MLB continues to be information technology idiots.

tntoriole

Every year for the last five years, I have signed up and attempted to use MLB. TV to see baseball games. And every single year, MLB's IT design and technology is worse than a third world country. Every single year, they farm out parts of their streaming activity to some stupid vendor who is totally and completely incompetent. You end up paying exorbitant fees for usage that is sound only about 50 percent of the time at best. Compared to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu or any other streaming service (including those run by 12 year olds) MLB.TV is just the absolute worst product imaginable. It gets worse every single year which is almost impossible to believe.

Today, I get a constant error message about this ridiculous "next-def" software that blocks the broadcast- I have downloaded it three times, closed out, logged off, rebooted the computer, etc. but it makes NO Difference, only WBAL audio which I am really thrilled to be paying money to hear. Do not use MLB. TV it is still a tremendous ripoff.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every year for the last five years, I have signed up and attempted to use MLB. TV to see baseball games. And every single year, MLB's IT design and technology is worse than a third world country. Every single year, they farm out parts of their streaming activity to some stupid vendor who is totally and completely incompetent. You end up paying exorbitant fees for usage that is sound only about 50 percent of the time at best. Compared to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu or any other streaming service (including those run by 12 year olds) MLB.TV is just the absolute worst product imaginable. It gets worse every single year which is almost impossible to believe.

Today, I get a constant error message about this ridiculous "next-def" software that blocks the broadcast- I have downloaded it three times, closed out, logged off, rebooted the computer, etc. but it makes NO Difference, only WBAL audio which I am really thrilled to be paying money to hear. Do not use MLB. TV it is still a tremendous ripoff.

I have had mlb.tv for 12 years and could not disagree more. The ability to watch any game on any device from anywhere (barring blackouts) with either the home or away broadcast... not sure what's not to like.

I have used MLB.TV for 7 years now and am extremely pleased with the product. True, it has some hiccups but the benefits far outweigh any of the temporary issues.

Regarding your next-def issue (which I have also had in the past) have you gone to your task manager and processes tab to locate nexdef.exe and End Process? Nexdef often crashes on me a lot but all it needs is a simple reboot and not a full re-install.

How are you trying to use it? I stream MLB.TV on my on my TV thru a Roku, and on my Kindle as well, and have no trouble at all. If you're trying to use other devices--like a TV or Blu-Ray player with built-in wireless--perhaps that's the problem. If it's your computer, perhaps there's an incompatibility problem.

My advice: buy a Roku (or similar device) and stream it through your TV. Easy and reliable.

I use a Mac with huge amounts of bandwidth...Netflix, never a problem, Amazon, never a problem, ever, roku,never a problem, smart TV apps never a problem. But MLB. TV- always a glitch, the streaming is awful in comparison to other commercial products.

I have had mlb.tv for 12 years and could not disagree more. The ability to watch any game on any device from anywhere (barring blackouts) with either the home or away broadcast... not sure what's not to like.

Blackouts what are blackouts? ***cough...Use...*cough*a...VPN...cough***

Fine is a comparative term. It works fine at times. But compared to other commercial streaming services, it is still very buggy, in my view.

It's a big difference between live streaming and the other streaming services. I wouldn't exactly expect Netflix quality (assuming Netflix isn't being throttled by whatever ISP, then maybe you should).

It's a big difference between live streaming and the other streaming services. I wouldn't exactly expect Netflix quality (assuming Netflix isn't being throttled by whatever ISP, then may you should).

It doesn't keep them from charging 130 dollars for a "premium" service. Much more than other commercial streaming services (particularly given the blackout issues and the technology glitches.)

It doesn't keep them from charging 130 dollars for a "premium" service. Much more than other commercial streaming services (particularly given the blackout issues and the technology glitches.)

You could just drop it. Save your money and read a good book. Might help your

blood pressure too.

Archived