College Players leaving early thread

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's now or never for UNC...Jawad Williams, Melvin Scott, and Jackie Manuel are seniors, plus underclassmen Felton, McCants, May, and Marvin Williams are all rumored to be entering the draft this year, so that's their top 7 players that could potentially be gone after this season. Personally, I think McCants and either May or Marvin Williams will stay (maybe both, but I doubt it), but these next few weeks have to be a nervewracking time for Heels fans.

I wonder what, if any, affect Matt Leinert's decision to stay at USC will have on these sorts of top college basketball underclassmen...

I agree that you'll probably see a good many UNC players go for the draft. I think Felton and McCants would be the biggest possibilities. If Marvin Williams were older than a freshman, I think he'd be gone as well.

Anyone think Redick or Williams will bolt to the NBA?

I agree that you'll probably see a good many UNC players go for the draft. I think Felton and McCants would be the biggest possibilities. If Marvin Williams were older than a freshman, I think he'd be gone as well.

Anyone think Redick or Williams will bolt to the NBA?

Redick? No chance...Williams is a maybe although early indications are he won't leave.

As for the Carolina guys...Alot depends on if they win it all this year i think.

Redick has said he's staying. Sheldon Williams is rumored to be considering going, but, as with any Dookie, it's never easy to leave the womb that RatFace bolts shut.

Marvin Williams' father has said he'll be back for at least one more year, and Williams himself has hinted at it, but it's far from a sure thing.

McCants is rumored to be staying for now. He supposedly wants to be on campus while his sister is enrolled as well. His sister, FYI, is the Carolina women's team's star recruit for next year. Also there is some indication that McCants might have been given some kind of incentive to stay by Roy Williams. There is a rumor that Williams promised to accompany McCants to the Green Room on Draft Day if he stays for a 4th year. That is something Williams has never done for any of his players before.

May is not being seriously discussed as one who will leave. I've seen no indications of it, although his father has said that he will use his connections in the NBA to determine the best course for Sean.

Felton, IMO, is the most likely to leave, as he's considered it in each of the past two seasons. I really feel that the only way he stays is if they fall just short of a championship and everyone else agrees to return too.

Losing Charlie wont help UConn but they are at worst going to be #3 team in the country next year. If UNC brings everyone back they're 1 and maybe Kentucky or some other team could be better but I doubt it. This also clears up a major log jam UConn had for next year with Andrew Bynum coming in along with Boone, Nelson, and Armstrong up front. Everyone else returns and AJ Price will be playing.

Not sure if Charlie is a first round pick though but hopefully he gets selected in the first round as he is a decent guy. This will also be his second time declaring so he cant return to UConn. His mother is very sick and if she didnt need the money I think he would have come back to school.

Losing Charlie wont help UConn but they are at worst going to be #3 team in the country next year. If UNC brings everyone back they're 1 and maybe Kentucky or some other team could be better but I doubt it. This also clears up a major log jam UConn had for next year with Andrew Bynum coming in along with Boone, Nelson, and Armstrong up front. Everyone else returns and AJ Price will be playing.

Not sure if Charlie is a first round pick though but hopefully he gets selected in the first round as he is a decent guy. This will also be his second time declaring so he cant return to UConn. His mother is very sick and if she didnt need the money I think he would have come back to school.

Duke, if they bring everyone back, will be the #1 team next year.

They lose Ewing but they are bringing in 3 McDonalds all americans, including one of the top PG's and center available.

The deal with May is an odd one-the reason we all think he'll stay is because he'll be a 6'8 PF in the NBA without the outside game or quickness to guard NBA PF's on the perimeter. Yet, even if he stays for his SR. yr that won't change. Plus, with Felton (and possibly others) gone will he have as good a yr next yr? The way he has been playing down the stretch may get his stock as high as it ever will be, and so he may seriously think of bolting. I'd be happy to encourage him if he wishes.

Marvin Williams, in my opinion, would be the highest drafted of all the Tar -Heels if he entered this yr's draft. The NBA loves 6'9 guys who are fast, quick and athletic. Plus, he doesn't seem to be a jerk (which may actually be the best chance UNC has of keeping him-he actually cares about the program a lot). But, if your a lock to go top 7, why stay and risk injury? I know he didn't start, but so what? Neither did Magette and he went lottery and has a 60 million dollar deal.

My point regarding May almost seems to fit S. Williams as well, although he doesn't get as many scoring opportunities as May. The NBA does like to find players who are good defenders.

Duke, if they bring everyone back, will be the #1 team next year.

They lose Ewing but they are bringing in 3 McDonalds all americans, including one a top PG and center.

First of all, if Carolina brings back their 4 underclassmen, they are #1, not Dook. UNC is also bringing in 3 McDonald's All-Americans, including a top SG and PF. (FYI, SG, you should be more excited about McRoberts, the PF, than Boateng, the C.)

But even if Carolina doesn't bring back enough guys to be #1, I'm not sure that Dook is deep enough to get a #1 pre-season ranking. Top 3 definitely, but not necessarily #1.

Kentucky will be highly ranked, UConn will be highly ranked, and Villanova will be highly ranked. So will Washington, who I believe is very young, and who is getting two of the better McDonald's A-A's as well (Webster and Brockman). And kansas is getting 3 McDonald's A-A's as well and will be a top program too.

The deal with May is an odd one-the reason we all think he'll stay is because he'll be a 6'8 PF in the NBA without the outside game or quickness to guard NBA PF's on the perimeter. Yet, even if he stays for his SR. yr that won't change. Plus, with Felton (and possibly others) gone will he have as good a yr next yr? The way he has been playing down the stretch may get his stock as high as it ever will be, and so he may seriously think of bolting. I'd be happy to encourage him if he wishes.

Marvin Williams, in my opinion, would be the highest drafted of all the Tar -Heels if he entered this yr's draft. The NBA loves 6'9 guys who are fast, quick and athletic. Plus, he doesn't seem to be a jerk (which may actually be the best chance UNC has of keeping him-he actually cares about the program a lot). But, if your a lock to go top 7, why stay and risk injury? I know he didn't start, but so what? Neither did Magette and he went lottery and has a 60 million dollar deal.

My point regarding May almost seems to fit S. Williams as well, although he doesn't get as many scoring opportunities as May. The NBA does like to find players who are good defenders.

These are good points. That's probably why NBADraft.net recently predicted May as the #22-24 pick in the 2006 draft. He's not going to ever be a lottery pick.

Marvin Williams is a guy who has said he wants to provide for his mother, who worked like a dog to get him through school. On the other hand, he's the type who makes a commitment and sticks to it, which, according to his father (who he's close with, but not on the same scale as his mother), means a minimum of 2 years.

But I think the biggest factor at this point to the Carolina guys is that they are all having such a good time and enjoying each other, school, and playing basketball. That's why all the rumors indicate that if they had to make a decision now, all 4 would come back. Of course, that will change after the season when they need to start thinking in terms of dollars and cents, and when finals are upon them.

Nate Robinson isnt coming back to UW as he stopped taking classes. They also lose at least 2 other starters (maybe 3) who are seniors and word is Brandon Roy wants to come out as well but I think injuries will make him stay next year. They do have a top 3 recruiting class and should be very good, just not top 5.

And SG, McD AA dont mean squat anymore. The great players will go pro since they won't be able to leave until their junior year if when Stern implements the age requirement. Look at the teams that are still around and find me one that is relying on freshman in multiple positions.

Also, Shelden Williams and Sean May are nuts if they return and Bogut is too slow to be the number one pick. He'll be lottery but he gets pushed around by bigger defenders which will hurt his draft stock.

First of all, if Carolina brings back their 4 underclassmen, they are #1, not Dook. UNC is also bringing in 3 McDonald's All-Americans, including a top SG and PF. (FYI, SG, you should be more excited about McRoberts, the PF, than Boateng, the C.)

But even if Carolina doesn't bring back enough guys to be #1, I'm not sure that Dook is deep enough to get a #1 pre-season ranking. Top 3 definitely, but not necessarily #1.

Kentucky will be highly ranked, UConn will be highly ranked, and Villanova will be highly ranked. So will Washington, who I believe is very young, and who is getting two of the better McDonald's A-A's as well (Webster and Brockman). And kansas is getting 3 McDonald's A-A's as well and will be a top program too.

I agree that if UNC brings their team back that t hey will be #1 but Felton is gone and i would bet that at least 1 of the other 3 are gone. Take those 2 out, plus the seniors they are losing and no way will they be #1.

Archived