MLB has now decided to eliminate home-plate collisions at home plate

Greg

Have you ever seen a runner come barreling into a shortstop's head or chest while standing up? I haven't. But I've seen that plenty of times with home-plate collisions. That's what makes home-plate collisions more dangerous than collisions at second.

Albert Belle took out that 2Bman that one time... but your point still stands. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Catchers don't move because usually it's not a force out. The plays at 2nd are almost always on DP-type situations that are force outs.

They often do block the base on stolen bases though. At least straddling second base is considered a good strategy to get the out there. Still, they tend to get out of the way pretty quick. A catcher doing that with shinguards and full body armor may not be as concerned about somebody sliding into him. I'm sure MLB will figure it out. As has been stated, it'll be about regulating the catcher and the runner.

Catchers don't move because usually it's not a force out. The plays at 2nd are almost always on DP-type situations that are force outs.

Also, once the runner touches home, the run counts. He doesn't have to maintain contact with the base. At 2nd and third you are out if tagged after over-running or over-sliding the base. So a shoulder-first slam into the fielder makes no sense at those bases, since the runner would most likely be tagged out in the aftermath of the collision, even if he was successful in dislodging the ball, since he would in most likelihood no longer be in contact with the base.

Maybe Spalding will come out with pink shinguards and chest protectors now. And a feather duster for the Umps. The lets protect everyone movement is starting to annoy me.

I stopped watching baseball when Ban "Wuss" Johnson started up his so-called clean American League in 19-and-aught-one. No fistfights and umpire beatings meant the end of baseball as it is meant to be played.

I stopped watching baseball when Ban "Wuss" Johnson started up his so-called clean American League in 19-and-aught-one. No fistfights and umpire beatings meant the end of baseball as it is meant to be played.

You always take the contrary view so this isn't surprising. If you start with home plate collisions you can make an argument that throwing a baseball at a batter is inherently dangerous and so on. When does it end? With slow pitch softball?

You always take the contrary view so this isn't surprising. If you start with home plate collisions you can make an argument that throwing a baseball at a batter is inherently dangerous and so on. When does it end? With slow pitch softball?

Well, it pretty much ends with this rule.

Making this change with safety in mind does not change the way the game is played. Pitchers throwing the ball is a fundamental part of the sport. Besides, changes were implemented many moons ago to make that safer.

Would you like to see the awarding of first base on a HBP be eliminated in the name of "manliness." Keep dirty balls in play at twilight? No more batting helmets? Have those previous (and much more significant) rule changes degraded the game?

I don't fall for slippery slope arguments. I think they're usually lazy and sensationalistic. Batting helmets didn't lead to wrapping everyone in bubble wrap and playing with whiffle balls.

Rational people can just decide to do what makes sense.

Archived