Do you want Burnett?

DrLev

Should the O's acquire Burnett?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's acquire Burnett?

• Yes
    • No

Someone tell me a reason for no. The dude basically was ready to retire, he's not a 4 year sign, I dont think hes more than a 1/14 sign, and I'm good with that. Sign me up for 2/22, if he turns into a dumpster fire, cut him, this team can gamble with some money, we have more chips then are being shown.

So you are sayin...

mo-money-o.gif GIFSoup

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd offer him 1/15 and be done with it. No to a second year and no options.

I'd also sign Hammel for a long relief/spot starter roll that could turn into late relief if he proves to be successful. If he's resistant to being put in the pen then overpay a bit.

Someone tell me a reason for no. The dude basically was ready to retire, he's not a 4 year sign, I dont think hes more than a 1/14 sign, and I'm good with that. Sign me up for 2/22, if he turns into a dumpster fire, cut him, this team can gamble with some money, we have more chips then are being shown.

Because 1/14 is 14 of the 17 remaining marbles. If you get Arroyo at 10 marbles you can add a reliever or additional hitter.

I voted yes, however I think outside the box. If Matusz/Britton look good in the spring, I'd love to talk AJ into closing out games. In fact, he may be into that. He could coast into retirement as a dominate closer. I may be nuts, however I haven't seen a World Series game involving the Birds in 30 years. Prior to that, they were in pennant races almost every season. (without free agency)

]

I'd offer him 1/15 and be done with it. No to a second year and no options.

I'd also sign Hammel for a long relief/spot starter roll that could turn into late relief if he proves to be successful. If he's resistant to being put in the pen then overpay a bit.

From what I've read we aren't a clear choice for him to start, but I think Hammel has a better repertoire than Norris and should be told he'd be given every opportunity to start. I'm much more on board with that idea and one of Burnett/Arroyo(in that order but not by much) than both of them.

I was hoping that "hell yes" would be an option, but it wasn't, so I just voted "yes".

He's got the best stuff of any of the four remaining FA starters, he won't require more than 1-2 years of commitment and he won't cost a draft pick. He gets strikeouts and ground balls--a perfect fit for a team with a home-run park and a great infield defense. The only downside is that he hasn't pitched well in the postseason.

And there is no reason the O's shouldn't get him, unless he has some antipathy to the organization (e.g. being leery of the Orioles' medical staff). The O's gave themselves payroll space by salary-dumping Jim Johnson and haven't used it on anyone else. They have no excuse if they don't get this done.

Because 1/14 is 14 of the 17 remaining marbles. If you get Arroyo at 10 marbles you can add a reliever or additional hitter.
Just a thought. QS% is an important pitching stat, IMO. It means how often does the SP give his team a chance to win. how often does he do his job. Not to put up great peripherals. Kershaw had an 82 QS% last year for comparison. Burnett 60%. Arroyo 69 % Santana 71 % and Jimenez 50%. Our best SP Tillman had a 63.6 QS%.

Just a thought. QS% is an important pitching stat, IMO. It means how often does the SP give his team a chance to win. how often does he do his job. Not to put up great peripherals. Kershaw had an 82 QS% last year for comparison. Burnett 60%. Arroyo 69 % Santana 71 % and Jimenez 50%. Our best SP Tillman had a 63.6 QS%.

I agree with this. QS% combined with a (hoped for) better or equal offense would put a premium on Arroyo as affordable and without a draft pick given, which is why I'm in the Arroyo camp. That said, I think the question regarding whether or not one wants Burnett, should be framed as Do You Want Burnett... Or Hammel?

The results are still not conclusive enough. Please, everyone, take a second to log in and vote. This is the only way we are going to be able to definitively answer this question with the poll results sitting as there are right now. :D

What kind of question is this? The poll is a simple "yes" or "no", and "no" is an acceptable answer that doesn't need defending. If you don't think Burnett is going to be successful 1) in Camden Yards 2) at age 38 -- a very possible outcome -- then obviously the alternative is "don't sign him". I don't think Nelson Cruz'll be successful, but I don't want to sign him just to sign a name that isn't Markakis or Lough, both of whom could easily outproduce him. If I felt Burnett was gonna give us a 4.75 ERA, I'd rather try anything else.

That said, I'd like us to sign Burnett, I'm just trying to not get my expectations up in any way. Lance Berkman had a killer 2011 and now he's retired. It's not Burnett's 2013 season we'd be paying for.

I don't think Camden Yards should be a consideration here, considering Burnett's 2.34 GB/FB ratio the last two years, and his relatively high K rate. Age and just general fluctuation in a pitcher's performance are the bigger issues. I don't think I would assume an ERA below 4.25 for Burnett -- but then, I wouldn't assume it for Arroyo, Santana or Jiminez, either. If I get 200 IP and a 4.25 ERA from a starter that we sign, I'll be very content.

I agree with you, I like QS% metric too.

But 14-17 million for 60% QS, ouch.

Archived