Luis Hernandez shining in Winter League playoffs

JakeeO

Count me in the group that's willing to give him a chance at SS.

Given that 2008 will be all about rebuilding, I'm ok if he spends the first half manning the middle infield.

I don't care if he swats .215 as long as he plays solid D and is decent running the bases.

If his glove is THAT good, I could live with it too. I love defense.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that 2008 will be all about rebuilding, I'm ok if he spends the first half manning the middle infield.

I don't care if he swats .215 as long as he plays solid D and is decent running the bases.

How is he going to be a decent base runner?? If he's only batting .215 when is he ever going to be on base?

Hernandez' career SB numbers are 43 steals, 32 caught, 57%. That's significantly below the break-even point, so he's costing his teams runs on the bases. So many that it would be very difficult for any reasonable amount of heads-up baserunning to make up for it.

It's safe to assume that he won't be creating positive runs on the bases, and it's very likely he'll be below replacement-level on offense. His entire case for playing in the majors is his defense.

In a perfect world the Orioles would have Stephen Drew right now as the long-term solution as shortstop.

But the Orioles selected Wade Townsend in the 2004 draft, didn't sign him, and wound up with Garret Olson as a comp pick.

Typical Oriole incompetence... :(

In a perfect world the Orioles would have Stephen Drew right now as the long-term solution as shortstop.

But the Orioles selected Wade Townsend in the 2004 draft, didn't sign him, and wound up with Garret Olson as a comp pick.

Typical Oriole incompetence... :(

I remember people saying that since Drew was "a bust" a few years back, that it didn't matter that Angelos interceded and forced the FO to draft Townsend instead.

LOL

Hernandez' career SB numbers are 43 steals, 32 caught, 57%. That's significantly below the break-even point, so he's costing his teams runs on the bases. So many that it would be very difficult for any reasonable amount of heads-up baserunning to make up for it.

It's safe to assume that he won't be creating positive runs on the bases, and it's very likely he'll be below replacement-level on offense. His entire case for playing in the majors is his defense.

Wait, i thought he was going to make the team because a lot of past WS winners had a SS on their team who couldn't hit?

For those who like cup half full stories, Luis Hernandez is hitting .333 in the playoffs down south.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/fantasyguy/blog/2008/01/winter_leagues_update_luis_hernandez.html

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I guess the handful of us who were espousing the team played better with Hernandez at short and Tejada not on the field were not so worthy of ridicule after all?:D

....characters....

What are you trying to say? That 24 at bats isn't a good indicator of how good or bad he is? If that is what you are saying, you are dead wrong.

Obviously 24 at bats should outweigh the rest of his pathetic performance in winter ball this year and the hundreds and thousands of poor stats in the minors.

The record is duly noted! ;):)

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I guess the handful of us who were espousing the team played better with Hernadez at short and Tejada not on the field were not so worthy of ridicule after all?:D

Because through 24 AB's in playoff winter ball he has a .333 batting average? You can't be serious. What about that .217 AVG throughout the regular season? Or even better, his career .299 OBP in the minors?

I really shouldn't feed the trolls...

Archived