Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

Betemit does not seem to be in top form. The O's were trying to extend his rehab but apparently he didn't agree to that. O's are trying to win to contend. There is not much time left. OJT on the major league roster is probably not the best idea.

I agree with this. It may mean Morse could end up DH'ing against RHP. I think that was part of the decision.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet last off-season he said he didn't, which was one of the reasons Reynolds was let go.

I didn't hear Davis say anything last off season. Buck kept saying that Chris was a good defensive 1B. I was somewhat surprised to hear Chris say he liked to DH the other day but he said it.

The real reason for this trade is DD wants to corner the market in players with MM initials - Manny Machado and now Mike Morse. The good news is he just solved our pitching needs by working a trade for Matt Moore.

Here's the Orioles M&M team. I'm moving Melvin Mora to LF (he's played there), and bringing in Mark McGwire to play first and the zombie Mickey Mantle to play center field. These are all the Orioles players since 1954 with MM initials (plus McGwire and Mantle).

1st Mark McGwire

2nd Mark McLemore (2nd, 1992-94)

SS Mickey McGuire (ss, 1962, 1967)

3rd Manny Machado (3rd, 2012-13)

RF Mike Morse (of, 2013)

CF Mickey Mantle

LF Melvin Mora (3rd, 2000-09)

Utility infielder: Mike Moriarty (ss, 2002, 2005)

P Morrie Martin (p, 1956-57)

P Mike McCormick (p, 1963-64)

P Mike Milchin (p, 1996)

P Mike Morgan (p, 1987-89)

P Mike Mussina (p, 1991-2000)

Manager: Matt Martin (current Orioles Defensive Coordinator)

Time for me to put what I think about Morse aside and root for the O's new player to bring some magic with him against the Yankees this afternoon. O's are 4 back in the Wild Card race with 4 weeks to play. That is a tall order. If it happens it will be fun to watch.

To make room for Morse today the O's have to option a player. I hate to see Valencia go and not be available to face Pettitte tomorrow. Maybe they can option Matusz and bring up Hendrickson tomorrow. Liddi or Thames get DFA'd. Just my guess.

So Chen will return probably after today's game so he is on the playoff roster. Who gets optioned? Gonzo is my guess with him being brought back Tuesday.

Call ups for tomorrow? Stinson, Hendrickson are my guess.

Tides still in the pennant race. Look for Tyler Wilson to be called up to the Tides. Wright probably gets shut down because of the innings he has pitched.

Original thread here announcing it. Its 307 posts long as of right now and I haven't followed it, so I wanted to get some analysis just on the merits of the trade in a separate thread.

What are the chances Morse will be worth it down the stretch?

How bit a loss is Avery?

Isn't Valencia a better DH right now?

Is this a desperation move?

Is there any evidence Morse is poised to deliver?

Archived