Does Trout Deal Set The Market for Machado? (Update: 6/$144.5M)

TonySoprano

Thats $25M per year, which is the upper echelon of todays players. For a guy thats only played 2 full seasons that is more than fair money.

That's actually underpaying him. He was a 10 WAR player last year. 8.8 the year before.

If Trout doesn't sign, he will be the first $35m a year player come 2018.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was Manny I wouldn't have interest in it then. Why would he sign a 7-10 year deal after 2016 when he is only two years away from free agency?

If Machado was smart he would sign a deal similar to this that bought out two of his free agent years and made him a free agent when he was 28 years-old in September 2020. That way, if everything worked out he would get two huge contracts instead of just one.

You're right if we, and most posters seem to, assume that MM is only motivated by money. He told Peter Schmuck in March 2013 that he wants to join Frank, Brooks and JP on legends wall at Sarasota. He can't do that by leaving. Maybe he doesn't have to break the bank. And ownership needs to step up to the challenge.

You're right if we, and most posters seem to, assume that MM is only motivated by money. He told Peter Schmuck in March 2013 that he wants to join Frank, Brooks and JP on legends wall at Sarasota. He can't do that by leaving. Maybe he doesn't have to break the bank. And ownership needs to step up to the challenge.

You extend him now and even a market deal won't break the bank. It isn't as if the O's wouldn't be taking on significant risk here. He does have an injury history and if his bat turns out to be more like the second half of last season then the first then he won't hit enough for superstar status.

I believe he would not make 40 million in ARB even if he continues to play well. So you are paying 50? And then 50 a year? Ridiculous. Sorry for two years, that is an 60 million dollar over pay. At least.

It's really not. Remember how breaking $100m in mid 90s was a big deal? In a few years breaking $300m will be easy. Local TV money is sky rocketing. Angels have $147m a year deal. It pays for it's payroll already with some extra left over for 2014.

Yankees will be end up getting close $350 by 2042. And we just saw the Dodgers drop $33m a year for Kershaw.

You're right if we, and most posters seem to, assume that MM is only motivated by money. He told Peter Schmuck in March 2013 that he wants to join Frank, Brooks and JP on legends wall at Sarasota.

And you believe that cr*p? He would be crazy to take a deal below his market value.

Re Trout, Adam Jones is a better comparison than Manny. Manny only has one season under his belt at this point, plays a different position, and is just a different kind of player. I would say 6/$150 for Trout is pretty fair to both sides, but also shows how good a deal we have gotten with AJ. Trout could make a lot more if he continues to produce, but this would guarantee him $150 million in the event of an injury.

And you believe that cr*p? He would be crazy to take a deal below his market value.

Re Trout, Adam Jones is a better comparison than Manny. Manny only has one season under his belt at this point, plays a different position, and is just a different kind of player. I would say 6/$150 for Trout is pretty fair to both sides, but also shows how good a deal we have gotten with AJ. Trout could make a lot more if he continues to produce, but this would guarantee him $150 million in the event of an injury.

How is Jones a better comp then Andrelton Simmons?

You extend him now and even a market deal won't break the bank. It isn't as if the O's wouldn't be taking on significant risk here. He does have an injury history and if his bat turns out to be more like the second half of last season then the first then he won't hit enough for superstar status.

Okay, but how many years if he's extended now.

I didn't say he should take a deal for less than his value. What I am saying is that he will be open to extension at the right price. Many folks seem to think he's going to automatically test the market and look for the biggest deal. The Orioles have to be smart and prevent that, and they can.

How is Jones a better comp then Andrelton Simmons?

Sorry, I mean Jones is a better comp for Trout. CF with similar amount of experience when AJ signed his extension.

Re Manny, I would be shocked if he stays with the O's if he makes it to free agency. That is why the O's should lock him up now if they can. I am sure he is sincere about Brooks and Frank and his respect for the game, but when it comes time to make the biggest decision of his life he will follow the money, as he should. That does not make him a bad person - he can do a lot of good with $200 million.

I think Trout makes 40-50 M through arb., then he gets a 10/350M deal as a FA. So you have to pay him more than that for 6 years if you want him to give up 2 of his FA years. 6/150 M sounds about right to me. As to Manny I think 7/90M would work for both, But if he has a good year with the bat the price goes up exponentially.

Trout won't make 30 million over the next four years. To give up two FA years at 40 per season, that is only 110 million. What Am I missing?

Trout has one more year at approximately league minimum, and then three arbitration years projected between 50-60M. Out of the rumored 6/150M deal, that leaves two years at 40-50M apiece. So I guess I was low, which only further proves my point that Trout isn't giving any kind of a discount in this hypothetical.

Archived