MLB Trade Rumors latest 2014 Free Agent List.

Redskins Rick

I never realized how bad Choo's defense had gotten. He was average, or better, up until last year.
Choo is playing CF this year instead of RF.

If you can somehow explain away last year (injury, fluke...) then Choo's numbers look a lot like an average defensive right fielder trying to play center.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking the same thing going through the list. I don't want to bet the farm, but a moderately priced 2 or 3 year contract would be worth the gamble IMO. Certainly not worth $20 mil a year. But a 2/18 or 3/21 or something in that neighborhood would be intriguing.

I think I recently heard a MLB talking head on the radio say that Lincecum won't get the $100MM deal that he might have got a year or two ago but would expect something in the 3/$40 to 3/$45 range. Way too much.

Actually, I still have hope for Britton, if he can avoid the mental meltdowns, the kid has talent.

Arrieta is doing better with the Cubs.

Matusz found his role in the bullpen. Being a 2 pitch, pitcher, makes it harder to be a starter.

So really, none of them are flamed out, yet.

So you would be happy if Gausman was like Britton back and forth between the Minors when he's 25? Or like Matusz a solid relief pitcher? Or like Arrieta who has to go to the National League to find "improvement" at age 27? Because I thought we were talking about Gausman locking in a spot in the roation for many years to come.

So you would be happy if Gausman was like Britton back and forth between the Minors when he's 25? Or like Matusz a solid relief pitcher? Or like Arrieta who has to go to the National League to find "improvement" at age 27? Because I thought we were talking about Gausman locking in a spot in the roation for many years to come.

I do believe I said originally, Gausman is still highly regarded by the organization and seen as a starter next year.

There was references to his being misused by the organization.

I referenced Tillman who bounced back and forth and how he flipped the switch and became a solid big league pitcher. Then somebody brought up the other three and I made comments about them.

No, I would not be happy if Gausman waits to have an impact, I think he has more solid stuff than that.

I do believe I said originally, Gausman is still highly regarded by the organization and seen as a starter next year.

There was references to his being misused by the organization.

I referenced Tillman who bounced back and forth and how he flipped the switch and became a solid big league pitcher. Then somebody brought up the other three and I made comments about them.

No, I would not be happy if Gausman waits to have an impact, I think he has more solid stuff than that.

I realize that he may be highly regarded, but I do not want to rush him. I feel as if he should be give as much time as needed in the minors to start producing before he is brought back up.

I realize that he may be highly regarded' date=' but I do not want to rush him. I feel as if he should be give as much time as needed in the minors to start producing before he is brought back up.[/quote']

Agreed.

Every case is different, some thought they were rushing Manny last year.

Everybody develops at their own pace.

I think I recently heard a MLB talking head on the radio say that Lincecum won't get the $100MM deal that he might have got a year or two ago but would expect something in the 3/$40 to 3/$45 range. Way too much.

While the market isn't completely rational, I have a hard time believing that a guy who's arguably below replacement the last two years is going to get paid like he's a solid +3-win player for multiple years. Especially when he's lost 4 mph of his fastball. I suppose a 2/20 kind of deal wouldn't be completely crazy, but if you have a 4+ ERA in the NL West I'd guess that's closer to 5.00 in the AL East.

I realize that he may be highly regarded' date=' but I do not want to rush him. I feel as if he should be give as much time as needed in the minors to start producing before he is brought back up.[/quote']

The team definitely needs to take their time and make sure Gausman has things sorted out. He's been very hittable (at all levels), and I feel like the only reason we saw him on the roster this year was attrition. They didn't have enough pitchers, and were hoping for another Hail Mary to stick, like we saw happen with some of last year's moves.

You seem to have left out the many, many, many pitchers that completely flamed out and were never heard from again. You're making it sound like a guy turning it around is an inevitability, rather than a rare gift.

You can say the same thing about guys that don't get rushed how many prospects look amazing an A bal and do ok in double AA and just fall flat on their face in AAA. It happens at every level not jst looking at our team. If you look at top draft picks you will see guy after guy that just falters somewhere. It maybe A all like Rowell or double A or triple A or even the majors.

You can say the same thing about guys that don't get rushed how many prospects look amazing an A bal and do ok in double AA and just fall flat on their face in AAA. It happens at every level not jst looking at our team. If you look at top draft picks you will see guy after guy that just falters somewhere. It maybe A all like Rowell or double A or triple A or even the majors.

Of course it does. I was just refuting the point regarding Chris Tillman, who first really ran into trouble with the big club.

I think the four top starters now will determine what we do more then anything unless someone slips and we give a one year deal. Chen looks like a solid pitcher and a 1/2 Tilman looks like a number 2. If Gonzo finishes the year strong and Norris continues to impress they will most likley use those top four and look for Gausman, Britton, Johnson or another guy they bring in maybe someone like Wada.

I think the four top starters now will determine what we do more then anything unless someone slips and we give a one year deal. Chen looks like a solid pitcher and a 1/2 Tilman looks like a number 2. If Gonzo finishes the year strong and Norris continues to impress they will most likley use those top four and look for Gausman, Britton, Johnson or another guy they bring in maybe someone like Wada.

This seems like the most likely scenario, but I would rather get a Matt Garza type pitcher to sit atop the rotation and push the Chen, Tillman, Gonzo, Norris group to 2-5 in the rotation. That would allow Gausman and Britton to be in the minors for injury replacement, and allow Johnson to go to the bullpen and be a swing guy. I don't see this happening and think your scenario is what we'll see, but I can dream, right?

This seems like the most likely scenario, but I would rather get a Matt Garza type pitcher to sit atop the rotation and push the Chen, Tillman, Gonzo, Norris group to 2-5 in the rotation. That would allow Gausman and Britton to be in the minors for injury replacement, and allow Johnson to go to the bullpen and be a swing guy. I don't see this happening and think your scenario is what we'll see, but I can dream, right?

There isn't a lot of healthy TORs on the list, and those that are, are probably getting maxed deals somewhere, which probably leaves the Orioles out of the running.

I just don't think they will pay Bud Norris $3 million-plus a year to be our 5th starter. He makes sense as our #4 with internal options filling #5. If our internal guys don't pan out, maybe you see them make a run at Cliff Lee or Iwakuma a year from now. I would take Iawkuma over Garza in a second.

Archived