Roch: Feldman Could Return But Hammel & McLouth Probably Won't

Brendan25

The fact that you're perfectly content with never spending over $5 million on a player is ridiculous. WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THAT WAY. Its not like I'm asking for them to give Cano $20 million. A $12-15 million contract will not cripple the franchise and it'd be stupid for them not to explore that option when it fills a glaring need.

Orioles apologists are the worst.

There are plenty of players that I feel are worth more than 5 million. Davis, Jones, Hardy amongst them.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that you're perfectly content with never spending over $5 million on a player is ridiculous. WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THAT WAY. Its not like I'm asking for them to give Cano $20 million. A $12-15 million contract will not cripple the franchise and it'd be stupid for them not to explore that option when it fills a glaring need.

Orioles apologists are the worst.

I am not a fan of "show" contracts. I want them to approach the actual value.

I guess it wouldn't be. But man. Picks are so valuable. I still believe someone will way overpay for Choo. In money. And years.

They may, but we have different opinions on what would be an overpay. I'd give Choo 5/80. I think adding his OBP in front of Jones and Davis would put up a lot of runs. It might be a less than desirable contract the last year or two, but nothing too terrible. I think he'll be worth his contract over the life of it.

Losing the pick would be tough, especially after losing one for Bud, but we could also look to sign a comparable talent in the Int'l Market, instead of giving our slots away.

They may, but we have different opinions on what would be an overpay. I'd give Choo 5/80. I think adding his OBP in front of Jones and Davis would put up a lot of runs. It might be a less than desirable contract the last year or two, but nothing too terrible. I think he'll be worth his contract over the life of it.

I respect your opinions. I just would be astounded if Choo were worth that much. But, he could be. I'll give you that.

I guess it wouldn't be. But man. Picks are so valuable. I still believe someone will way overpay for Choo. In money. And years.

Hard to believe the these two posts could be back to back:

The Os gave up a pick for Bud Norris.

Picks are valuable.

Perhaps I sail alone in the crusade that our GM's deals from the trade deadline to the end of the season were awful.

Picks are valuable.

Perhaps I sail alone in the crusade that our GM's deals from the trade deadline to the end of the season were awful.

I didn't care about losing Avery for nothing.

The Feldman trade was pretty decent.

I wasn't pleased with the K-Rod trade.

Giving up the Draft pick really bugged me in the Norris trade.

Picks are valuable. They shouldn't be discarded for nothing, they shouldn't be tossed in as a sweetener for a player who'll get you an extra fraction of a win down the stretch run.

But at the same time they need to be properly valued. A 35th overall pick has an average value of a maybe a win, two wins tops. So $5-10M. Basically one full season of a league-average player, or a good reliever. One year of Ryan Flaherty this season was one win. Tommy Hunter or Miguel Gonzalez, roughly two.

Picks are valuable. They shouldn't be discarded for nothing, they shouldn't be tossed in as a sweetener for a player who'll get you an extra fraction of a win down the stretch run.

But at the same time they need to be properly valued. A 35th overall pick has an average value of a maybe a win, two wins tops. So $5-10M. Basically one full season of a league-average player, or a good reliever. One year of Ryan Flaherty this season was one win. Tommy Hunter or Miguel Gonzalez, roughly two.

All true.

How much is the #22 pick worth?

How much more then that is Hunter Harvey worth right now?

In most cases I am willing to roll the dice with the promise of six years of team control at reasonable prices.

All true.

How much is the #22 pick worth?

How much more then that is Hunter Harvey worth right now?

In most cases I am willing to roll the dice with the promise of six years of team control at reasonable prices.

I'm sure the #22 pick is worth a bit more than 2 wins. The curve is mostly an exponential decline from #1 overall, around a win or so once you get much beyond the 1st round.

But yes, the distribution inside picks is like that, too. Any single pick will have a handful of MLB stars and regulars and a bunch of zeros. Trading a package of probabilities like that is a risk, but one you shouldn't shy away from trading if the return is right.

Once in a while you'll get bit, sometimes badly, but if Bud Norris pitches up to his last few years (which isn't great) he'll be more than worth the average value of a comp pick. My issues in the past were mainly that the O's had no other sources of talent than the draft, so trading a pick was almost suicidal. Duquette seems more likely to go other places like international free agency which can make up for a lost pick.

Picks are valuable.

You are not alone... I believe that DD was fleeced in every deal

The Cubs got a their 2014 #5 starter and closer for our 3 month rental of Feldman. Arietta and Strop in 2013 had more WAR for the Cubs than Feldman did for the O's.

The Brewers got a prospect for a 3 month rental of a bullpen arm that Buck didn't trust to use.

The Mariners got a 23 yo AAA outfileder for 20+ at bats of Michael Morse.

And the big loser the Astros got their starting left fielder , a top prospect, and a sandwich pick for a bullpen arm that will cost the O's 5 million in arbitration.

You are not alone... I believe that DD was fleeced in every deal

The Cubs got a their 2014 #5 starter and closer for our 3 month rental of Feldman. Arietta and Strop in 2013 had more WAR for the Cubs than Feldman did for the O's.

The Brewers got a prospect for a 3 month rental of a bullpen arm that Buck didn't trust to use.

The Mariners got a 23 yo AAA outfileder for 20+ at bats of Michael Morse.

And the big loser the Astros got their starting left fielder , a top prospect, and a sandwich pick for a bullpen arm that will cost the O's 5 million in arbitration.

Did you want Pedro to keep appearing in games? If not you can't complain about him being traded away, he was out of options.

Avery is not a MLB player, pure and simple. The only thing the Mariners got in that team was some salary relief.

Hader is not a "top prospect" and Hoes is not a starting left fielder on a good team.

Did you want Pedro to keep appearing in games? If not you can't complain about him being traded away, he was out of options.

Avery is not a MLB player, pure and simple. The only thing the Mariners got in that team was some salary relief.

Hader is not a "top prospect" and Hoes is not a starting left fielder on a good team.

Hoes will have a higher OPS than Nate McClouth next year

Orioles 2013 BA Prospect Ranking:

1. Dylan Bundy, rhp

2. Kevin Gausman, rhp

3. Jonathan Schoop, 2b/ss

4. Nicky Delmonico, 1b/2b 5. Eduardo Rodriguez, lhp

6. L.J. Hoes, of

7. Xavier Avery, of

8. Mike Wright, rhp

9. Branden Kline, rhp

10. Adrian Marin, s

DD had his clock cleaned... and now with nothing left to trade in the offseason... we will once again throw money at middling free agent and reclamation projects.

Archived