O's Willing to Trade Wieters Via Ken Rosenthal

andrewrickli

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> willing to trade Wieters. Both Wieters and Chris Davis two years away from free agency and represented by Scott Boras.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">November 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/400672985524502528

If we trade MW, do we sign a Salty or Ruiz?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> willing to trade Wieters. Both Wieters and Chris Davis two years away from free agency and represented by Scott Boras.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">November 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If we trade MW, do we sign a Salty or Ruiz?

Salty is a guy whos OBP is going to be below 300. He wont have the Green Monster to smash balls off of. This could get interesting.

I was told the complete opposite from a player with knowledge. He said, they aren't going anywhere, but it shows how fast things can change.

This goes against everything I was told, but Rosenthal seems to think differently.

Rosenthal's tweet says that he hears the Orioles are willing to trade Wieters. All it says about Davis is that he, like Wieters, is 2 years away from free agency. He doesn't say that the Orioles are willing to trade Davis. Am I missing something?

I feel sure that the O's would rather sign Wieters long term. But if he will not sign, a trade while his value is high this off season is something that Wieters would be forcing them into.

Exactly, and this may be a play to see if they cant expedite the extension talks.

I feel sure that the O's would rather sign Wieters long term. But if he will not sign, a trade while his value is high this off season is something that Wieters would be forcing them into.

I am not sure the bolded is true. I do think that the O's see a difficult Arb situation this year with Matt. When was that last time an Arb player took a salary pay cut?

I think you may be misrepresenting what Rosenthal tweeted unless he said it elsewhere. His tweet was:

"Orioles willing to trade Wieters. Both Wieters and Chris Davis two years away from free agency and represented by Scott Boras."

Nowhere in that tweet does he say that the Orioles are willing to trade Davis. It just states that Davis is 2 years away from FA. To me that means they have 2 big contracts coming up in 2 years.

Coming off a poor year theres no way Boras will let Wieters extend for less money.

Trade now or forever hold your peace.

Less money? I think both Boras and DD will look at Wieters as a 750 OPS guy. Not valuing him at his 2013 stats. So its realistic money not less money.

I am not sure the bolded is true. I do think that the O's see a difficult Arb situation this year with Matt. When was that last time an Arb player took a salary pay cut?

I am sure the O's aren't looking to cut Matt's salary. He will get an increase. The question is how much and for a long term contract, how long.

I am sure the O's aren't looking to cut Matt's salary. He will get an increase. The question is how much and for a long term contract, how long.

Without extension, they will either have to offer him a 1 yr deal or go to Arb. I believe his 2013 salary was $5.5mm. Not completely sold the he would get an increase if it goes to Arb and my guess is that they aren't excited to give him a raise after 2013. Boras isn't going to negotiate a long term contract coming off the season he just had. Kind of a bad situation really.

Archived