Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

I think the Yankees just spent around $500mm to put an 85 win team on the field. If everything breaks their way they can win the east. Same as the Orioles. But this is not some juggernaut like we saw in the late 90s/early 00's. It's like comparing current Tiger Woods to 2000 Tiger Woods.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunno. Does the MLB ball fit in his hand? Will the extra weight add to his arm stresses?
Tanaka led his team to a championship in the National High School Baseball tournament as a junior for Komazawa University Tomakomai High School in 2005 and a runner-up berth in the same tournament as a senior in 2006

Kaibutsu X2?

I agree with this completely. The Orioles not only DONT reload,they REGRESS.

Aside from the half a billion dollars, please explain to me Roy how the Yankees have improved. They were barely a winning team in 2013 and out performed their metrics . The players who missed time with injuries are no more likely to significantly rebound than say Markakis or say Gausman. The players they lost are significant and have been replaced with older players who also have high injury risk. Tanaka is a great addition but very few see him as an ace immediately. Seems to me that the Orioles and the Yankees are very similar in possibilities except for the fact that they have a better rotation on paper and they have spent significantly more than we have. And of course they are all members of AARP.

I get that because of this, that if we would spend say.....20-50 million, we may be the team to beat. But I think the Yankees are throwing money into the wind.

Aside from the half a billion dollars, please explain to me Roy how the Yankees have improved. They were barely a winning team in 2013 and out performed their metrics . The players who missed time with injuries are no more likely to significantly rebound than say Markakis or say Gausman. The players they lost are significant and have been replaced with older players who also have high injury risk. Tanaka is a great addition but very few see him as an ace immediately. Seems to me that the Orioles and the Yankees are very similar in possibilities except for the fact that they have a better rotation on paper and they have spent significantly more than we have. And of course they are all members of AARP.

I get that because of this, that if we would spend say.....20-50 million, we may be the team to beat. But I think the Yankees are throwing money into the wind.

They have an extremely demanding fan base to placate.

I agree. I just think at the end of the day, our approach to buying lots of cheap controllable talent vs spending a fortune for proven talent from 5 years or more ago is better. Well, that and I would like to think that in general our fan base is smarter. :)

Nova = Norris.

Last year Nova was pitching at Tillman-like levels for the Yankees. Some complete game shutouts. A long string of 7+IP outings. He went deeper into ballgames than Tillman.

He did this with a much higher GB + lower HR rate than Tillman which sabermetric people seem to think is a good predictor of future success and he is only one year older than Tillman.

I'd like to think he regresses and becomes nothing more than a Norris, but I fear he could be more.

I disagree with a lot of this, namely that Gausman is our number two. Here is how I see our rotations stacking up.

Tanaka > Tillman (though not by a ton)

CC > Chen

Kuroda > Gonzalez

Nova = NorrisPineda/? = Gausman/?

The Yankees rotation is better.

In what universe is Bud Norris = Ivan Nova

Nova may be the best pitcher on this list, Norris is horrible, a career 1.45 WHIP, if not for pitching for the worst team in baseball he would have never been in a starting rotatation.

In what universe is Bud Norris = Ivan Nova

Nova may be the best pitcher on this list, Norris is horrible, a career 1.45 WHIP, if not for pitching for the worst team in baseball he would have never been in a starting rotatation.

What? This Ivan Nova?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/novaiv01.shtml

If you're going to troll, at least pick something to say that you might have a chance to defend in some small way. Nova is clearly bottom rung on this list by any measure. Norris is his only competition.

With the exception of Norris' clear superiority (1.7) in K/9 and Nova's 0.7 lead in BB/9 (which more than accounts for the 0.049 difference in WHIP), the 2 pitchers are comparable.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/norribu01.shtml

The 2014 Yankees are hard to assess because so much of their position talent is (or may be) in decline, with past /future injury issues as well as performance questions and most of their pitchers are surrounded by uncertainties of various types that make it hard to predict how they'll do, But that said, I think they have substantially improved over last year their chances of making the playoffs. If you assume they're willing to spend $250 million (luxury tax included and posting fee spread out over four years) or so in 2014, with the goal of making it to the post-season, they've made mostly smart moves, other than not retaining Cano, not signing Drew and getting Jeter off the field, where he'll hurt them and maybe himself badly. Unlike a year ago, they now have some depth -- which they're likely to need. And I doubt that they're done with their pitching or infield.

What? This Ivan Nova?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/novaiv01.shtml

If you're going to troll, at least pick something to say that you might have a chance to defend in some small way. Nova is clearly bottom rung on this list by any measure. Norris is his only competition.

With the exception of Norris' clear superiority (1.7) in K/9 and Nova's 0.7 lead in BB/9 (which more than accounts for the 0.049 difference in WHIP), the 2 pitchers are comparable.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/norribu01.shtml

Well if you want to ignore that last year in his age 26 season Nova had a breakout year with a 9-6 record, 3.10 ERA, 1.28 WHIP

and finished the season strong with two complete game shutouts in his last 6 starts

That would be two more complete game shutouts than Bud Norris has had in his career.

But yeah in the strange Orange world you live in Bud Norris is equivalent to Ivan Nova.... boy I'd make that trade and throw in Matusz to boot.

Well if you want to ignore that last year in his age 26 season Nova had a breakout year with a 9-6 record, 3.10 ERA, 1.28 WHIP

and finished the season strong with two complete game shutouts in his last 6 starts

That would be two more complete game shutouts than Bud Norris has had in his career.

But yeah in the strange Orange world you live in Bud Norris is equivalent to Ivan Nova.... boy I'd make that trade and throw in Matusz to boot.

You cited lifetime WHIP when you posted your incorrect number. Now that you are easily proven wrong, you decide to cherry pick. As the record shows, Nova's only competition for the bottom of that list is Norris. Troll on.

Archived