Roch: Feldman Could Return But Hammel & McLouth Probably Won't

Brendan25

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding the Nationals, if hating them is wrong...I don't want to be right.

Still rooting for the Nationals with their rights case.

Whatever the Nats get the O's get. PA can still pocket it but at least there will be increased viability.

It is painfully obvious that a great deal of MASN profit is not going to the O's.

Regarding the Nationals, if hating them is wrong...I don't want to be right.

I'm with you 100% on this. It's weird to me, because I'm not one of those "Balt. vs. DC" guys. There's just something about them I don't like.

Back to our situation....

If we are serious about contention next season, we need to do better than McLouth in LF and we better hope that Markakis can go back a bit and find his stroke.

We need to be looking at upgrade at multiple positions.

I think that the letter of the agreement was such that the increases the Nationals have asked for are unjustified. And obviously an arbitrator or two agrees with me. But you do have better insight into this and I would be glad to hear what you do know.
The Nats are asking for the moon and Angelos is lowballing. The arbitrators haven't taken sides which is why this is still in purgatory.

Still rooting for the Nationals with their rights case.

Whatever the Nats get the O's get. PA can still pocket it but at least there will be increased viability.

It is painfully obvious that a great deal of MASN profit is not going to the O's.

I completely understand this. But remember, just because he moves the money from one pocket to the other does not mean he will spend it. And giving it to Washington just assures you that he will look to cut costs elsewhere to make up for the loss.

The Nats are asking for the moon and Angelos is lowballing. The arbitrators haven't taken sides which is why this is still in purgatory.

And the Expos get to play in DC. They don't get to set their rights fees. Like other legitimate franchises do. They gave away their rights as a dowry. They get it back in very small increments.

Probably not. I would rather have the possibility of local or national media holding him accountable then the current situation.

That is pretty unlikely. And I think at his age, Peter could not care less about what anyone he does not already know and trust says or thinks about him.

Heard over the weekend the Giants signed or are signing Hunter Pence to a 5 year 90 million contract. If Pence gets that what is Granderson or Ellsbury worth? Seems to me that McLouth is a bargain at 2 years 10 million.
That Pence contract is brutal. I guess the Giants needed to waste the Zito money as fast as possible.
Or maybe, with the 25 million additional TV money, they assume that FA Outfielders are going to go for a ton more.
If they weren't before, with the Pence contract they will now.

I don't think that the Pence contract is as far out of market as these comments suggest. Torii Hunter signed a 5 year, $90 mm deal covering 2008-12 after being worth 14.5 fWAR in his previous five seasons. Pence has been worth 17.8 fWAR in the last five years, he is younger now than Hunter was when he signed his deal, and the value of 1 WAR has increased about $500 k in the last five years. So, while the Pence deal may seem a little rich, I don't think it represents some sea change being caused by the new TV deal.

I don't think that the Pence contract is as far out of market as these comments suggest. Torii Hunter signed a 5 year, $90 mm deal covering 2008-12 after being worth 14.5 fWAR in his previous five seasons. Pence has been worth 17.8 fWAR in the last five years, he is younger now than Hunter was when he signed his deal, and the value of 1 WAR has incrased about $500 k in the last five years. So, while the Pence deal may seem a little rich, I don't think it represents some sea change being caused by the new TV deal.

It should be interesting. I just never thought that highly of Pence.

Archived