Jones playing again in Venezuela

JTrea81

Could be the death knell of this deal as msot have said, but it could also be a negotiation ploy by the Mariners. It did not cost them anything to do this, and obviously shows that they may be moving on. Then again they may not. Regardless I don't think it will affect AM. He is going to get what he wants in any Bedard deal and any other GM thinking he can talk or negotiate AM down is wrong.

AM will get HIS deal. I think he might be fullhardy and may be thinking that Bedards value will remain static. I think come mid season it very may well be, and I think most GM's think this, that Bedards value might lower to what they are offering on the high end now.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy does this bring out the skeptic in me. I just feel like every rumor goes the same way. If AM doesn't like the returns being offered, that's one thing. But it seems like all of these things die at the "very end." I wonder what the common link is at the end of all these deals causing them to die when all speculation points to it being a deal. And, sure, it's a lot of speculation and we don't know what's really going on. But, how come there aren't many other teams with as many fiascoes and unfulfilled rumors as us?

Does anybody else want off this ride? Seriously this offseason has had so many highs and lows and more lows than highs, that I just want it to end. I'm sick of all this drama.

I'm with JT on this one. I am so sick of this now. Normally offseasons are fun to see who the Orioles will sign as Free Agents. This year was different. This year we were looking for a total rebuild! This year I thought would be the final end of the repetitive cycle we've been in. Instead we have nothing. Tejada dealt...big deal. That only means something if Bedard and Roberts are gone as well. Hell, I'd be happy KEEPING Roberts and just trading Bedard. But this has grown to a point of insanity. I don't care about 'how close' we were to a deal. If thats true, or if its not true, either way, MacPhail said he was gonna rebuild, and thus far I see the same crappy team we had last year, minus Tejada! Its time to make deals. He's drwan this (poop) out as long as he can. Spring Training is right around the corner, and Trembley has no idea who's gonna be in Florida in 4 weeks. The Cubs fans warned us about MacPhail's deliberate pace. Now we are seeing it for ourselves. I am tired of being patient. I am tired of arguing over the FOURTH piece of a deal. If the proposed Mariner deal is out there, you take it! NOW! No more posturing! No more waiting! No more hard ball! Make the GD trade already! If you don't like the Roberts deal, then resign him for 5 years and make him the new Cal. I'd have no problem with that. But Bedard can get us 3 major league ready guys! DO IT! What the hell is MacPhail waiting for? I had no problem being patient in October, November, and December. But its no longer time for patience! The offers are there...make the deals! If we go into next year and Bedard, Payton, Gibbons, Huff, Millar, and Mora are still starters on this team, I may be finally done with them. I may finally stop wasting three hours a night in front of the TV. I may stop living and dieing by this team. I am fully willing to support my Orioles if they make an effort to get better, but if their big move is getting rid of our best offesnive player and resigning Patterson, I AM DONE WITH THEM! MacPhail...I understand you've got 4-5 weeks left, but I am no longer giving you any benefit of the doubt. My usual 10-15 games a year will be down to the Holiday 4-pack I bought for Opening Day and NOTHING more! I am so sick of this! Make the deals or live with 5th place finishes forever! :mad:

I apologize for the rant, but Dipper has finally snapped. The half full glass has been shattered for me. The optimism is gone for me. MacPhail still has time to make me look like an idiot, and I sincerely hope he does, but you know what? I just don't trust him anymore! Thank you Orioles FO for finally making me hate the team that I love! :mad:

I'm with JT on this one. I am so sick of this now. Normally offseasons are fun to see who the Orioles will sign as Free Agents. This year was different. This year we were looking for a total rebuild! This year I thought would be the final end of the repetitive cycle we've been in. Instead we have nothing. Tejada dealt...big deal. That only means something if Bedard and Roberts are gone as well. Hell, I'd be happy KEEPING Roberts and just trading Bedard. But this has grown to a point of insanity. I don't care about 'how close' we were to a deal. If thats true, or if its not true, either way, MacPhail said he was gonna rebuild, and thus far I see the same crappy team we had last year, minus Tejada! Its time to make deals. He's drwan this (poop) out as long as he can. Spring Training is right around the corner, and Trembley has no idea who's gonna be in Florida in 4 weeks. The Cubs fans warned us about MacPhail's deliberate pace. Now we are seeing it for ourselves. I am tired of being patient. I am tired of arguing over the FOURTH piece of a deal. If the proposed Mariner deal is out there, you take it! NOW! No more posturing! No more waiting! No more hard ball! Make the GD trade already! If you don't like the Roberts deal, then resign him for 5 years and make him the new Cal. I'd have no problem with that. But Bedard can get us 3 major league ready guys! DO IT! What the hell is MacPhail waiting for? I had no problem being patient in October, November, and December. But its no longer time for patience! The offers are there...make the deals! If we go into next year and Bedard, Payton, Gibbons, Huff, Millar, and Mora are still starters on this team, I may be finally done with them. I may finally stop wasting three hours a night in front of the TV. I may stop living and dieing by this team. I am fully willing to support my Orioles if they make an effort to get better, but if their big move is getting rid of our best offesnive player and resigning Patterson, I AM DONE WITH THEM! MacPhail...I understand you've got 4-5 weeks left, but I am no longer giving you any benefit of the doubt. My usual 10-15 games a year will be down to the Holiday 4-pack I bought for Opening Day and NOTHING more! I am so sick of this! Make the deals or live with 5th place finishes forever! :mad:

I apologize for the rant, but Dipper has finally snapped. The half full glass has been shattered for me. The optimism is gone for me. MacPhail still has time to make me look like an idiot, and I sincerely hope he does, but you know what? I just don't trust him anymore! Thank you Orioles FO for finally making me hate the team that I love! :mad:

You need a timeout, buster.

Could be the death knell of this deal as msot have said, but it could also be a negotiation ploy by the Mariners. It did not cost them anything to do this, and obviously shows that they may be moving on. Then again they may not. Regardless I don't think it will affect AM. He is going to get what he wants in any Bedard deal and any other GM thinking he can talk or negotiate AM down is wrong.

AM will get HIS deal. I think he might be fullhardy and may be thinking that Bedards value will remain static. I think come mid season it very may well be, and I think most GM's think this, that Bedards value might lower to what they are offering on the high end now.

Well said. I do think it is obviously a game of chicken. We can only hope AM wins. Personally, I still think this offseason is the best time to trade Bedard. I feel there are too many risks involved in keeping him until July, and the rewards then (July) will probably be younger in terms of prospects as well. I think it will at least slow the rebuilding process.

You need a timeout, buster.

I know you were kidding, but you just might be right.

Maybe I should just hang low until pitchers and catchers report, because thus far MacPhail and his stall tactics are not impressing me. It was GREAT for three months, and I commended him for it, but the deals are now there and won't get any better, no matter how many wishes upon a falling star he makes! The time is now...the place is now...make the deals darnit! :mad:

Maybe I should just hang low until pitchers and catchers report, because thus far MacPhail and his stall tactics are not impressing me. It was GREAT for three months, and I commended him for it, but the deals are now there and won't get any better, no matter how many wishes upon a falling star he makes! The time is now...the place is now...make the deals darnit! :mad:

I'm pretty sure they're meant to derive the best possible return, rather than impress. How could a delay tactic impress? It's based on...delay.

And how do you know the deals won't get better? Or, in the inverse, that somehow not closing the deal now means anything other than the deal doesn't happen until next week?

I'm pretty sure they're meant to derive the best possible return, rather than impress. How could a delay tactic impress? It's based on...delay.

And how do you know the deals won't get better? Or, in the inverse, that somehow not closing the deal now means anything other than the deal doesn't happen until next week?

You're right, we absolutely don't know anything about the deals we may get. But, what we do know is that so far it's the same old story. Whether it's the Roberts deal falling through when all signs (many, many reputable sources) says it's done or the AJ Burnett deal falling through, this organization has a history of simply not getting it done. And, there is a large camp - myself included - who really doesn't expect anything to change. So far, the script is the same as every offseason. The only difference is, it's been worse this season. We made one trade to rebuild, but not enough. And, as an isolated deal, all that trade did was make us worse. If you don't commit fully to rebuilding, then you won't do yourself any good.

Is there time for this to change? ABSOLUTELY. But, I don't think anyone can be surprised that there are skeptics here saying they knew this would happen. Let's just hope AM can prove us wrong.

You have to stay positive, man. As soon as tomorrow, we could have an outfield of Markakis, Jones and Scott; an infield of Clement, Roberts, Mora and someone's sister. And a decent closer. We still suck, but we are younger, which would make us less suckier.

You're right, we absolutely don't know anything about the deals we may get. But, what we do know is that so far it's the same old story. Whether it's the Roberts deal falling through when all signs (many, many reputable sources) says it's done or the AJ Burnett deal falling through, this organization has a history of simply not getting it done. And, there is a large camp - myself included - who really doesn't expect anything to change. So far, the script is the same as every offseason. The only difference is, it's been worse this season. We made one trade to rebuild, but not enough. And, as an isolated deal, all that trade did was make us worse. If you don't commit fully to rebuilding, then you won't do yourself any good.

Is there time for this to change? ABSOLUTELY. But, I don't think anyone can be surprised that there are skeptics here saying they knew this would happen. Let's just hope AM can prove us wrong.

Believe what you like - you're more likely to be right than I am, in all honesty. I was only taking issue with the idea that one could, or couldn't, be "impressed" by a tactic which fails to pull the trigger in an attempt to up the ante. It's not an impressive strategy. There's no way to know whether it's a good one or not until the day the trade flies or fails.

Read my earlier post on this page. I said I don't know that the deals won't get done, and I said I HOPE MacPhail proves me wrong. But the point is he hasn't done jack or poop in 4 months, why should I have any faith in the final waning weeks before spring training? And if you want to play devil's advocate and say "MacPhail doesn't have to impress Dipper." Well friend, that's where you're wrong, because I am among the last reamining fans who STILL pay to go see this nonsense a dozen or more times a year, and the FO has done NOTHING to make me want to see the 2008 version of the worst team in baseball! So yes, MacPhail owes it to me, you, the members of our community here, and all the rest of the fans of the Baltimore Orioles, to step up and make this team better. They've already traded Tejada, so NOT trading Bedard and going full rebuild is a collosal failure!

You have to stay positive, man. As soon as tomorrow, we could have an outfield of Markakis, Jones and Scott; an infield of Clement, Roberts, Mora and someone's sister. And a decent closer. We still suck, but we are younger, which would make us less suckier.

You are absolutely right, that could all happen, and I bet Fruitloop Kid would jump for joy, but O's fans have every reason to be skeptical until that happens.

Archived