Maybe I Am Too Old School But IMHO Crisp Should Be Given Chin Music His First AB Today

Old#5fan

Yea, I agree, Earl was little girly man who didn't understand what a real man's sport was all about. Going to fake war is much more important than winning baseball games.

You act like you are an expert on Earl, and probably weren't even old enough to see him manage. Gimme a break.. You have a lot to learn about the actual game. It is played by men, not stats geeks.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I really don't get this. I get being upset that we lost. I get not liking the bat flip and celebration. But to be SO worked up over it that you are furious that we didn't intentionally hit a guy is what I DON'T get.

It's just a bit immature (at least in my mind) to not like something and want to hit somebody because of it.

Okay, I really don't get this. I get being upset that we lost. I get not liking the bat flip and celebration. But to be SO worked up over it that you are furious that we didn't intentionally hit a guy is what I DON'T get.

It's just a bit immature (at least in my mind) to not like something and want to hit somebody because of it.

I think it goes back to that ole saying, consider the source. :)

You act like you are an expert on Earl, and probably weren't even old enough to see him manage. Gimme a break.. You have a lot to learn about the actual game. It is played by men, not stats geeks.

So because he'd rather win a game than punish a player you feel wronged you by flipping a bat and putting his hands low instead of high when slapping hands that makes him not a real man and a stat geek? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a win is the only stat that everyone seems to agree on it's value. Without wins what is the point?

Well, I am old enough to see Earl manage, but I would not call myself an Earl expect.

I know a lot about the game, but way less than several of the respected posters here on OH.

But, you got your panties all in a twist on this one, for some reason, I haven't seen one poster defending you and your viewpoint.

So maybe you need to rethink about it and maybe it wasn't that big of deal, afterall.

So because he'd rather win a game than punish a player you feel wronged you by flipping a bat and putting his hands low instead of high when slapping hands that makes him not a real man and a stat geek? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a win is the only stat that everyone seems to agree on it's value. Without wins what is the point?

Winning a game is the utmost goal - i cannot argue that. However being insulted and doing nothing about it is also right up there in my estimation.

Well, I am old enough to see Earl manage, but I would not call myself an Earl expect.

I know a lot about the game, but way less than several of the respected posters here on OH.

But, you got your panties all in a twist on this one, for some reason, I haven't seen one poster defending you and your viewpoint.

So maybe you need to rethink about it and maybe it wasn't that big of deal, afterall.

Maybe not... maybe you need to learn some sportsmanship like Crisp.

Winning a game is the utmost goal - i cannot argue that. However being insulted and doing nothing about it is also right up there in my estimation.

The argument on whether or not 'we' were insulted has been made as has the argument on whether throwing at or around someone's head is the right response.

I personally just find it a bit juvenile to take the approach of basically saying: "he celebrated wrong, let's throw a hard round object going 90+ mph at him"

I think something is wrong if a bat flip, arm motion or, heaven forbid, slapping hands low instead of high is insulting someone to the point of wanting physical harm that person. But maybe that's just me.

You do realize that Earl Weaver WAS a stat geek??? And so I believe is Buck. I was in the Orioles locker room recently playing ping-pong, and I'm pretty sure Buck is a man as well, even though he didn't have his pitcher hit Crisp as apparently a real man would have done. Someone else will have to verify if Earl was a man since he never invited me to play ping-pong so I only saw him from the stands and on TV a few zillion times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Weaver#Use_of_statistics

You are wrong. I'm old enough to have seen Earl manage 5 or 6 years. I learned an awful lot from him. I would be very surprised if he agreed with your misguided sentiments as expressed in this thread.

Maybe not... maybe you need to learn some sportsmanship like Crisp.

For crying out loud.

You started this thread three days ago and you have beat this into a dead horse.

Multiple posters have tried to reasonably discuss this and you attack them, since you can't convince them you are right.

I am finished trying to discuss this with you. Have a good day!

I think something is wrong if a bat flip, arm motion or, heaven forbid, slapping hands low instead of high is insulting someone to the point of wanting physical harm that person. But maybe that's just me.

It was a "circular over the head hot dog arm motion"... coupled with the other two... that's the apparent magic tipping point.

bat flip + circular overhead hot dog arm motion + low hand slaps = chin music. Come on man... they teach that the first day of little league. ;)

Archived