The Comp draft pick is hurting free agency.

bpilktree

Guys like Garza, Ubaldo and Santana will go quickly after the Tanaka saga is over. Who it hurts is the older guy who is really only going to get a 2 or 3 year deal to begin with. Morales is very much worth 3/36 which gives him every right to turn down 1/14. Unfortunately the new rule has devastatingly bad effects on guys who are older and simply good not very good to great.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys like Garza, Ubaldo and Santana will go quickly after the Tanaka saga is over. Who it hurts is the older guy who is really only going to get a 2 or 3 year deal to begin with. Morales is very much worth 3/36 which gives him every right to turn down 1/14. Unfortunately the new rule has devastatingly bad effects on guys who are older and simply good not very good to great.

If he had been willing to accept 3/36 before Seattle made it's choices he would probably not have had an issue.

The comp-draft pick is a collectively bargained process to get rid of the type designations of free agents, which will continue to be compensated for as they always have. Much better than having middle relievers as free agents that receive compensation because they are designated type A or type B. I am waiting for a player to accept a qualifying offer. It will then get much smoother for all.

^ This.

Once some of these players actually wise-up and start accepting the QO's (Lohse, Morales, etc.), teams will be less-inclined to offer them.

I like that teams get a comp pick if they lose a FA, but dislike that another team loses a pick for signing a free agent.

To me, the whole intent was throw poor teams a bone who couldn't resign there own guys.

This could be achieved by giving comp picks (just add picks on to the end of the 1st or 2nd round) when a guy you draft or trade for who's service time is under some threshold leaves your organization and is signed by another MLB team.

Done and Done.

I'm sure the whole collectively bargained thing is intentionally putting these other elements in to try and reduce FA salaries.

^ This.

Once some of these players actually wise-up and start accepting the QO's (Lohse, Morales, etc.), teams will be less-inclined to offer them.

Their agents won't allow it. They want the commission on the multi year contracts. Boras seems more fixated on AAV so he may be the first to permit his guy to accept one.

I like that teams get a comp pick if they lose a FA, but dislike that another team loses a pick for signing a free agent.

To me, the whole intent was throw poor teams a bone who couldn't resign there own guys.

This could be achieved by giving comp picks (just add picks on to the end of the 1st or 2nd round) when a guy you draft or trade for who's service time is under some threshold leaves your organization and is signed by another MLB team.

Done and Done.

I'm sure the whole collectively bargained thing is intentionally putting these other elements in to try and reduce FA salaries.

Yours would be a good plan.

The idea of compensation was always intended to limit free agency raiding to a point. I think that if the Yankees would not have to give up their accumulated picks to sign some of these players that they would have more of the prime ones.

The idea of compensation was always intended to limit free agency raiding to a point. I think that if the Yankees would not have to give up their accumulated picks to sign some of these players that they would have more of the prime ones.

You could tie getting the comp picks to the luxury tax. Maybe there is some team salary number you must be under in order to receive a comp pick.

I don't think you can limit free agency raiding. Losing a late first round pick to sign a star player is an no brainer, the MFY's don't flinch at that. Its teams like the 2014 Orioles that is hurts. Its better to enable teams to replenish and sign there own guys. If a player gets to FA, its kinda too late to stop raiding.

They tend to mass buy. Once you lose the first round pick giving up the lower picks is easy.

Compensation makes no sense. The whole idea behind free agency was to remove team control over players whose contract was up. The current system is a legacy of the reserve system. If teams want more control over players, they should sign them to longer contracts or contracts with options. Once a player becomes a free agent, he should be just that; free to sign with any team with no strings attached.

You could tie getting the comp picks to the luxury tax. Maybe there is some team salary number you must be under in order to receive a comp pick.

I don't think you can limit free agency raiding. Losing a late first round pick to sign a star player is an no brainer, the MFY's don't flinch at that. Its teams like the 2014 Orioles that is hurts. Its better to enable teams to replenish and sign there own guys. If a player gets to FA, its kinda too late to stop raiding.

The current plan allows for the original team to have a big advantage if they choose to pursue resigning the pick attached player.

Compensation makes no sense. The whole idea behind free agency was to remove team control over players whose contract was up. The current system is a legacy of the reserve system. If teams want more control over players, they should sign them to longer contracts or contracts with options. Once a player becomes a free agent, he should be just that; free to sign with any team with no strings attached.

The idea is two fold:

1- Suppress Free agent salaries.

2- Try and limit the advantages higher revenue teams have.

The idea is two fold:

Its failing at #2. Instead its hurting middle of the pack revenue teams like the Orioles who could use these free agents but also need that 1st round pick. High revenue teams value that pick less because they just sign free agents to make up for it.

The idea is two fold:

Bad idea times two. They can suppress free agent salaries and give players true freedom by eliminating the artificial ramp to high salaries: arbitration. Let players be free agents after four years. No arbitration. No compensation.

Bad idea times two. They can suppress free agent salaries and give players true freedom by eliminating the artificial ramp to high salaries: arbitration. Let players be free agents after four years. No arbitration. No compensation.

Well, from an ownership standpoint suppressing free agent salaries is a helluva good idea. The only way it would be bad was if it caused a player drain that effected revenue.

Archived