Major League Baseball is a sham

crowmst3k!

If you want someone to blame,make sure you look at the player's union. They are the ones that allow suspended players to play during an appeals process.

Bingo!

The Joint Drug Agreement suggests a timeline of 20 days to conduct the hearing once the appeal has been filed and a decision by the arbitrator within 25 days of the hearing’s opening. However, union executive director Michael Weiner said immediately upon the suspension that he did not expect a resolution to A-Rod’s appeal until November or December. The JDA does allow changes to the timeline in cases with “good cause” for delays.

And I echo the sentiments of several posters in that if Rodriguez was stinking up the Yankees with horrible defense and offense, this thread wouldn't even exist. Rodriguez isn't ruining the Orioles shot at the postseason; the Orioles are ruining it all by themselves.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bingo!

The Joint Drug Agreement suggests a timeline of 20 days to conduct the hearing once the appeal has been filed and a decision by the arbitrator within 25 days of the hearing’s opening. However, union executive director Michael Weiner said immediately upon the suspension that he did not expect a resolution to A-Rod’s appeal until November or December. The JDA does allow changes to the timeline in cases with “good cause” for delays.

And I echo the sentiments of several posters in that if Rodriguez was stinking up the Yankees with horrible defense and offense, this thread wouldn't even exist. Rodriguez isn't ruining the Orioles shot at the postseason; the Orioles are ruining it all by themselves.

This whole process should have started months ago and been decided by now. What "good cause" is there for delaying this for another two or three months beyond the season?

This whole process should have started months ago and been decided by now. What "good cause" is there for delaying this for another two or three months beyond the season?

It should have already taken place but by the very nature of the CBA, it's a long and complicated process created by and agreed to by MLB and the union.

It's my understanding that the Rodriguez defense team did not receive MLB's evidence against Rodriguez until after the sentence was passed down and his formal appeal was filed in early August. It is supposedly volumes and volumes of evidence in many formats and would take a considerable amount of time to go through and digest.

So, there is the lawyers' time that is needed to dissect and evaluate and then prepare a long and detailed defense and rebuttal. It's very similar to a trial with witnesses called, testimony, presentation of evidence, cross examinations, etc.

Rodriguez has the right to be present at the hearings without being forced to be away from the team during those hearings.

And finally, the three-member panel that includes representatives from the Players Association and MLB as well as independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz had to coordinate and agree to a date which would accommodate all parties involved. They held a status conference meeting on September 4th and agreed to open the process on the first day after the regular season ends. If, by chance, the Yankees are involved in postseason play, the date will need to be moved to allow him to play.

Maybe the next CBA will address the appeal process and timetables.

This all comes down to legality and contracts. A-Rod was suspended for 211 games. He has the right to appeal (our country--including the national past time--has protection for the innocent). This is simply a case of 'innocent until proven guilty.' Obviously, with the other factors (including previous usage) this is a bit different from most cases and the court of public opinion may have already rendered him guilty, but the CBA doesn't have a provision to allow different action in such cases. As such, he has the right to play (provided the Yankees want to play him) until his case is heard.

The next issue is the claim that the case should have been heard weeks ago. That seems valid, but the issue here is MLB had months and months to prepare its case against A-Rod before suspending him. Before an arbitrator hears a case, the defense needs to be afforded adequate time to investigate and mount its case and two weeks is NOT enough time.

Overall, this whole situation is unfortunate, but unavoidable by MLB. Their only options would have been to do what they did or wait until after the season. That might have avoided having "suspended players impacting the postseason race" but it would have led to more 'cheaters' having an impact prior to punishment. It also would have meant that the suspensions for ALL the players involved would bleed into 2014 and prolong the story even longer. I believe MLB wanted to get it out of the way this year (as much as possible) and move on.

It sucks that A-Rod is able to play. It sucks that he's been a thorn in our side. It is unfortunate for baseball, but there is no conspiracy.

Apparently the arbitrator who is tapped to hear the case will be unavailable to hear it until November, or something like that. At least that's what I heard.

It seems insane that MLB and the union collectively agree to an appeals process that could be delayed for such a long time.

This isn't about losing, as much as it's about this absolute scumbag being able to play and affect the playoff race because the process can't be expedited for whatever reason.

I hope the douchebag is banned for life. He's making a mockery of the sport. He's damaging it worse than Pete Rose did due to his gambling. The trust in the integrity of the sport will never be there if this type of situation is allowed to continue.

My biggest complaint is, if A. Roid knows he's going down for this, what deterrent does he have to not be juicing now? He looks as big as I've ever seen him.

Seriously. Again, the player is elevating himself above the game using delays and loopholes, all the while teams with clean players are having their playoff hopes severely altered.

Guest rochester

In my case, the whole "if he stunk this series" thing is wrong. I could care less if he went o-fer and threw in a couple of errors that lead to O's wins. I just can't stand to see his smug, arrogant, cheating smirk while playing. Of course, I always hated it, but now it feels like he is spitting in the face of every player and fan. His arrogance and inflated sense of self-worth were unbearable before, now, I actually get angry.

Apparently the arbitrator who is tapped to hear the case will be unavailable to hear it until November, or something like that. At least that's what I heard.

It seems insane that MLB and the union collectively agree to an appeals process that could be delayed for such a long time.

This isn't about losing, as much as it's about this absolute scumbag being able to play and affect the playoff race because the process can't be expedited for whatever reason.

I hope the douchebag is banned for life. He's making a mockery of the sport. He's damaging it worse than Pete Rose did due to his gambling. The trust in the integrity of the sport will never be there if this type of situation is allowed to continue.

Did you read posts 33 and 35? The appeal is scheduled to be heard on September 30th. It's an approved process. He is not using loopholes and stall tactics. Just because you detest the guy doesn't mean he isn't entitled to due process as was agreed to by MLP and the union.

And what makes you so sure all the other teams have "clean" players? You're being na?ve.

Does anybody think Rodriguez is currently NOT cheating? I believe he is, because he is so rich I'm sure he buys a designer drug that is undetectable. He could have his own team of scientists for all we know.

And what does he care if he gets caught again? This could be his last season anyway.

If they could figure out a way to have balanced schedules and still have the Yankees and Sox play each other 18 times a year they would do it.

Well... that's easy. You just divide up into geographically-based leagues where you only play the other 8 teams in your league. Exactly 23 games against each of the other seven teams for a 161-game schedule. You'd get more Yanks/Sox matchups for ESPN and a perfectly balanced schedule.

Of course balance between leagues would probably be more prounounced than the AL/NL split is today...

Archived