Adam Jones leaves winter ball early?

GoOs3

Hey guys, no offense, but if Jones were being pulled from Winter Ball because he's being traded, I would imagine we'd have a lot more information about the actual trade at this point, no? It's not like an in-season trade, where a guy gets pulled from the lineup because he actually has to report to the other team. It's just Winter Ball.

My guess is that something is very, very close to being in place involving Jones, and at this point the parties involved can't afford an injury to blow it up, and he needs a physical anyway so he may as well start packing to come home.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, no offense, but if Jones were being pulled from Winter Ball because he's being traded, I would imagine we'd have a lot more information about the actual trade at this point, no? It's not like an in-season trade, where a guy gets pulled from the lineup because he actually has to report to the other team. It's just Winter Ball.

What an actual post about Adam Jones in the Adam Jones thread? Hallelujah!

I agree it's a big leap to think he was pulled because of a trade based on the little we heard, but I've got to say the Cardenales de Lara and a good chunk of Venezuela's 26-million or so inhabitants are taking their baseball playoffs very seriously.

I guess we'll see, huh? I can see why one would make this connection, and if I had been the one to find that nugget of info, I might have started the thread myself. :D Just trying not to get everyone's hopes up again. I know I can't take many more letdowns like the one last week.

I agree it's a big leap to think he was pulled because of a trade based on the little we heard, but I've got to say the Cardenales de Lara and a good chunk of Venezuela's 26-million or so inhabitants are taking their baseball playoffs very seriously.

Well, good for them. But I'm a fan of the Baltimore Orioles, not the Cardenales de Lara. :D

So can you confirm that he has left Venezuela? Has he been missing the last few days?

So can you confirm that he has left Venezuela? Has he been missing the last few days?

I can't confirm it.

Jones played centerfield on Wednesday, batting third and going 1-4 to drop his playoff average to .346 (9-26 no walks or extra-base hits).

His team did not play Thursday, and the boxscores from their doubleheader yesterday still haven't been posted. He's not mentioned in the game stories though.

I have no reason to doubt that he left, but there are a multitude of reasons why American born players can (and do) leave winter ball before the season concludes.

I can't confirm it.

Jones played centerfield on Wednesday, batting third and going 1-4 to drop his playoff average to .346 (9-26 no walks or extra-base hits).

His team did not play Thursday, and the boxscores from their doubleheader yesterday still haven't been posted. He's not mentioned in the game stories though.

I have no reason to doubt that he left, but there are a multitude of reasons why American born players can (and do) leave winter ball before the season concludes.

Jones didn't play in either of their games yesterday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&t=g_box&gid=2008_01_11_larwin_marwin_1

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&t=g_box&gid=2008_01_11_larwin_marwin_2

Here is some confirmation...

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdeportes.eluniversal.com%2F2008%2F01%2F12%2Fbeive_art_adam-jones-va-a-seat_667939.shtml&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The Google translation is a hoot, but if you read down toward the end it really does suggest that it is because of an upcoming trade, and that the team might actually get him back -- presumably if the deal doesn't go through..

"First, let's wait a few days to Jones, as it is an essential piece of equipment. If you are unable to return, we will seek a player of the same position or a pitcher to replace him," said Richard Gomez..."

The Google translation is a hoot, but if you read down toward the end it really does suggest that it is because of an upcoming trade, and that the team might actually get him back -- presumably if the deal doesn't go through..

"First, let's wait a few days to Jones, as it is an essential piece of equipment. If you are unable to return, we will seek a player of the same position or a pitcher to replace him," said Richard Gomez..."

Actually it is in the 1st paragraph, where they refer to him as "currency." That I found particularly enjoyable, considering that's what he is basically...

For 25 matches, the Cardinals Lara had the honour of having the number one leaflet of the Seattle Mariners, Adam Jones. And the fact is that, unfortunately, the prodigious gardener central fail, momentarily, the ranks sunset on the orders of his organization, which wants to consider involve in a negotiation with another currency as the Major Leagues.

Jones, Clement, Triunfel, Tillman,Sherrill & Chen

for

Bedard, Walker, & Payton

I'm Hoping!:D

I am not sure that Walker and Sherrill are not the same thing. Taking those two out makes it a little heavy in our favor. I just want a deal done that helps our lineup going forward and gives us more young exciting players to latch onto.

My guess is that something is very, very close to being in place involving Jones, and at this point the parties involved can't afford an injury to blow it up, and he needs a physical anyway so he may as well start packing to come home.

That is what I thought. You would not think the M's would let him play and then pull him during the playoffs.

Here is a thought. With all the rumors and all of us wanting clear direction. Maybe just maybe anything we see or hear is going to cause us to grasp at straws. Maybe the Mariners and Jones had a set number of innings. No one really knows but I am sure will find out by the end of this month.

Bigbird is a well respected member of this board. He provides very good information. Not sure what ground a person who has 155 posts and a 2 month member has to stand on. Tony and the mods do not tolerate trouble makers so beware.

Way to keep the elitism levels high around here.

Archived