College Players leaving early thread

For all the people talking about UCONN and how good they'll be next year, don't be surprised if Gay leaves too.

Max: Bogut will be a top 3 pick. Many NBA scouts have him at #1 right now, if Paul leaves he'll compete for that spot as well. M. Williams as well.

As for UNC, I would guess that at least 2 of the 4 in question will leave. And yeah, May is a little short, but how is his stock going to rise much more? He's dominating, he's not going to do much better next year.

Same with Sheldon. Reddick will most likely stay, but he would be a first round pick if he left and don't see how his stock would rise much more.

Gilchrist is leaning towards leaving, borderline first round pick right now.

Couple other ACC players to watch are Diaz and Jack.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll check on Gay's status and see if anyone's heard anything but what I was told earlier in the year was that there was no way he was leaving and nothing that has happened since changes my opinion.

I don't follow the situation much, but I've read that he would be a top 10 pick if he left, probably even top 5. Also hear rumours that he's thinking about it.

I don't follow the situation much, but I've read that he would be a top 10 pick if he left, probably even top 5. Also hear rumours that he's thinking about it.

I've heard they expect Rudy gone after next year. He's probably a lottery pick if he leaves but I think he'll be late lottery. His play was sporadic and he didnt show up in a lot of games and drifted a lot. I think a lot of teams probably look at his game as similar to Joe Johnson right now with his drifting and inability to take over a game. An all Big East performance next year should move him into the top 3.

From Chad Ford: 2. Rudy Gay, Connecticut

The line: 6-9, 220, Freshman

"The skinny: At the start of the season, scouts debated whether Williams or Gay was the better prospect. Williams has moved ahead of Gay, mostly because of his versatility. But Gay isn't far behind. In many ways he's having a better season than Williams and really has come alive of late. Gay has great size for a small forward. He is an above-average athlete with serious hops. He's also deceptively strong. He does just about everything well. He can slash to the basket, pull up for the mid-range jumper, beat up a defender in the post and make the perfect pass. If his ball handling was just a little bit better, there wouldn't be anything to question. Scouts also claim he's a great kid with a tireless work ethic. While the chances of his returning for a sophomore season are strong, he's a top-five pick if he comes out now."

He's already likely top 5. But he does say the chance of returning is strong.

Here's a post from a Carolina message board regarding their players. I don't know about this guy's credibility, as I'm not on there too much, but I've seen several other posts the last few weeks with similar comments as far as staying/going:

I know ya'll are focused on they tourney, but my uncle is a scout for an NBA team, and i talked to him today about your NBA prospects; Heres a summary:

Raymond Felton: Most scouts love him, some arent so sure; Great leader, really improved shooting; If he declares will be a sure lottery pick. 50/50 to declare

Rahshad McCants: Questions on his attuitde/desire; can score with the best of them, but which player will show up; Will he be the next big name player from Carolina or will he be the next Forte; Needs another year to solidify himselef; Most likely returning to Chapel Hill.

Sean May: Great college player, but how will he fare in the NBA?...A bit undersized at more like 6'7 1/2 compared to listed as 6'9....Plays hard wiht a lot of desire.. dominates on the boards and an effective scorer.....Sources say he is an almost lock to return next season.

Marvin Williams: By far the best prospect in this group; scouts drool over this kids abilty: unlimited potential; Could be the first overall pick; However most feel he is loyal to the program and will return for at least one more year

]]Marvin Williams: By far the best prospect in this group; scouts drool over this kids abilty: unlimited potential; Could be the first overall pick; However most feel he is loyal to the program and will return for at least one more year

Wait, i thought McCants was the best and McCants would be drafted higher? :rolleyes:

Wait, i thought McCants was the best and McCants would be drafted higher? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you're solely directing this at Brotherlowe, but McCants is the better college player at the moment.

BTW, McCants is projected to be a borderline lottery pick.

I'm not sure if you're solely directing this at Brotherlowe, but McCants is the better college player at the moment.

BTW, McCants is projected to be a borderline lottery pick.

No i wasn't. I have been told on here by some people, including some of the UNC fans(may have been Bro Lowe) that McCants was the best player and would be the highest player drafted on their roster.

No i wasn't. I have been told on here by some people, including some of the UNC fans(may have been Bro Lowe) that McCants was the best player and would be the highest player drafted on their roster.

I recall commenting that I thought McCants would be the best pro out of all of them - certainly disputable, as its just an opinion - but I don't think I said he would be drafted higher. I'm also not sure if we were including Marvin in that discussion - it may have been referencing the JR's only, I really don't remember.

I think there might have been someone saying Rashad would flame out as a pro, and I was defending him.

It sure wasn't me. I've been saying for months (and I'd be happy to produce the posts to prove it) that M. Williams is the highest pick among the 5 guys likely to get drafted on this year's roster, followed by Felton and then closely by McCants thereafter.

If M. Williams comes out, he's a top 3 pick.

If Felton comes out, he goes somewhere between 7-11.

If McCants comes out, he goes somewhere between 9-14.

If May comes out, he goes somewhere between 22-26.

And J. Williams is likely to go in the early-to-middle second round.

I happen to agree with the poster from the Carolina board. I think 3 of the 4 are back, and Felton only comes back if they fall just short of the championship.

And with a lineup that includes McCants, May, M. Williams, David Noel, Reyshawn Terry, Quentin Thomas, plus the 3 HS A-A's (especially Frasor,who can run the point too), Carolina is still a top 10 team. If Felton is back, they are #1.

Let me tell you guys something....If May is picked in the 20's that is an absolutely travesty. This guy is very similar to Brand and Boozer and no reason that he can not be a double double guy averaging 18 and 10 in the pros.

I know he is not in th ebest shape in the world and he could be better defensively but that can be improved.

I would say the same thing about Sheldon Williams here but he does not have the defensive problems, nor the conditioning problems. Another Boozer/Brand type guy.

Marvin Williams and Felton are 2 players i just love to watch play. Despite being UNC guys, i wish them alot of luck in the pros.

Couple other ACC players to watch are Diaz and Jack.

IMHO Jarrett Jack is almost definitely gone. Look at the players that are leaving on his team. Will Bynum, BJ Elder, Luke Schenscher, Anthony McHenry, and Isma'il Muhammad are all seniors this year. That's their entire starting lineup save for Jack. They have a few good prospects coming in next year, namely Lewis Clinch and Alade Aminu. And Ra'Sean Dickey is very skilled. But they lose so much firepower and veteran leadership...I just can't see Jarrett staying around and struggling through his final year. He'll be drafted in the early 20's at the latest, possibly earlier if a team needing a PG is in position. He'll most likely take the Gilchrist route, participating in pre-draft workouts while not hiring an agent, but he'll play himself into the draft.

And Bogut is definitely leaving. I expect all Duke players to stay (Sheldon and Redick) and Marvin and May will remain one more season. Felton I believe goes, unless they miss the Final Four and the team makes a unified decision to try again next year. IMO it would be a mistake for McCants to declare this year, so I'm assuming he'll stay.

I expect Chris Paul to declare, along with Deron Williams from Illinois (he'll ride their success this year to big dollars in the pros).

May is comparable to Boozer but that is exactly why he won't be picked until the 20s. Boozer has had a terrible year for someone making that much money and has been exposed without Ilgauskus playing with him. Williams should be a better pro than May because he is quicker off his feet and can use his body well.

Brand isnt a fair comp to any of these guys because his arms are so long he is able to play much bigger than his actual size.

Archived