at as SP candidates next year because of their salaries. Trading Wieters is lunacy.

I would consider trading Hammel if we can get something we need more, like a DH bat. Also I think Matusz and Johnson, if not traded this winter, will be looked at as SP candidates next year because of their salaries. Trading Wieters is lunacy.

Depends on the return.

Depends on the return.
You aren't finding a C of his quality to replace him. What you get back would be prospects that probably won't be a factor on the ML club, within the 5 year window we have to contend with our present core. You may not understand the value of a good defensive C, who is a 20 HR, 80 RBI bat, but just about every ML manager and GM, including Buck and DD does.

You aren't finding a C of his quality to replace him. What you get back would be prospects that probably won't be a factor on the ML club, within the 5 year window we have to contend with our present core. You may not understand the value of a good defensive C, who is a 20 HR, 80 RBI bat, but just about every ML manager and GM, including Buck and DD does.

Well Said! and I agree with you on this one.

as trade deadline approaches

The O's have some pieces that they should know that they don't want to bring back next year:

1. Jason Hammel (FA) will get more than he deserves

2. Brian Matusz, 2M + for a <= one inning situational lefty is too much

3. Jim Johnson, 8M+ for a shaky closer is too much

4. Feldman (FA)

I would also dangle Matt Wieters to see if there are any interesting offers

I'm okay with giving Matt another arb raise and letting Buck over use him for another year, but I think as he gets close to FA his trade value will plummet and I hope the O's don't plan on extending him.

Aside from Hammel, whom I would consider trading if the offer was decent, everyone on this list is more valuable to us than what we'd likely get in return. We're not old like the Phillies, most of this team is in its prime. Stick with what you got, make upgrades if you get blown away with a good offer, but rebuilding isn't going to help. Especially given this organization's history with developing players. Specifically starting pitchers...

Funny I thought the O's were the team that traded Koji Uehara at the deadline and got two core pieces of this "playoff contender".

But I guess your right it can't be done.

Better to hold onto Hammel, and Feldman and their 5+ ERA and bid them goodbye at the end of the season getting nothing

Better to DFA Johnson and Matusz to avoid giving unwarranted arbitration raises and get nothing in return.

because this team is going to contend... sorry that is a pipe dream

First of all, it's you'RE, not your.

Second of all, you'RE either really stupid or trolling.

Archived