Maybe I Am Too Old School But IMHO Crisp Should Be Given Chin Music His First AB Today

Old#5fan

Sports is supposed to be fun. You watch and play sports so you can feel that happy feeling that you get when you or your team does something well. Now obviously you can go too far, like with anything. Football players doing a 15-second choreographed routine for making a four-yard stop on 2nd and 7... that's probably over the line. But being happy about hitting a key home run - if you can't do that then why are there sports?

You don't think Chris Davis, Brian Roberts, Nate Mclouth, Matt Wieters, Adam Jones or JJ Hardy are happy when they hit a big home run? Yet you don't see them hot dogging it by this combination:

flipping bat, raising right arm up in the air and swirling it around, and then low fiving everyone in the dugout. Happy is one thing, hot dogging is another. I didn't like it, and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. If (and someday it will happen) I get a chance to be within earshot of Crisp at a game, he is going to get an earful from me...guranteed.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't think Chris Davis, Brian Roberts, Nate Mclouth, Matt Wieters, Adam Jones or JJ Hardy are happy when they hit a big home run? Yet you don't see them hot dogging it by this combination:

flipping bat, raising right arm up in the air and swirling it around, and then low fiving everyone in the dugout. Happy is one thing, hot dogging is another. I didn't like it, and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. If (and someday it will happen) I get a chance to be within earshot of Crisp at a game, he is going to get an earful from me...guranteed.

The thing in the dugout was a tunnel that the A's do ALL THE TIME. And the O's most definitely do have choreographed celebrations in the dugout. Jones and Davis have that high five they do. It really is no big deal. Bob Melvin is a classy guy and he'd be all over it if it wasn't completely innocuous. If you want to go after Coco sometime in the future, I'm sure he's pretty used to it. I'm sorry he hurt your feelings, but Coco is pretty great.

The thing in the dugout was a tunnel that the A's do ALL THE TIME. And the O's most definitely do have choreographed celebrations in the dugout. Jones and Davis have that high five they do. It really is no big deal. Bob Melvin is a classy guy and he'd be all over it if it wasn't completely innocuous. If you want to go after Coco sometime in the future, I'm sure he's pretty used to it. I'm sorry he hurt your feelings, but Coco is pretty great.

Yes, they do. I've seen several posters make GIF's of these over the past 2 years.

Also ...... without fail, after every Orioles win, the three Baltimore outfielders all do a high hip-bump (whatever you call it) with each other. I would say that that is/was a choreographed celebration, and it's right out there in the field, not in the dugout.

Yes, they do. I've seen several posters make GIF's of these over the past 2 years.

Also ...... without fail, after every Orioles win, the three Baltimore outfielders all do a high hip-bump (whatever you call it) with each other. I would say that that is/was a choreographed celebration, and it's right out there in the field, not in the dugout.

Oh cmon. After the game is over isn't the same as during the game. I wouldn't care if Crisp did backflips once the game was over.

You can be a fan of Coco all you want. He might be the greatest guy on the planet for all I know, but he will still hear it from me if he ever gets within earshot. Maybe if someone called him on it, he might understand there are others who don't like his antics.

That must be a really good knife you've got to split a hair that precisely.

Splitting top of 9th versus game over isn't all that precise. The Orioles still had three hitters batting. That game was a long way from being over with a one run deficit, albeit as it turned out it wasn't.:(

Oh cmon. After the game is over isn't the same as during the game. I wouldn't care if Crisp did backflips once the game was over.

OK, Old Fan.

If it's on the field, then it matters, but after the game on the field, then it doesn't matter.

Also, if it's choreographed celebrations in the Orioles dugout, then it's fine, but if it's choreographed celebrations in the dugout of the opposing team, than they are arrogant punks that need to be dealt with with a vengeance.

Are there any other hypocritical rules/judgements of yours that we all need to know ???

Didn't read the whole thread, but say we did hit Crisp. Then Oakland wants to get even and goes after Davis, Jones or Machado and hurts them by hitting them in the wrong spot, intentional or not. Effectively ending our season in the process.

It's just not worth it.

Yeah, we lost Nick to the DL once before, because of a hit by pitcher, and he wasn't even throwing at him.

Not worth it.

OK, Old Fan.

If it's on the field, then it matters, but after the game on the field, then it doesn't matter.

Also, if it's choreographed celebrations in the Orioles dugout, then it's fine, but if it's choreographed celebrations in the dugout of the opposing team, than they are arrogant punks that need to be dealt with with a vengeance.

Are there any other hypocritical rules/judgements of yours that we all need to know ???

Your summation is not what I am complaining about at all. I suggest you read my entire commentary before making such a snap erroneous judgment. I wouldnt care if Crisp did a simple bat flip and then went into the dugout with his arm up waiting for people to high five him like the O's do.

BUT he didn't do that... He SHOWBOATED by NOT just flipping the bat, he then gave some kind of raised right arm swirl (what that hot dog move was about I have no idea) and then, he didn't wait to be congratulated he started dancing like Jacoby Jones and low fiving everyone. If you think that is the same as the Orioles celebrate a homer you are nuts!!!

Didn't read the whole thread, but say we did hit Crisp. Then Oakland wants to get even and goes after Davis, Jones or Machado and hurts them by hitting them in the wrong spot, intentional or not. Effectively ending our season in the process.

It's just not worth it.

You do have a point, but sometimes enough is enough. Although I dislike him now, I recall Mike Mussina as an Oriole standing his ground against Seattle when that famous brawl broke out. I would actually think that sometimes the current version of the Orioles should show that kind of heart.

Your summation is not what I am complaining about at all. I suggest you read my entire commentary before making such a snap erroneous judgment. I wouldnt care if Crisp did a simple bat flip and then went into the dugout with his arm up waiting for people to high five him like the O's do.

BUT he didn't do that... He SHOWBOATED by NOT just flipping the bat, he then gave some kind of raised right arm swirl (what that hot dog move was about I have no idea) and then, he didn't wait to be congratulated he started dancing like Jacoby Jones and low fiving everyone. If you think that is the same as the Orioles celebrate a homer you are nuts!!!

Why don't you just admit that you were mad about Crisp homering off the Orioles and leave it at that? There isn't a Committee To Punish Unamerican Levels of Celebration in Baseball, and we're all better for it.

You do have a point, but sometimes enough is enough. Although I dislike him now, I recall Mike Mussina as an Oriole standing his ground against Seattle when that famous brawl broke out. I would actually think that sometimes the current version of the Orioles should show that kind of heart.

And Earl was famously against beanball wars and fights. I would hope the current version of the Orioles continue to use that kind of restraint and maturity.

Look, it wasn't that big of a bat flip, Eddie used to do the same dang thing.

You pick your battles and you pick the ones worth winning.

This wasn't one, on a scale of 1-10, this is a 1.

Archived