Revisiting Duquettes' second half moves

Frobby

In my mind both starting pitching moves made sense. Norris is here 2 more years and fits financially. Feldman has pitched well and cost us players that weren't going to work out here.

The mistakes made were the smaller pieces. We still don't have a DH that can hit RHP. Krod didn't make an impact-did he have the chance?- and that became more important down the stretch with O'Day hurting. Our bench in general hasn't given us much this year. The Krod trade to me is the only one I question in terms of what we gave up. The fact though is the starting holes were filled fairly well but the bullpen help and DH issues weren't addressed well enough.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What rental? Are you talking Delmonico for Krod? Norris is here for 2 more years that costed us the most. We gave up Strop and Arrieta for Feldman and may also of gotten a 2nd catcher.

Not fair in my mind to compare us to Boston. Look at what they paid for Dempster, we aren't doing something like that. Norris fits our economic model.

I compared the Os to the first place team in our division - Boston. If that team were Tampa, I would have posted the same thing .... but you are right that I cannot compare our economic model to Boston's, which is why we should be trying to win by gathering prospects and draft picks and not dealing them away. We see teams like Oakland and Tampa moved players for prospects ALL THE TIME while maintaining low payrolls. The road map is there to compete with the big boys, but our GM has decided to deal prospects for veterans and we will enter this coming offseason farther behind Boston than we were when the season began - because of our GM.

Norris shouldn't fit the economic model of any team because he's not very good.

I compared the Os to the first place team in our division - Boston. If that team were Tampa, I would have posted the same thing .... but you are right that I cannot compare our economic model to Boston's, which is why we should be trying to win by gathering prospects and draft picks and not dealing them away. We see teams like Oakland and Tampa moved players for prospects ALL THE TIME while maintaining low payrolls. The road map is there to compete with the big boys, but our GM has decided to deal prospects for veterans and we will enter this coming offseason farther behind Boston than we were when the season began - because of our GM.

We have a core to win now. Once again who did we give up that you are worried about Hader? I don't see how we are further behind Boston due to what we did. We had holes in the rotation, he filled them.

Norris might not be great but he also might be a solid #5 starter in the AL East. We all know we need to do better developing pitching, I don't see how unless Hader makes it where we have done that. That pick isn't a going to play a role until years down the road anyway, even if it does.

We have a core to win now. Once again who did we give up that you are worried about Hader? I don't see how we are further behind Boston due to what we did. We had holes in the rotation, he filled them.

Norris might not be great but he also might be a solid #5 starter in the AL East. We all know we need to do better developing pitching, I don't see how unless Hader makes it where we have done that. That pick isn't a going to play a role until years down the road anyway, even if it does.

Well, you don't know which of these B prospects will pan out - do you? That's why you keep them and develop them. A large majority don't pan out, but the ones that do, like all pre-arb everyday players, are worth their weight in gold. If you don't care about your B prospects and Top 40 draft picks, that's fine. I do and I guess we'll have to disagree there.

The "that pick isn't a going to play a role until years down the road" mentality is for GM's with short careers ....

What I don't understand about your opinion is that you say we can't compete with Boston (from an economic model point of view), yet you believe should deal prospects for veterans because of a "core to win now". Do you see how well the As and Rays have maintained their competitiveness? They have traded guys like Dan Haren, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Garza and they still compete because they trade "core" players for future core players - as we did with Bedard. There are ways to trade "core" players and get younger and cheaper and even better.

Those organizations avoid listening to fan's clamoring to sacrifice prospects to help the "core to win now" by dealing so-called "core" players to become an organization of strong and deep assets. This second type of organization stays competitive for a long time.

Well, you don't know which of these B prospects will pan out - do you? That's why you keep them and develop them. A large majority don't pan out, but the ones that do, like all pre-arb everyday players, are worth their weight in gold. If you don't care about your B prospects and Top 40 draft picks, that's fine. I do and I guess we'll have to disagree there.

The "that pick isn't a going to play a role until years down the road" mentality is for GM's with short careers ....

What I don't understand about your opinion is that you say we can't compete with Boston (from an economic model point of view), yet you believe should deal prospects for veterans because of a "core to win now". Do you see how well the As and Rays have maintained their competitiveness? They have traded guys like Dan Haren, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Garza and they still compete because they trade "core" players for future core players - as we did with Bedard. There are ways to trade "core" players and get younger and cheaper and even better.

Those organizations avoid listening to fan's clamoring to sacrifice prospects to help the "core to win now" by dealing so-called "core" players to become an organization of strong and deep assets. This second type of organization stays competitive for a long time.

Last time I checked we were in the pennant race this year. We trade one pick and Hader and now all the sudden we have turned into the Raiders or something. If every season we deal away pick after pick and it becomes a habit than I would agree. We have invested in a lot of pitchers in the draft.

We gave up one pick and one pitcher, not 5. The player we received is here 2 more seasons. Do we have a history of trading away young players for older players? Kind of hard to play in the AL East and play it safe all the time and win. We all know we need to do a better job in terms of drafting and developing talent if we want to win over the long haul. I don't think one trade changes that.

Those teams traded those players because they can't afford to keep them. We traded away players who haven't even proven that they can become big leaguers. I doubt very seriously that DD is going to go for broke and trade away future assets like they are going out of style.

You're right, you never know which B prospects will pan out. The fact that DD is willing to let go of them under certain - IMO reasonable - conditions is a refreshing change of course. There's an element of risk involved in any trade and the potential for miscalculation needs to be factored in. In other words, take it for granted that you're going to look stupid every now and then; keep your percentage low and it'll be OK. If the Orioles' record of developing B prospects in recent years were a little better, I would be a little more concerned about DD's moves over the last few months.

If I had to guess about DD's opinion about the overall health of the organization's MiL system I would guess it was on the low side, and I would agree. I would also agree to the proposition that dealing players like Wieters and maybe Davis at this point could be beneficial if the return was right. The best word I can come up with to describe DD's 2012-2013 off season is equivocal. It would be great if 2013-2014 showed a clearer direction.

You're right, you never know which B prospects will pan out. The fact that DD is willing to let go of them under certain - IMO reasonable - conditions is a refreshing change of course. There's an element of risk involved in any trade and the potential for miscalculation needs to be factored in. In other words, take it for granted that you're going to look stupid every now and then; keep your percentage low and it'll be OK. If the Orioles' record of developing B prospects in recent years were a little better, I would be a little more concerned about DD's moves over the last few months.

If I had to guess about DD's opinion about the overall health of the organization's MiL system I would guess it was on the low side, and I would agree. I would also agree to the proposition that dealing players like Wieters and maybe Davis at this point could be beneficial if the return was right. The best word I can come up with to describe DD's 2012-2013 off season is equivocal. It would be great if 2013-2014 showed a clearer direction.

I agree for the most part. We can't develop and keep all our players like the Skankees and Sox. We need to trade some players we know we can't afford before we lose them and replentish the farm. I'm not against trading Wieters this offseason aslong as we get players who are ML ready. I think other then Davis he is our biggest bargining chip. I think we should attempt to sign Davis long term. However, if we are to trade Davis, do it now when his value is at it's highest!

A couple more points. By June 30th we had lost 6 games that we lead going into the 9th and another one by July5th. Since July 1rst we are 3 games under .500 even though we have outscored the opposition by 16 runs. Since the All Star break we are 3-14 in one runs games.

DD saw that in the first half of the season our starting pitching at the back end weren't getting the job done. He addressed that. Chen was out for awhile as well. It is kind of hard to me that DD saw a team that was getting by with smoke and mirrors-which the 2012 team looked like. Davis and Machado were becoming 2 young stars. The bottom line is we should of had more wins than we did up to that point. He traded some "B" prospects to try to improve the team at an area of need. Since the break it has been one tough loss after another. We don't look like a team that is overmatched, we just can't find a way to win.

I guess if DD knew we were going to go 3-14 in one runs games then he shouldn't of tried to improve the team. The 2 wildcard's exist. This isn't 1984 and the Red Sox aren't the 84 Tigers. We had and still have a talented team in which everything has gone wrong the second half of the season. I think DD didn't address the DH spot well enough and based on how Buck has used the pen he needed to give him more there as well. I think though at the end of the day he accurately saw a contending team, things didn't work out and in life sometimes that happens. He didn't give the up the farm to go after it either.

While I generally have disagreed with your argument, I find the bolded statement worthy of consideration. I think you may well be correct. I think the moves that were made were ok in the framework of what DD has. I think the chance that our true cost of the trades, being that we may well enter the coming offseason farther behind Boston than when the year began, will make the offseason interesting.

I don't agree with his take. Sure the moves haven't put us over the top but our failures are primarily bull-pen /closer related with a dash of offensive ineptitude. I would have liked to see Morse make a difference but his replacements like were't much better.

• 1 month later...
Without Feldman and Norris, we would have had a difficult time having a winning season.

The team was doing just fine without them and should have been allowed to play out the season as constructed.

We were passed by about four teams and finished six games out of a playoff spot. We were NOT competitive with them.

Terrible trades no matter how it is sliced - team finish or individual player WAR. Our GM made a fundamentally incorrect decision regarding the team's competitiveness.

The team was doing just fine without them and should have been allowed to play out the season as constructed.

We were passed by about four teams and finished six games out of a playoff spot. We were NOT competitive with them.

Terrible trades no matter how it is sliced - team finish or individual player WAR. Our GM made a fundamentally incorrect decision regarding the team's competitiveness.

Would you rather he did nothing at all? Didn't he owe it to the fans to try after last season? What would you have done with Chen out a month? Ditto, Hammel?

I'm a bit confused by your post. The first sentence implies that our roster was good enough that we didn't need to improve. But I interpret your last sentence as saying that DD overestimated our talent and shouldn't have tried to improve the team because we weren't competitive enough anyway. If I'm wrong, then what did you think DD's fundamentally incorrect decision was?

Would you rather he did nothing at all? Didn't he owe it to the fans to try after last season? What would you have done with Chen out a month? Ditto, Hammel?

I really don't like to post in absolutes, but I am really shocked that such a majority of folks still look favorably upon DD's decisions last summer.

- from a WAR perspective at the major league level, DD gave up more than he received.

- from a prospect perspective, DD gave up multiple top 10 prospects, traded down international slots and gave up a top 40 draft pick. That's a LOT.

- subsequent to the trade, the Os fell six games out of the second wild card and were passed by at least four teams.

- these trades cost the team several $M (maybe we could have used this $ internationally?)

- these trades were made with the knowledge that our September schedule would be very difficult and that several key players on other teams (Yankees - Jeter, ARod for example) would be returning in the second half.

I guess we disagree over what DD owes the fans.

I believe DD owes the fans an accurate assessment of his team's competitive position and to act accordingly. IMO, DD misjudged our competitive position like a drunken sailor and our organization's talent base is weaker now as a result. As I've posted, DD performance last summer in his trades was bottom of the pile GM decision making.

Archived