Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

No, we gave up a first for a pitcher who was horrible 1 of the last 3 years (he had a 3.60 FIP in 2011, he was hurt by being a groundball pitcher with terrible defenses behind him). And we gave up a 2nd for a good home run hitter in a low risk move... why does being a "Cheater" have anything to do with his production? Does moral issues somehow make him a worse player?

They did an analysis on Jiminez this morning on Chin Music with Al Galdi and he analyzed the stats and the stats said Jiminez was only bad in 2012, and they said he was battling injuries that year. They rated this a good move by the O's. The only major concern is that Jiminez velocity has declined for 3 straight years and that's a bit scary.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we are roughly around $100M in terms of effective payroll.

PROJECTED OPENING DAY PAYROLL

C Wieters $7.7MM

1B Davis $10.35MM

2B Flaherty $500K

SS Hardy $7MM

3B Machado $500K

LF Lough $500K

CF Jones $13MM

RF Markakis $15MM

DH Cruz $8MM

BN Reimold $1.025MM

BN Pearce $850K

BN Clevenger $500K

BN Casilla $500K

SP Jimenez $9MM

SP Tillman $508K

SP Chen $4.072MM

SP Gonzalez $502K

SP Norris $5.3MM

RHP Yoon $750K

RHP O'Day 3.2MM

LHP Matusz 2.4MM

RHP Hunter 3MM

RHP Webb 2.25MM

RHP Aceves $1.2MM

LHP Britton $500K

X- LHP Patton 1.275MM

Grand total: $99.382MM

That is consistent with BB-ref.

If you don't like this deal because it rewards cheaters= its a bad deal.

If you don't like this deal because Cruz is aging= its a bad deal

If you don't lie this deal because Cruz is a mediocre at best defender= its bad deal

If you like this deal because it is only one year with a ton of incentive for Cruz to play his best= its a good deal

If you like this deal because Cruz was having a great season last year BEFORE HE WAS SUSPENDED and looks to be able to recreate it again= its a good deal.

I would've MUCH rather had Morales, but Cruz can, in a pinch play LF and runs pretty well.

VERDICT FOR ME:

I'LLTAKE THIS DEAL. HAPPILY. CANT WAIT TO SEE A MOTIVATED CRUZ IN DH or LF.

LETS GO O's.

I like the idea of signing a player that isn't aging. Any suggestions?

Couple things about that payroll I posted- I didn't include Yoon's bonus. Casilla likely makes double or slightly more the minimum if he makes the roster, but I don't have those numbers. All the ML mimimum guys likely will make more than the bare $500K minimum, but we're only talking small amounts at that point.

Don't all the guys on the 40-man count towards payroll, regardless of whether or not they are on the 25-man? They are still on major league contracts.

Don't all the guys on the 40-man count towards payroll, regardless of whether or not they are on the 25-man? They are still on major league contracts.

That is not correct. Some guys (Reimold, Pearce) have guaranteed ML deals. Most of them will make minor league salaries unless they get called up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cruz flying from DR into miami right now. Drive to Sarasota tonight.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think we are roughly around $100M in terms of effective payroll.

PROJECTED OPENING DAY PAYROLL

C Wieters $7.7MM

1B Davis $10.35MM

2B Flaherty $500K

SS Hardy $7MM

3B Machado $500K

LF Lough $500K

CF Jones $13MM

RF Markakis $15MM

DH Cruz $8MM

BN Reimold $1.025MM

BN Pearce $850K

BN Clevenger $500K

BN Casilla $500K

SP Jimenez $9MM

SP Tillman $508K

SP Chen $4.072MM

SP Gonzalez $502K

SP Norris $5.3MM

RHP Yoon $750K

RHP O'Day 3.2MM

LHP Matusz 2.4MM

RHP Hunter 3MM

RHP Webb 2.25MM

RHP Aceves $1.2MM

LHP Britton $500K

X- LHP Patton 1.275MM

Grand total: $99.382MM

I still find it disingenuous to only count $750k for Yoon. $675k signing bonus brings him to $1.425 million for this year. The signing bonus is pretty clearly just an advance on the first year salary. He is set to make $1.75MM in 2015, and $2.4MM in 2016.

I hate giving up a draft pick for one year.

Hopefully the Orioles continue to go international to supplement the lost picks.

If you believe the "window of opportunity" concept with the current Orioles, the signing of Jiminez and Cruz and the loss of the draft picks is totally acceptable. And as you noted, the Orioles have expanded their international signings to compensate. IMO, these are definitely win/win moves by the Orioles.

If you believe the "window of opportunity" concept with the current Orioles, the signing of Jiminez and Cruz and the loss of the draft picks is totally acceptable. And as you noted, the Orioles have expanded their international signings to compensate. IMO, these are definitely win/win moves by the Orioles.

Our draft this year essentially looks like this now:

#17 - Ubaldo Jimenez

#35 - Bud Norris

#55 - Nelson Cruz

Thats likely far more value then we'd actually get out of those draft picks.

Archived