Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

After looking through Cruz's splits, I find it interesting that he shows a little bit of Wieters-like development. Granted, Wieters is a switch hitter so his progression vs lefties and righties is different, but I am speaking more broadly in terms of their expected growth as hitters.

Wieters was a better hitter from the left side of the plate, and everyone thought once he put it together as a righty, he would achieve Switch Hitting Jesus status.

Cruz, up until 2011, was arguably a better hitter against righties than he was lefties, with his OPS hovering around .950 for a lot of that time. It was only after 2010 that his production dipped below .800 against RHP. Begs the question as to whether he made a change in his approach, or righties changed how they pitched to him.

Maybe Buck knows what changed since his time in Texas.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Roch heard Morales was a "definite no" last night, I wonder why he didn't report it. Seems like that's the thing reporters do, no?

My guess is that if word got on the street that Morales was no longer under consideration (for whatever reason) it could give Cruz more leverage?

After looking through Cruz's splits, I find it interesting that he shows a little bit of Wieters-like development. Granted, Wieters is a switch hitter so his progression vs lefties and righties is different, but I am speaking more broadly in terms of their expected growth as hitters.

Wieters was a better hitter from the left side of the plate, and everyone thought once he put it together as a righty, he would achieve Switch Hitting Jesus status.

Cruz, up until 2011, was arguably a better hitter against righties than he was lefties, with his OPS hovering around .950 for a lot of that time. It was only after 2010 that his production dipped below .800 against RHP. Begs the question as to whether he made a change in his approach, or righties changed how they pitched to him.

Maybe Buck knows what changed since his time in Texas.

Maybe he just aged. And stopped using PEDS.

My guess is that if word got on the street that Morales was no longer under consideration (for whatever reason) it could give Cruz more leverage?

Evidently the Cruz deal was kinda in place last night. The details got hammered out while he was boarding his plane to take the physical that they set up for him on a Sunday.

Here's the roster, IMO

RF Markakis

3B Machado

CF Jones

1B Davis

DH Cruz

SS Hardy

LF Lough/Reimold

C Wieters

2B Flaherty/Weeks

Clevenger, Weeks, Reimold, Peguero

Tillman

Jiminez

Chen

Gonzo

Norris

Hunter

O'Day

Webb

Matusz

Aceves

Stinson

Britton (then Patton)

That leaves us with Gausman in AAA as depth and replacement for someone as soon as May.

They've given themselves the chance to make the playoffs and contend without sacrificing anyone in the minors. Not too bad.

I may be caught up in the emotions of the moment, but I am thinking about a post-all star break scenario where Schoop and Urrutia have played their way into the line-up at 2b and LF. That would be a solid/sick 1-10 at the plate.

Here's the roster, IMO

RF Markakis

3B Machado

CF Jones

1B Davis

DH Cruz

SS Hardy

LF Lough/Reimold

C Wieters

2B Flaherty/Weeks

Clevenger, Weeks, Reimold, Peguero

Tillman

Jiminez

Chen

Gonzo

Norris

Hunter

O'Day

Webb

Matusz

Aceves

Stinson

Britton (then Patton)

That leaves us with Gausman in AAA as depth and replacement for someone as soon as May.

They've given themselves the chance to make the playoffs and contend without sacrificing anyone in the minors. Not too bad.

This looks about right to me. Yoon should start the year in Norfolk unless he really shows something this spring, same with Urrutia. Pearce or Reimold is a major question to be sorted out, either way we will be losing a pretty quality player, and I'm looking forward to watching Peguero first hand this spring, I know his being out of options possibly gives him a leg up. Weeks does have an option so Casilla, Gonzalez or another could still be a better possibility there as well. There are a couple of other bullpen arms in camp that could make the squad over Stinson and Britton, we'll see... :) I'm sure I'm forgetting other players and scenarios as well.

Buck had him when he was much younger and was a better outfielder and you wonder if that memory will still hold for Buck. Which would be bad for the defense.

Buck wants to know who will hit when the game is on the line, and Cruz has consistently hit very well with runners on base and in scoring position.

Signing Ervin Santana would require spending another 50 million dollars. For a guy who has an un-repaired ulnar collateral ligament tear.

He has pitched multiple 200 inning seasons since then. That being said I realize it will not happen. I think it would be awesome but I'm ready to watch this team go at it. :)

He has pitched multiple 200 inning seasons since then. That being said I realize it will not happen. I think it would be awesome but I'm ready to watch this team go at it. :)

Yes he has. ANd he made it to the free agent finish line with it still in his arm. Maybe he should not have stuck to his 100 million dollar demand so long. Looks like he doesn't really have a chair.

I'll give DD the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'd prefer to keep the pick and let Reimold DH though that would not have gotten us very far the past few years.

The talk about Cruz being incented to play well is funny - as if he weren't incentivized last season. Hopefully, we have a gentleman's agreement that Cruz will turn down our QO next year and put him back in this same position next year.

Interesting to me that we put this last stack of $ into Cruz and to give up the pick when we tried to sign Balfour for about the same $ without giving up the pick. Now we have a bit of a hole at closer (hopefully we don't derail Gausman's career into the closer position if Hunter and other's struggle there). Also interested in what Santana signs for. I would prefer to cough up the extra $, pick and commitment for Santana than Cruz.

I'll give DD the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'd prefer to keep the pick and let Reimold DH though that would not have gotten us very far the past few years.

The talk about Cruz being incented to play well is funny - as if he weren't incentivized last season. Hopefully, we have a gentleman's agreement that Cruz will turn down our QO next year and put him back in this same

I'm sure he did have plenty of incentive last year. He was on pace for 40 HR before getting suspended. What kind of numbers were you expecting?

Archived